If your Wemo rules not working, we have the best solutions for you!
By the end of this guide, you will know exactly what is going on with your Wemo’s interface as well as the top-rated and easiest troubleshooting methods out there!
If your Wemo’s rules have stopped working, first try hard resetting the device and make sure its firmware is updated. Next, update the mobile application and try creating new rules for Wemo to follow.
But before we get into the complex troubleshooting, let’s first learn more about the issue and what the Wemo users have to say.
The Wemo Rules are usually used for a daily schedule that Wemo will follow throughout the day.
If for instance, you’ve created a Rule for Wemo to automatically turn off at 7 o’clock, it will fulfill the schedule and turn off at the appointed time.
This is where users have reported that their Wemo doesn’t follow that schedule or misses important times where it should either turn on or off.
Here are some potential causes to why this could be happening:
Any hardware problems or power malfunctions with your Wemo could be interfering with the device, thus preventing the proper schedule work.
If your Wemo’s firmware is out of date, it is possible that some of the rules will not be fulfilled.
A potential fault with the app itself could be making your Wemo skip schedules and not follow the appointed rules.
Users widely report that a network or internet connection problem could impact the creation of the rules.
Now that you know what could be happening to your Wemo device, let’s look into some potential solutions that could help you fix the issue.
Before we proceed any further, try restarting your Wemo and test out the rules for one final time before troubleshooting.
Perhaps the issue could be based on a temporal glitch with your Wemo software, so it is advised to reboot your device first before taking any measures.
If a reboot didn’t help at all, try some of these solutions to fix your Wemo’s rules:
Unlike the casual reboot you’ve already done, there is a more complex way to restart your Wemo.
Follow the steps down below to learn how to appropriately hard reset your Wemo light switch in a matter of seconds:
- Turn OFF your Wemo using the app or the power button.
- Unplug Wemo from the power source and put it away for ~5 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, reconnect your Wemo and test.
In addition to this hard reset, you might as well plug your Wemo into a different power source to evade potential power malfunctions from the current source.
If Wemo doesn’t follow the current rules (schedules) you’ve created, you might have made some logic-based issues and perhaps creating an entirely new list might help.
To create Wemo rules in the first place, you must have access to the Wemo app, which we assume you have already installed on your smartphone device.
Here is how to create a new Wemo rule properly:
- Go to the Wemo app and head to the settings tab.
- Click on “Schedule” and select which Wemo smart plugs you wish to include in the schedule.
- Fill in the required fields (time of the day, brightness, and so on…).
- Finalize the schedule and save it to your app.
- Turn on the schedule to be active from now on.
We recommend creating one signal rule to start with and waiting for it to execute.
If it works well, then the problem might have been logical and other rules might have had a conflict thus, eliminating each other.
If your Wemo rules are not working, it is possible that your Wemo device is simply out of date.
This can often happen since Wemo doesn’t have an auto-update feature and you will have to manually apply the new update packages released from the device’s manufacturers.
Follow these steps to update your Wemo easily:
- Open the Wemo app and make sure you’re signed in.
- Go to the Settings of the Wemo app.
- Click on “Firmware Update” and in the next section, select “Get Update” if the button is green.
Keep in mind that the updates are not automatic.
As soon as a new update is available for your Wemo, you will be prompted to proceed with the upgrade through a pop-up message in your notifications tab.
If your Wemo’s firmware wasn’t the issue after all, then perhaps reinstalling the Wemo app would help.
Keep in mind that reinstalling the app will make your phone forget all credentials for Wemo so make sure to write them down in case you don’t remember them clearly.
Once done, follow the steps down below to reinstall your Wemo app:
- Go to the settings of your smartphone and head to the storage unit.
- Type “Wemo” in the search field and click on “Delete” next to the app icon.
- Once uninstalled, go to your device’s respective app store (Google Play or App Store) and write Wemo in the search field.
- Download the app and login once it is installed.
Create the same rules (schedules) if they had been erased and test out Wemo’s functionality now. If it does not work, let’s take a look at your network in the next solution.
Users report that network and internet connectivity issues could prevent your Wemo’s rules and schedules.
For example, if your network goes down at the moment you’re creating the schedule, it won’t save and it won’t execute afterwards.
Try connecting a proven network, at least until you create and Save your rules. Once done, the network does not play a role anymore, since all rules are stored locally on your device.
If nothing worked so far, then the final step would be to factory reset your Wemo. Keep in mind that this will erase the schedules so you will have to re-create them once the process is over.
Here is how to factory reset your Wemo:
- Go to the Wemo app and tap on “Edit”.
- Select your Wemo smart plug from the drop-down list.
- Tap on “Reset Options”.
- Next, choose “Factory Restore” from the several choices.
- Tap on “Okay” and wait for Wemo to finish.
Your device shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes to reset and make sure that during this time, its power flow will not be compromised.
Once ready you can test the rules again and if they don’t work then you’ll need to contact Wemo customer service for more help.
Read Next: Why Is My Wemo Smart Plug Not Responding?
To fix the not working Wemo rules, first hard reset the device, troubleshoot the network, and reinstall the app. Next, make sure Wemo is up-to-date, try creating a new set of Wemo rules and factory reset Wemo if nothing else worked.
Now that you know why Wemo rules not working, with our top-fix methods, you shouldn’t face any difficulties on your way to fix the issue.
We hope that our methods were enough to solve your problem and if you’re having any other trouble with your Wemo setup, check our blog to discover even more proven solutions.
- Can You Reuse LED Strip Lights? – Complete Guide - September 21, 2022
- What Happens If You Break Contract With Vivint? Fool-Proof Guide! - September 21, 2022
- Does Ring Doorbell Work With Vivint? – Complete Guide - September 21, 2022