Whenever the Discord calls not ringing on your PC or smartphone, there are quite a few possibilities behind the problem.
Discord is a very popular and well-supported application, and the odds of the problem being on your side are high.
This is why in this post we’ll inspect all suspected factors on your side until you know what’s causing the problem and later resolve it.
To fix whenever Discord calls are not ringing, you should first make sure that the incoming call sound is enabled. Then you should allow the application to make calls through the settings and if that does not work, reinstall Discord.
Discord is a multi-platform application but the settings remain the same for all.
In this regard, follow our steps in consecutive order for the best results in troubleshooting.
Let’s start with the obvious:
Regardless of whether you have this issue on your PC or smartphone, the Discord incoming sound must be enabled.
With some Discord versions, this feature may be disabled by default so you will have to manually go into the settings and turn it on.
Let’s first learn how to enable incoming call sound on a PC:
- On your PC, open Discord.
- On the bottom left, tap the cogwheel icon to access the settings.
- Go to the Notifications tab on the side menu of the settings.
- Scroll down and look for a slider labeled with “Incoming ring”.
- Ensure the slider is toggled towards “enabled”.
- Open the Discord app on your phone.
- Head on your profile image at the bottom of the app.
- Access the Notifications.
- Tap System Notifications and then navigate to “In-App Notifications”.
- Make sure that the “Call” feature is toggled on.
Tip: With the incoming call sound enabled on your phone, Discord will also display calls whenever your device is locked.
A basic, yet effective solution is to force restart the Discord app.
All bugs and glitches mainly develop upon opening Discord, so you should get the sound of the calls back by force restarting Discord on your device.
Here’s how to force restart Discord on a PC:
- Tap the “X” icon of the Discord window to close it.
- Tap on the system tray.
- Right-click the Discord app and choose “Exit”.
- Open the Discord app.
- Exit the Discord app using the home button or your phone’s navigation instance.
- Open the temporal memory cache.
- Slide the Discord app out of the memory cache.
- Re-open Discord.
Note: Make sure to give your device a minute before reopening Discord to close all logs completely.
Keep in mind that this solution only works for users who have Discord installed on their Windows devices.
Due to the Windows privacy settings, you have to manually enable applications to make phone calls that will be redirected to your phone.
In other words, enabling Windows to make phone calls, will cause Discord to redirect any calls that Discord makes to your linked smartphone.
To enable this feature, go to Windows > Settings > Privacy > Phone Calls > “Allows apps to make phone calls”. Ensure the slider is towards the “On” side.
Note: Not having your phone linked to Discord (logged onto the same account with your PC), will block the effect of this feature.
Instead of the problem being in Discord itself, there’s a high chance that you’re not hearing the calls in the first place.
Especially with computers and laptops, the output device may be your headphones, while you expect to hear the call through your speakers.
Here’s how to change the output sound device of your PC:
- Minimize Discord temporarily.
- Go to the Windows taskbar.
- Tap on the “Sound” icon.
- Choose your PC speakers or the sound device you have access to.
- Make a friend call you in Discord to test.
Since with phones, the output sound device is the speakers by default, it’s enough to disconnect any headphones from your phone.
Then, go to Discord > Settings > Sound > Output Device and choose your phone’s speakers.
Alert: Shifting the sound device of your PC/phone will redirect the sound stream to that instance.
Whenever Discord calls not ringing the problem might not be at your side, instead, the server permissions might be forbidding the calls.
If you own the server or have a Moderator role, you will be able to adjust the permissions so everybody can hear the calls that this group sends.
Here’s how to Discord call permission settings both on PC and phone:
- Open the Discord app.
- Go to the problematic server.
- On the top pane, tap on “Server Settings”.
- Go to “Permissions”.
- Browse the settings to find a “Allow this group to make calls” feature.
Alert: Everybody in the server, who hasn’t muted the notifications, will now also be rung whenever you or someone else makes a call.
If Discord is outdated, there’s a high chance that this will cause a wide range of issues, including call notification problems.
PC Discord updates are automatic and you can’t disable them as long as you have the app installed.
In that regard, we will only let you know how to update Discord on a smartphone:
- Open Google Play or the App Store on your phone.
- Search for “Discord” on the search field.
- Tap the first result and press the “Update” button.
- Wait for the Discord to finish updating.
- Once updated, start the application and test.
Note: Updating Discord may sign you out of your account.
To conclude the solution guide, it’s recommended that you delete and install Discord again.
In 90% of the cases, this solves the problem but it will reset all your settings and configurations. This is why we left this solution to be last.
Let’s begin with reinstalling Discord on PC first:
- Open the Windows control panel settings from the taskbar.
- Go to the “Installed programs” tab from the available tabs.
- Search for Discord.
- Right-click the app using your mouse.
- Choose “Uninstall”.
- Go to the official page of Discord once the app finishes uninstalling.
- Reinstall Discord.
- Log in to your account.
- Go to the device manager of your phone, within the settings.
- Search all installed apps and locate Discord.
- Tap on the “Info” button and choose “Uninstall”.
- Head back to your phone’s applications store.
- Install Discord again.
- Sign in to your account.
Tip: If you can’t recall your login information, tap on “Forgot password” once the Discord application is reinstalled.
Thus, to solve when Discord calls are not ringing, begin with allowing the app to make calls in the settings and enabling the incoming call sounds. Proceed with reinstalling the application and checking whether the problem appears only on specific Discord servers.
Read Next: Why Does Discord Keeps Logging Me Out?
Whenever Discord calls not ringing in most cases, the problem is on your side or the server is being muted by a moderator.
Another occasion would be if the sound output of your device is occupied by headphones or simply muted.
Using our solutions you should be able to discover and solve the problem in no time!
- Wyze Camera Making Noise? – (7 Proven Solutions!) - December 10, 2023
- Philips Roku TV Won’t Turn On No Red Light? (6 Quick Fix!) - December 10, 2023
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023