Whenever your DIRECTV stream keeps buffering, then something is preventing the content from keeping up and the main suspect should be your internet.
Besides your WiFi/internet, there are other possibilities that could form buffering on your DIRECTV stream, and in this post, we’re about to address everything.
To fix DIRECTV stream buffering you need to reconnect your device to the internet to start with. The next step would be to update the DIRECTV app, resolve any internet problems, and if that doesn’t help, you need to perform a clean DIRECTV app installation.
Now that the solution is upfront, we strongly suggest reading the entire guide so you can leave no room for mistakes.
If your DIRECTV stream is buffering constantly regardless of your device, you’re most likely looking at problems with your network.
Buffering happens, whenever your device’s internet connection speed is not fast enough to keep the stream loading.
In that regard, your internet would be the main suspect, but we’ll also focus on the other possibilities such as outdated DIRECTV app and WiFi frequency.
Here are some ways to fix DIRECTV buffering on all platforms and devices in easy ways:
If the buffering lasts more than 1 minute, your device is most likely disconnected from the internet.
Buffering occurs occasionally if the internet is weak and averagely lasts for 5-10 seconds. If the buffering lasts longer than that, you must reconnect your device to the internet and retry.
Here’s how to universally connect phones and TVs to the internet:
- On your device, head to the settings.
- Open the Network or WiFi tab.
- Tap “Wireless” and wait for the scanner to locate all available networks.
- Once the checker is complete, select your own network, either by a tap on phones or using the remote on TVs.
- Insert your correct WiFi password.
- Tap the “Connect” button to get your device signed up for the network.
Alert: If your network has 2 WiFi broadbands, make sure that you’re connecting to the 2.4Ghz thread.
The DIRECTV application must be running the latest version for any buffering and setting-related problems to be resolved.
Especially when you’re getting non-stop buffering problems on your DIRECTV stream.
Here’s how to update the DIRECTV both for phones, tablets, and TVs:
- On your device, head to the App Store for iOS or Google Play for Androids.
- Go to “Manage Installed Applications” from the navigation module on the left.
- Locate the DIRECTV application and tap on “Info”.
- From the following screen, choose “Update”.
- Wait for the update to load.
- Test the DIRECTV app.
Note: While you’re at it, it’s suggested that you enable “Automatic Updates” for the DIRECTV app to update automatically.
Although a large portion of you wouldn’t want to cut from their stream’s quality to reduce the buffering, it’s still an audible way to solve the problem.
DIRECTV has installed an option in their player that allows you to change the quality of the stream (144p, 360p, 480p, 720, and 1080p).
If you’re currently at HD streaming quality and you’re getting the buffering problem, it’s suggested that you choose a resolution of 720p and test.
If the buffering occurs at this quality as well, choose 480p and test. Don’t go below that resolution because the picture will become quite unpleasant.
Tip: In Settings > Quality you can tell DIRECTV to automatically reduce your stream quality whenever the internet is weak.
If you’re getting the buffering problem on the web version of DIRECTV, it’s recommended that you update your browser or entirely choose a different one.
Many users suggested that updating the operating software of your browser solved buffering issues for them multiple times, with different platforms.
In that regard, here’s how to update the browser on your device, both for mobile units, laptops, and computers:
- Go to the App Store/Google Play.
- Select “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Locate the browser you’re using to stream DIRECTV.
- Choose “Update”.
- Open the problematic browser.
- Tap the 3 dots on the top of the screen.
- Search for an “Update” button there.
- If not found, go to the official page of the browser.
- Tap on “Versions” and download the latest version.
- Run the installer and your browser will be automatically updated.
Tip: If after updating the browser you still have buffering, download a different one and test. The best recommendation is Google Chrome.
If the issue wasn’t solved by now, the DIRECTV buffering problem could be coming from your network so it’s time to catch the problem or exclude it.
There are multiple things you can attempt to resolve internet problems and here is the best working:
1. Power Cycle Your Router
Restarting your network device will solve internet connectivity problems. To power cycle, unplug the device from the power for 5 minutes and then reconnect it.
2. Reduce Bandwidth Usage
Reduce your usage over the network as much as possible. Especially with weaker networks, if someone’s downloading that is connected to your network, it may cause the DIRECTV stream to buffer.
3. Use a Different WiFi/Internet
The best way to localize the problem is by using a different WiFi to test your DIRECTV stream.
Simply share a hotspot from your smartphone and test using the WiFi from your cellular.
Note: In case buffering is no longer there with your cellular, then you definitely have a problem with your household WiFi.
Keep in mind that this solution will be valuable only for users that watch DIRECTV through the application, thus, on their phones, tablets, and TVs.
Installing DIRECTV is also possible on a computer, but application problems under Windows are not proven to exist.
Here’s how to reinstall the DIRECTV application on your device:
- On your phone, tablet, or TV, head to the storage unit.
- Locate the installed applications section.
- Find the DIRECTV application and tap on “Uninstall”.
- Wait for the application to be removed from your device’s storage.
- Once erased, head back to your device’s app store.
- In the search field, write “DIRECTV”.
- Press on “Download” and wait for the installation to begin.
- Once installed, log in to DIRECTV.
Note: Ensure that upon signing in DIRECTV, you’re inserting the correct login credentials.
Thus, to solve the DIRECTV stream buffering you need to ensure that your internet is intact. In case the problem is not with the WiFi/network, you need to reinstall the DIRECTV app, connect to a 2.4Ghz network and reduce the video quality to see if that will help.
Here is everything about why DIRECTV stream keeps buffering and the possible ways to solve the problem.
Keep in mind that if your DIRECTV device is away from your network router, WiFi interruptions can appear frequently and, in turn, your stream will buffer.
We hope that this post was helpful and in case you’ve got other DIRECTV inquiries, make sure to check for the solution in our online technical blog.
- Wyze Camera Making Noise? – (7 Proven Solutions!) - December 10, 2023
- Philips Roku TV Won’t Turn On No Red Light? (6 Quick Fix!) - December 10, 2023
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023