Is the Peloton screen not responding to touch? Then you must check if it is entirely unresponsive or if only some processes are being prevented. That will make all the difference in the troubleshooting.
When the Peloton screen is unresponsive or not working, you can try power cycling the Bike, resetting it/entering the recovery mode, or even calibrating the screen.
If those do not work, you might try a remote update from the app, and in the worst case, you will have to fully replace the screen.
Let us learn in detail how to fix the issue in easy steps.
Peloton Screen Not Responding To Touch – Reasons
Is your Peloton bike screen not responding to touch? That will certainly be a frustrating situation since you cannot start a workout session.
However, before you try anything to solve the issue, you must understand the probable causes of the issue:
✅ Software Issue
Your Peloton screen may not respond to touch because of a software issue. A bug or glitch in the system might cause that.
✅ Dirty Screen
Your Peloton screen may not respond to touch due to dirt or debris on the screen.
✅ Hardware Issue
If the screen is cracked or damaged, it may not respond to touch.
✅ Calibration Issue
The touch screen also needs to be calibrated to respond to your touch accurately.
✅ Power Issue
Sometimes, the Peloton screen may not respond to touch due to the power plug not delivering enough power or the Bike having some trouble with the power distribution.
How To Fix The Peloton Screen Unresponsiveness
As you can see from the listed reasons behind the issue, it might be simple to solve.
But, of course, it might also require a screen replacement, which takes more work.
The sections below will help you fix the issue, whatever the case is. If you need to disassemble parts, only do that if your Peloton warranty is over.
1. Power Cycle Your Bike
The first solution recommended by the Peloton brand is power cycling your Bike. Perhaps you have already tried turning it on and off.
However, power cycling also involves unplugging the power adapter. That can make a difference because of the electrical circuit involved.
Do the following:
- Turn the Bike off;
- Pull the power adapter from the Bike’s base;
- Wait between 30 seconds and 1 minute;
- Plug the Bike again;
- Turn it on.
Note: Power cycling is helpful in all situations where some part of the Bike's system is unresponsive.
For example, the unresponsiveness might result from power issues, and power cycling correctly will allow the hardware to refresh.
2. Reset The Bike
When facing an issue where some part of the Bike is not working, one of the best practices is resetting it.
Fortunately, you will not use much of the touch screen to start the resetting procedure.
However, suppose the screen is still not responsive by the end of the resetting process.
In that case, other solutions in the article might apply.
- Push the power button on the top of the screen;
- Tap on “Shutdown”;
- Now press the “Power” and “Volume up” buttons;
- Let go of them once the Peloton logo appears;
- The Bike enters Recovery Mode;
- Find “erase data/factory reset”;
- Touch the power button;
- Confirm “Yes”;
- Click “Reboot system now.”
As you can see, the resetting procedure will use only the surface-level part of the Bike’s OS.
Trying to reset it when the touch screen is unresponsive assumes that the unresponsiveness is software-caused.
3. Try An Alternate Reset Method
Suppose the regular resetting doesn’t work on your Peloton bike. In that case, there is still another software alternative that will get through to the recovery mode.
It is sort of a combination between power cycling and resetting:
- Disconnect the power adapter;
- Wait for 30 seconds and connect it back;
- Turn the Bike on;
- The screen must show the Peloton logo;
- Push the “Volume down” and the “Back” buttons simultaneously;
- Let go of both buttons when the screen displays “Android Recovery.”;
If the Bike has entered Android Recovery mode successfully, you must do the following:
- Find “Wipe data/factory reset”;
- Select it (use the power button);
The Bike will take a while and show a “reboot system now” message. You must confirm it and wait until the process is over.
4. Update The Bike Through The App
You must check if the Bike’s screen is not broken. Suppose it is not broken, and the screen shows nothing but is unresponsive.
In that case, you can manage the situation remotely. That is, via the Peloton app on your phone.
Here is what you can do:
- Open the app;
- Tap on the gear icon (settings);
- Find “Bike Settings”;
- Touch on “Firmware update”;
- Tap on “Update now”;
- Confirm and tap on “Update firmware”;
- Once done, tap “Finish”>” Restart bike.”
Note: The bike must be turned on when you open the app to update it.
5. Clean And Calibrate The Screen
This solution will work if your screen responds only slightly but not fully.
- Cleaning and calibrating it will help to achieve full functionality, just like when you used the Bike for the first time.
First, here is how you can clean the Bike:
- Grab a dry, soft cloth;
- Wipe the screen gently;
- Ensure no debris or wet particles are left on the screen.
Note: Since you sweat when exercising, you mustn't let the sweat drip over the Peloton screen.
If possible, buy and apply a protective screen over it (just like on your phone).
How To Calibrate The Screen
If the Bike can recognize only a few of your touches, it needs calibration.
Here is the path:
- Touch on “Settings”;
- Find and click on the option “Touch Screen Calibration”;
- Follow the instructions.
After the calibration, the screen should become 100% responsive again. It is advised to do the calibration once in a while.
6. Replace The Screen
Is the Peloton touchscreen not responsive after all the solutions above? Then you must get in touch with Peloton about it.
Depending on your warranty, they might send you a replacement screen free of charge.
Replace The Regular Bike’s Screen
Once you have the replacement screen in your hands, you must do the following:
- Unplug the monitor cable;
- Detach the touchscreen’s square panel;
- Remove the four screws securing the monitor;
- Release the damaged touchscreen;
- Put the new part in place;
- Secure it with four screws;
- Plug the monitor cable;
Once the new screen is in place, you must turn your Bike on and test it to see if it is responsive.
Replace The Bike+ Screen
As you might know, the Bike and Bike+ have a few differences. That includes how the screen is mounted.
So, when you receive the replacement screen for your Bike+, you must do the following:
- Ensure the damaged touch screen is in a vertical position;
- You must also rotate it 180º to put it away from the handlebars;
- Unplug the monitor cable;
- Slide the screen up;
- Remove the two securing screws;
- Seat the new touchscreen on the monitor mount;
- Secure the two screws;
- Plug the monitor cable;
After that, the new screen is ready for use. First, you must power on the Bike and see if it is responsive.
Tip: When you install a new screen, you must calibrate it. If that option is not immediately prompted, follow the instructions described in Solution #5.
What We Learned
When you check your Peloton screen not responding to touch, you will first have to try some resetting/power cycling methods.
That will ensure whether the issue is on the software or hardware. It is also helpful to keep the screen clean and well-calibrated.
Remember that you might be entitled to free spare parts if the product is still under warranty!
- Hisense TV Screen Mirroring Without WiFi – Fool Proof Guide - September 30, 2023
- How To Make TCL Roku TV Go Straight To Cable? - September 30, 2023
- Can I View My Wyze Camera On My PC? – Fool Proof Guide - September 30, 2023