Asking why the Kwikset smart lock not lighting up? Then you should stick around!
In general, the Kwikset device’s keypad should light up whenever the smart lock is activated. In case it doesn’t, the smart lock is either not activated or has run into trouble during the setup.
The Kwikset smart lock might not be lighting up due to a problem with the passcode, activation sequence, batteries, or disconnected wires. Also, the LED of the keyboard might have been deactivated from the menu.
Let’s begin with revealing the possibilities that might be responsible for the problem and then proceed with targeting each of them.
Your Kwikset device’s keypad is programmed to light up every time the smart lock is activated.
However, if the LED doesn’t turn on when you “activate” the smart lock, the problem could either be with the passcode itself or the software of the device.
Here is what could be preventing the Kwikset smart lock’s keypad from lightning up:
1. Smart Lock Problems
If you haven’t set up the smart lock correctly, thy keypad won’t be lightning up.
2. Battery Issue
The batteries of your Kwikset could be running low on charge, therefore the keypad won’t light up upon setting the smart lock.
3. Keyboard LED Deactivated
If you’ve turned OFF the LED of your Kwikset’s keypad, it won’t light up until further notice.
4. Wire Disconnected
The connection between the keypad and the interior could have been interrupted, therefore the keypad won’t be working.
5. Lock Button Not Pressed
To enter the passcode that will unlock your Kwikset in the first place, you must hit the lock button beforehand.
Now that you know what you’re facing, let’s proceed with attempting to solve all of the above-listed possibilities.
This solution guide will start from the smallest things that could be responsible and then move on to more complex troubleshooting in case the problem persists.
In that regard, make sure NOT to skip any solutions and to apply them in order.
Tip: Test if the smart lock will light up after each of the solutions.
In order for your Kwikset’s keypad to light up, you must hit the lock button and enter the passcode.
This will cause your Kwikset’s keyboard to light up brightly and then you would have to enter the passcode and press the lock button again.
Here’s how to lock your Kwikset device and cause its keypad to light up:
- Locate the lock button on your Kwikset device.
- Hit the button and enter your passcode.
- Press the lock button again and wait for the keypad to light up.
Note: In case the passcode is not accepted (wrong), the keypad will NOT lock, therefore it won't light up in blue.
If hitting the lock button doesn’t light the keypad of your Kwikset, there could be an issue with the setup.
In that regard, you’ll need to carry out the setup process and make sure that everything is being done correctly.
Here’s how to set up the smart lock on your Kwikset:
- Open the door your Kwikset is attached to.
- Disassemble the battery cover.
- Press the program button on the panel of the device.
- Enter a new user code.
- Hit the lock button.
After hitting the lock button, the keypad must be lit up brightly, indicating that your smart lock is set up successfully. When you’re done, scroll up to solution #1 and test.
Note: If you wish to unlock your Kwikset later and use the keypad, enter the new user code of your choice.
We assume that you already have the Kwikset application installed on your smartphone that assists in the configuration of your smart-door lock device.
If you haven’t installed the application, take your smartphone and search for “Kwikset Smart Lock” in the App Store.
Inside of this application, there’s a feature that enables/disables the LED option whenever you use a smart lock. In case that feature is disabled, the smart lock will not light up.
You should go into the application and enable the LED of the keypad:
- Open the Kwikset app on your smartphone.
- Head over to the settings and choose your own door lock.
- Open the configuration of the lock.
- Locate the “LED” option.
- Ensure the slider is set to enabled and not disabled.
In case the LED is toggled ON, make sure to turn it OFF and then ON again. Once ready, scroll up to solution #1 and test if the smart lock will not light up.
Note: Keep in mind that this feature is enabled by default, so unless you have made any configuration, your keypad should have LED.
If the LED on your Kwikset keypad isn’t working, you should replace the batteries of your Kwikset device.
There might not be enough power for the LED to light up your keypad, therefore even when you’re using a smart lock, the keypad will remain dark.
Here’s how to replace the batteries of your Kwikset device:
- Locate the two screws on both side panels of your Kwikset.
- Remove the battery cover until you have a clear vision of the battery.
- Takethe CR2025 battery out.
- Acquire a replacement battery and insert it into the compartment.
- Install the side panels and tighten up the screws.
Note: Make sure you’ve inserted the battery in the correct position and that the positive side of the battery is facing the positive pole.
If the device isn’t connected appropriately with the Kwikset application, the smart lock feature along with the keypad’s LED won’t work.
For that purpose, you should attempt to fix the issue by reinstalling the Kwikset application.
Here’s how to reinstall Kwikset on your smartphone:
- Open the storage unit of your phone.
- Delete the Kwikset application and confirm.
- Head over to the respective App Store/Google Play on your phone.
- Search for Kwikset and install it back to your phone.
- Head over to your Kwikset and follow the on-screen prompts to set up the device.
Note: Pay attention to whether the LED option is enabled before testing the LED of your Kwikset device.
If nothing worked, a factory reset on your Kwikset might be your only option.
This type of reset will restore the device, factory settings, and hopefully solve the absence of light problems.
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on your Kwikset device in easy steps:
- Open the door your Kwikset is attached to.
- Extended the provided latch bolt.
- Slide up the cover until the buttons underneath are exposed.
- Locate the reset button and hold it down for 10 seconds.
- Wait for the red flash and the spin amber.
Note: This will erase ALL configurations you’ve made to your lock, including the ones in your Kwikset app. You would need to recover any necessary settings.
Thus, if Kwikset smart lock isn’t lighting up, fix the issue by hard resetting the device and replacing the batteries. Ensure the LED is enabled from the Kwikset app and attempt to solve the problem by reinstalling the application. Lastly, perform a factory reset.
Read Next: Why Is My Kwikset Lock Blinking Red?
After getting familiar with why Kwikset smart lock not lightning up, you should be able to solve the problem at home.
As long as you stick to our troubleshooting solutions, you should have no trouble fixing the keypad’s LED, unless it’s broken.
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023
- My Dyson Hair Dryer Stopped Working? (7 Quick Solutions!) - December 7, 2023
- White Rodgers Thermostat Blinking Flame? (7 Proven Fixes!) - December 5, 2023