Is your Samsung dishwasher top rack not cleaning? That problem certainly causes a lot of dishwasher owners to go crazy.
However, all it takes is following the guide below, as we have all the answers!
The first thing you should do when the Samsung dishwasher doesn’t wash the top rack is unclogging the entire appliance, and next, check the sprayer arms. If those are not the culprits, it is necessary to check the water supply and enhance water pressure or replace the circulation pump.
We understand that replacing parts is not something you might want to do. However, nowadays, buying the correct replacement from trustworthy sellers is very easy.
Also, we will help you install the new parts safely.
Samsung Dishwasher Top Rack Not Cleaning – Reasons
You have put a lot of dishes in your dishwasher, but you found that your Samsung dishwasher is not cleaning the top rack.
All the dishes in the bottom came out clean, so what happened to the top rack?
We have some ideas of what is happening:
✅ Incorrect Loading
Whenever you load your dishwasher, you must ensure that you don’t put more dishes than you can wash. Also, positioning them correctly is key.
✅ Clogged Parts
The filter or other components on your dishwasher could be clogged. In that case, water can’t circulate correctly, and you will see that not all dishes are washed.
✅ Defective/Blocked Spray Arms
It is impossible to wash the dishes if the spray arms are defective or there is some blockage. Perhaps there is not enough pressure to reach the top rack.
✅ Defective Pump or Valve
Perhaps the water inlet valve or circulation pump is defective. In that case, water is coming in but not flowing correctly.
Fix The Samsung Dishwasher Cleaning Issues
There are many possible culprits behind the current problem with your dishwasher. So let’s try different solutions that attempt to fix the problem.
By the end of this article, your dishwasher should be cleaning the top rack just fine.
1. Unclog The Dishwasher
Unclogging a dishwasher is crucial for optimal performance, preventing damage, and maintaining cleanliness.
By removing clogs, water can properly drain, ensuring efficient cleaning and reducing the risk of overflow or damage.
So let’s try unclogging your appliance:
- Locate the filter;
- Twist it until you feel it is loose;
- Remove it;
- Take it to the sink and scrub all dirt away;
- Wash with soapy water.
Run The Unclogging Cycle
After reassembling the filter, you will need to run the unclogging cycle.
That means doing this:
- Pour vinegar into the dishwasher’s dispenser;
- Start a washing cycle;
- Repeat if necessary.
After that, test again but with dishes on the top rack. Are they getting washed?
2. Assess The Water Pressure
The spray arms in a dishwasher rely on water pressure to rotate and distribute water throughout the dishwasher.
Insufficient water pressure can hinder the rotation of the spray arms, leading to incomplete cleaning and rinsing of dishes.
- Locate the water supply valve behind the dishwasher;
- If it’s partially closed, turn it counterclockwise to open it completely.
- Disconnect the dishwasher from the power source;
- Remove the inlet hose from the back of the dishwasher;
- Inspect it for kinks or clogs;
- Clean the hose;
- Clean the inlet filter for any debris or blockages
- Clean the spray arms.
After all of the above, reconnect everything and test the dishwasher again. The correct water pressure should help the spray arms clean the top rack dishes.
Tip: When cleaning the spray arms, you might want to use a toothpick to remove debris from the small holes.
3. Check The Sprayer Arm’s Seal
The seal ensures that water is directed through the nozzles of the sprayer arm, allowing it to spray forcefully and evenly onto the dishes inside the dishwasher.
It helps maintain the pressure within the sprayer arm.
So let’s check its condition:
- Disconnect the dishwasher from the power supply;
- Remove the sprayer arm from the dishwasher;
- Inspect the seal for damage or looseness;
- Clean the seal and sprayer arm with warm water and mild detergent;
- Dry the seal and sprayer arm thoroughly;
If there are no visible issues on the seal, do the following:
- Reattach the sprayer arm securely to the dishwasher’s base;
- Run a test cycle without dishes;
- Check for any water leakage or spraying from the seal.
How To Replace The Seal
Is the seal leaking water? Then there won’t be enough pressure to clean the top rack. So you must replace the seal.
- Remove the sprayer arm by unscrewing the retaining nut or clip;
- Locate the seal between the sprayer arm and the dishwasher tub;
- Gently remove the old seal from the sprayer arm or tub;
- Clean the area where the new seal will be installed;
- Install the new seal securely and evenly;
- Reattach the sprayer arm and tighten any retaining nut or clip.
Next, test the dishwasher. No more leaks should happen, and the top rack should come out clean.
4. Replace The Sprayer Arm
If the seal is not the problem but still the sprayer arm doesn’t have enough force to spray water into the top rack, there’s something wrong with it.
Here are some signs that can indicate the sprayer arm(s) needs replacement:
- If the nozzles are consistently blocked and cleaning them doesn’t resolve the issue, it might be a sign that the sprayer arm needs replacement.
- Examine the sprayer arm for any visible signs of damage, such as cracks, breaks, or excessive wear. If the arm is significantly damaged, a replacement is necessary.
- Check for leaks or if water is spraying in unexpected directions during the dishwasher’s operation.
- The arm should rotate freely. If it doesn’t, it is faulty.
Install A New Sprayer Arm
You will need to buy one or more replacements for your dishwasher.
First, ensure that you get a compatible sprayer arm, and then install it:
- Loosen and remove the screw or clip of the old sprayer arm;
- Gently pull the sprayer arm upward;
- Align the replacement sprayer arm with the mounting area;
- Carefully push the sprayer arm downward until it is securely in place.
- Ensure it rotates freely and doesn’t have any obstructions.
- Secure it with the clip or nut;
Once the sprayer arm is replaced correctly, you should turn off the dishwasher and test it. The top rack will certainly be washed now.
Tip: If you want to ensure the new sprayer arm will last, remember to unclog the dishwasher often.
5. Investigate The Circulation Pump
As the name suggests, the circulation pump is one of many components responsible for the correct water flow.
When it fails or becomes weak, the water pressure might not be enough to clean all the dishes properly.
So let’s see what’s possible to do:
- Remove the dishwasher from its usual place;
- Position it in a way you can check its bottom;
- Locate the circulation pump.
Once you’ve located it, you must examine the following:
- Check if there are signs of physical damage;
- Try rotating its impeller. The impeller should rotate without trouble;
- Use a multimeter and test the circulation pump to see if it can use its full potential.
Replace The Pump
If you have determined that the circulation pump is no longer good, you must buy and install a replacement.
- Use pliers or a wrench to disconnect the hoses from the old pump;
- Remove the screws that hold the pump;
- Take out the old pump;
- Align the new pump;
- Secure the new pump;
- Reattach the hoses;
Once the new pump is installed, the dishwasher should be able to wash the dishes with the necessary water pressure.
What We Learned
A Samsung dishwasher top rack not cleaning is very odd since only half your dishes come out clean.
Fixing it, fortunately, is not far-fetched. All you need is a bit of patience and following the instructions closely.
We hope the guide above has helped you get your dishwasher back to work!
Read Next: Samsung Dishwasher Power Button Not Working?
- SimpliSafe Says Entry Sensor Open? (Here’s Your Fix) - February 25, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Offline? (Fix It Fast!) - February 25, 2024
- Sensi Thermostat No C Wire? (Fix & Install Now!) - February 25, 2024