It is crucial to have a Ring doorbell black screen fix to have the Live View feature, which allows you to broadcast on a web interface of your choice or a Smartphone.
Whenever the Ring doorbell screen goes black, it’s not a good sight because Ring has many features for your life, and the Ring doorbell, in particular, can make your home safer and more convenient.
Common causes of Ring doorbell black screen are Privacy Zone Settings, poor internet connection, malfunctioning Ring device, drained battery, or issues with your home WiFi network. Ring servers also enable your ring doorbell device to function, and they can be affected by failures that may cause video feeds to stop.
Just like other smart home gadgets and appliances, the Ring doorbell relies on apps and WiFi signals to make it function.
This article will discuss several different solutions to black screen problems on your Ring doorbell.
Other Reasons for Ring Doorbell Black Screen
If the problem only affects some videos and isn’t consistent, it may be a data loss issue. Unfortunately, not all data loss is due to Internet speeds and WiFi signal strength.
If your data loss problem is persistent, it might be related to your firewall settings. It is not recommended to turn off your firewall settings if you want to protect your WiFi signal.
Hardware issues could range from broken doorbell or bad wiring. You may need to rewire your Ring doorbell to fix the black screen problem.
For other hardware issues, consider replacing the faulty parts.
How to Fix Ring Doorbell Black Screen – Solutions
Solution #1 Privacy Zone Settings
Despite persistent troubleshooting, efforts have you often asked yourself why is my Ring doorbell showing a black screen? The solution might be simpler than you think.
Ring doorbell devices have a unique feature called the Privacy Zone which other Ring device owners can share in your network.
With the Privacy Zones, you can prevent Ring cameras from recording areas of your home you want to keep private, like your bedroom or bathroom.
A prank or a technical glitch from another user in your Privacy Network could cause your Ring camera or doorbell to display a blank video feed. When a Privacy Zone is set, people will not see what is happening in the area you choose.
Here’s how to delete a Privacy Zone on your Ring doorbell:
- On the upper left side of your Ring App screen, tap the three-lined menu.
- Select Devices, then choose your device.
- Go to Device Settings, then Private Settings.
- Choose the zone you wish to delete, then select Edit Privacy Zones.
- You should see a trash can icon. Tap it to delete the privacy zone.
Solution #2 Poor Internet Connection
It could be that there is a problem with your modem, Internet Service Provider, or router.
If the trouble lies with your router, don’t immediately start working on it yourself or call your Internet Service Provider to demand to fix it. Troubleshoot it yourself first.
Here’s how to do it:
- On your browser, go to Ring Website and log in to your Ring account.
- Go to the Dashboard and play some of the videos previously recorded.
- If you still see a black screen, it’s probably due to problems with the device itself or the video servers.
- If the video recordings played well, it means the problem lies with the Ring App, often caused by a weak signal.
- If you see network problems, first try playing your video using your cellular network. If that doesn’t work, play it on your cell phone using the WiFi.
You can use this way as a diagnostic to determine which connection is faulty, then call your ISP to restore the internet connection, and the black screen issue will be fixed immediately.
Solution #3 Weak WiFi Signal Strength
A Ring camera can continuously stream a live, high-quality feed to your smartphone or tablet.
They can’t do it without a strong WiFi signal; these devices might have trouble communicating with each other via a weak signal. Therefore, another ring doorbell black screen fix is to have a strong WiFi signal.
Here’s how to fix a weak WiFi signal:
- Check the signal strength of your Ring device.
- On the Ring, the app goes to Device Health then confirm that RSSI is within a viable range.
- Place WiFi router in a central location.
- Ensure that there are no barriers or hindrances between the WiFi router and the Ring Doorbell.
- Reboot your WiFi router.
You may have more than one Ring device or other smart device using the same WiFi connection in your home.
You can use the different devices and check if they display the same weak signal symptoms as your Ring doorbell.
Solution #4 Replace Battery
After trying all the above troubleshooting tips, you may still be asking yourself why is my Ring doorbell screen black.
You’ll need to replace the battery. Battery issues in the Ring doorbell tend to go unnoticed for a long time.
The ring doorbell has tiny screws and can be removed with a micro Phillips screwdriver.
- Remove the eight screws, which are hidden by the aluminum plate.
- Gently pry the cover off to reveal the four screws underneath.
- Using a plastic pry tool, carefully pop the insert out to reveal the micro USB port underneath.
- Gently grasp the connector with one hand and pull up while holding the battery in the other.
- Put the new battery into place, then gently screw it in, then restart your Ring doorbell.
Note that battery replacement only works on 1st Gen Ring doorbells. Newer versions have no batteries and therefore need full-time power.
Ring Doorbell Black Screen Fix Not Working..
Followed at the four solutions, but still can’t fix the black screen problem? In that case, you should contact the support staff at Ring to guide you for more help.
To fix the black screen issue on your Ring doorbell, start by resetting your Privacy Zone Settings. If the problem persists, set your internet and WiFi connection, replace the battery, and your doorbell videos will be streaming again.
It’s easy to determine if the problem is limited to your doorbell if you have multiple Ring devices, which is an ideal Ring doorbell black screen fix.
The Ring doorbell comes with a one-year warranty. If it breaks within that time, you may be able to get a replacement for free. If you have the Ring Protect Plus subscription plan, your doorbell will be under warranty for more than a year.
- Can You Reuse LED Strip Lights? – Complete Guide - September 21, 2022
- What Happens If You Break Contract With Vivint? Fool-Proof Guide! - September 21, 2022
- Does Ring Doorbell Work With Vivint? – Complete Guide - September 21, 2022