Whenever the DIRECTV STREAM not working on Apple TV, there are quite a few things to inspect before running to a conclusion.
Just like any other software the DIRECTV STREAM app can develop issues and prevent you from opening or streaming anything from within.
On the other hand, we’ve your Apple TV OS which, in turn, can also form problems that need some troubleshooting.
To solve the problem when DIRECTV STREAM is not working on your Apple TV, you would need to ensure that your WiFi is functional and that your Apple TV OS version is compatible. Besides that, you should perform some solution methods to fix the problem.
Yes, the DIRECTV STREAM application is available for Apple TVs but there is 1 requirement that has to be met.
Your Apple TV must be running a tvOS 10 or higher for the application to be able to install and run.
To check your Apple tvOS go to General > Settings > About. In case you’re seeing an OS lower than tvOS 10, jump straight to solution #4 from the guide below.
Before we jump into the solution guide, it’s important to go over the right way of installing DIRECTV STREAM on your Apple TV.
Use the steps below to download the application and exclude the possibility of a bad installation.
Here is how to install DIRECTV STREAM on your Apple TV:
- Make sure that your Apple TV is ruining tvOS 10 or higher.
- Open the App Store.
- Search and select DIRECTV STREAM.
- Choose “Get For Free” and enter your Apple ID password.
- Once downloaded, go to the Setting of your Apple TV.
- Select Account > TV Provider and sign in.
- Choose DIRECTV user ID or Enter New by following the prompts.
- Again, insert your Apple ID password and you’re ready.
It’s important to understand that when activating DIRECTV STREAM on your Apple TV, your wireless connection location will become residential.
You will have 3 more times to activate DIRECTV STREAM on another WiFi for the next 12 months.
Note: Open DIRECTV STREAM to understand whether it's now working or not.
Now that you’re aware that the DIRECTV STREAM application is working on Apple TV and how to install it the right way, it’s time to find out why it’s not working.
The application is a piece of software that could develop issues ranging from your WiFi connection to the functionality of your TV and the application itself.
Let’s start with the fastest solutions first and build our way up to more complex fixes:
The fastest way to restart ALL services of your Apple TV and check whether the problem is related would be to perform the so-called “power cycle”.
Besides restarting all services the power cycle or also known as a “hard reset” will entirely discharge your Apple TV.
Here is how to undertake a power cycle on your Apple TV:
- Turn OFF your Apple TV and television.
- Unplug the power cable from the wall outlet.
- Disconnect the HDMI from both ends (your television and Apple TV).
- Wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable (switch its sides).
- Reconnect the power cable.
- Turn ON your Apple TV and television.
Once the power cycle has concluded, open the DIRECTV STREAM app to check whether it’s going to work now or not. In case it doesn’t work, proceed with the next step.
Tip: Waiting for longer is always better than not waiting long enough.
As you’re probably aware, as with any other online streaming application, DIRECTV STREAM requires a working network and internet flow to function in the first place.
This is why the next step would be to check whether the WiFi that your Apple TV is hooked up to, is working.
The easiest way to understand if WiFi is working would be to test with another online application on your Apple TV.
In case no online operations can be done on your Apple TV, then the WiFi is probably down or there is no internet connection.
To solve WiFi/internet problems follow the bullets below:
- Restart the network router.
- Relieve network usage.
- Disconnect unnecessary devices from the WiFi.
- Change WiFi channel from Auto to Manual.
Tip: To exclude the WiFi/network possibility, share a hotspot from your smartphone to work with.
There is a high possibility that something went wrong during the application itself so by cleanly installing the app, you should be able to solve the problem.
Here is how to remove the DIRECTV STREAM application from your Apple TV:
- Highlight the DIRECTV STREAM app.
- Press and hold the central clickpad on your Siri Remote.
- The DIRECTV STREAM app should start to jiggle.
- Press on the Pause/Play button for more options.
- Select Delete.
- Use the guide at the beginning of the guide to cleanly install DIRECTV STREAM.
Note: Deleting an app on your DIRECTV STREAM also deletes its data.
As we’ve mentioned earlier in this guide, the DIRECTV STREAM app will work only on tvOS 10 or higher.
In that regard, you should make sure that your Apple TV is running a compatible firmware version and if not, update it as soon as possible.
Here is how to check and install Apple TV updates:
- Go to the Settings.
- Choose a System.
- Press on Software Updates > Update Software.
- Whenever there is a pending update, a message will appear.
- Choose Download to start the update process.
Note: During the update do NOT disconnect your Apple TV to avoid further complications.
Sometimes the problem is not with your WiFi nor with the application. Instead, the issue could be coming from the operating system of your Apple TV.
This is why to solve the problem as a last resort you should factory reset the TV and check if that will help.
The reset will be helpful especially if you’ve got problems with other applications besides the DIRECTV STREAM app.
Here is how to perform a factory reset on your Apple TV:
- Go to the Settings on your Apple TV.
- Choose a System.
- Press the Reset button.
- Choose Reset.
Note: Resetting Apple TV might take a while so be patient. In case the TV remains stuck for longer than 1-hour contact Apple TV support.
Thus, whenever DIRECTV STREAM is not working on Apple TV you should first check your WiFi connection and restart both the TV and application. Next, you should re-install the DIRECTV STREAM app, update your Apple TV OS, and eventually, factory reset it.
Read Next: How Do You Set Up A Second TV On DIRECTV?
Whenever the DIRECTV STREAM not working on Apple TV then there are three possibilities. Your WiFi connection, the DIRECTV STREAM application, or your Apple TV.
By using the solutions above you should have tackled each possibility and now you would have a better understanding of where the problem is coming from.
We hope that this post was helpful and if you’ve got more Apple TV inquiries, make sure to check for answers in our online technical blog.
- Wyze Camera Making Noise? – (7 Proven Solutions!) - December 10, 2023
- Philips Roku TV Won’t Turn On No Red Light? (6 Quick Fix!) - December 10, 2023
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023