Confused how to set up Roku stick? For all streaming lovers who like to binge on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or similar channels but still have trouble getting things right, we have developed this guide to show you how to set up Roku stick.
Of course, it is not complicated if you know what you are doing, of course, but a little nudge in the right direction can quickly get you where you want to be.
Roku Streaming Stick and Televisions
When it comes to screen resolutions there is always the same rule- the bigger the better. There quite a few resolutions that are supported by Roku stick +.
To be more precise, they are 720p HD, Full HD 1080p, Ultra High Definition TV/4K (originally known as “Quad HD”) and High Dynamic Range (HDR).
You must keep in mind that just because your streaming stick supports these resolutions, it does not mean you can make use of it unless you have a compatible TV.
For example, you can only benefit from 4K/UHD if you have a TV that is compatible with this resolution.
How To Connect The Stick To TV
Roku stick comes with a built-in HDMI connector which means that any television with an HDMI port can be connected to the Roku stick.
For other Roku devices is important as well what kind of HDMI cable you have while this stick connects straight to your TV transforming a regular TV to the smart TV in a matter of seconds.
So, all you need to start is to plug the stick in the TV, turn on your TV and set up can begin. Pay attention only to which HDMI port you will connect your stick to. For 4K for example you will choose HDMI 4.4 port.
After that, you need to charge it, so connect it at the back with a USB cable and plug the other end to the TV. Note that you can also connect it to the power outlet if you do not have a USB port on your tv.
TV Without HDMI Port
This all sounds very good, but what to do if your TV doesn’t have an HDMI port? In this case the solution for you would be to use composite cables.
For those who don’t know what this is, they are also known as RCA and connect a video signal via a cable and a connector.
For example, if you are setting up a new Roku stick+ you will receive an HDMI extender that you can use if your TV cannot be connected due to space constraints.
If you need one and do not have a new Roku stick, you can order it on their website.
How to Set up Roku Stick with Remote Control
The setup process with your controller is easy and you can do it within few minutes. The steps are as follows:
1. Look for the input button or source on your remote
- Choose HDMI input
- Now you need to locate your Roku remote
- Put the batteries into the Roku remote, press any button and it should pair automatically
2. Set up the language
- The first option for you will be the one for the language
- You can go up and down until you find a selected language after which you press OK
3. Connect to the internet
- The list of available wireless networks will be displayed, select your network and enter the password. If for some reason you don’t see your network, just scan it again and you should be able to see it
- If you want your password to be visible so that you can see what you are writing, select Show password and finish the process
- In the end, press Connect and that’s you connected to the internet
4. Software update
- Immediately after connecting to the Internet, Roku will automatically check for updates and will download the latest version
5. Set up the display type
- You don’t need to set anything up manually, your Roku stick will automatically pick up the best display resolution.
- On the other hand, if you wish to change the type, go Settings and then press Display type
- If for some reason your HDR or UHD/4K is not recognized and you know that you are using compatible TV, then just check for the cables if all are securely attached.
6. You can see your screen easily
- If you can see your screen clearly then press Yes screen looks good. After that, confirm your resolution.
7. Create your account
- To create a Roku account is free of charge. You cannot activate your stick if it is not connected to your account.
- Follow onscreen instructions including the code for activation
- Remember the code because you have to go Roku Link and enter that code.
- You can follow this link to get to the right website as some illegal sites will attempt to steal your information. If you are typing the link then be careful and double-check if it is the right site.
- Now start adding channels
All in all, we have shown you how to set up your Roku stick in a few simple steps. Now, we will show you how to set up your Roku without remote.
Set Up Roku Stick Without Remote
You can download the Roku app and as you probably already know by now that your stick and the app must be on the same network. Here is what you do:
- Put Roku stick in your TV
- Cell phone or some other hotspot device
- Another device for downloading the Roku app
- Name and password of the network your stick was previously connected to
- Go to settings and set up your hotspot name and password to the one your stick was last connected to and connect to the Internet.
- Download the app to another device and connect to the hotspot
- Your remote should now be connected and start your set up as described before.
We explained how to set up your Roku stick in detail, and also how to set up Roku stick without remote.
There is a small difference between the Roku streaming stick and the Roku streaming stick+. Hence, the steps are almost the same.
If you need further assistance please refer this guide if Roku is not connecting to your television.
GET MORE STUFF LIKE THIS
IN YOUR INBOX
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.