A frequently asked question is “does Ecobee work with Google Home”?
We all know that Ecobee likes to be on the top of the ladder in regard to supported devices and compatibility.
After thermostats such as Honeywell and Nest introduced support for Google Assistant, it was a matter of time before Ecobee did the same.
Both models of the Ecobee thermostat are now supported by Google Home to make things better for the average consumer. Using phrases like “OK Google” you can control your Ecobee functionalities and get the most out of your device.
Now that we know that it’s possible, let’s proceed with some facts you should be aware of!
As with any other supported device, your Ecobee thermostat can be connected to Google Assistant via the mobile Google Home application.
The google assistant devices with the most functionalities are the Google Home Mini and Google Home Hub.
Once your Google Assistant device is all set up, you will be able to add your Ecobee thermostat through the application and start controlling its features via voice commands.
The most essential commands are available, and they include:
- Ok Google, what are the temperature settings of “thermostat’s name”?
- Hey Google, set the temperature on the “thermostat’s name” to “temperature”.
- Ok Google, Increase the temperature of the “thermostat’s name” (5 degrees up).
- Ok Google, decrease the temperature of the “thermostat’s name” (5 degrees down).
- Hey Google, turn off the “thermostat’s name”.
- Hey Google, turn on the “thermostat’s name” schedule.
- Ok, Google, turn the “thermostat’s name” fan ON.
- Ok, Google, change the mode on “thermostat’s name” to heat.
- Hey, Google, change the mode on “thermostat’s name” to cool.
These are the essential commands including setting temperature, increasing/decreasing temperature, resuming the schedule, starting the fan, and changing the system mode.
Tip: Use a short thermostat name, so it can be easier to pronounce.
Now that we’ve answered the question “does Ecobee thermostat work with Google Home?”, there are things you need to know before buying.
We’ll point out everything important and help you make your decision whether you want this setup or not.
Before you’re ready with your decision in regard to the Google Home + Ecobee setup, there are some pros and cons that you should be aware of.
The pros and cons below are directly compared to the functionality of other integrated thermostat devices so you can find the differences.
- Fast and easy connection.
- Reliable compatibility.
- Support for ALL necessary voice commands.
- Support for Ecobee3, Ecobee3 Lite, Ecobee4 and Switch+.
- Lower energy consumption.
- Does not use machine learning.
- Only manual integration and interaction.
- Not adaptable schedules.
In conclusion, we can say that Ecobee + Google Home is a worthy investment if you’re not into complex functionality, machine learning, and complete automatization.
Note: Ecobee is a cheaper alternative in contrast to other thermostats supported by Google Assistant.
We assume that you’re already familiar with the fact that you need both devices available and working.
Besides the availability, you also need a working WiFi that you can use to connect the thermostat to the Google Home Hub.
Let’s take a detailed look at the things you will need to setup Ecobee and Google Home:
1. A Smartphone
You will need a mobile device to install both applications. The Ecobee and Google Home apps are both available for Android and iOS.
2. A WiFi Connection
You will need a working WiFi connection since both devices need to be hooked to the same network to communicate with each other.
Both Ecobee and Google Home are dual-band which means that you can use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi.
3. Thermostat Name
For Google Home to communicate with your Ecobee thermostat you’ll need to set a name for the device.
That can happen through the Ecobee mobile application upon setting up the thermostat. The name of your thermostat is included in all voice commands.
If you’ve got all pieces and requirements available, you’re ready to proceed with the installation.
Check how it’s done:
In case you’ve never linked two devices together, then keep reading to learn how it’s done.
It’s really simple since both devices have support for each other, but you’ll need some information before you start with the installation.
This is a quick tutorial on how to hook up both devices:
- Download and install both Ecobee and Google Home mobile applications.
- The devices should be connected to their respective applications.
- In the Google Home app, you need to “Set up device”.
- Then you need to choose “Works with Google”
- Find and select Ecobee.
- Add your account and you’re done!
This is everything that you should know about the installation procedure. It’s fast and easy since everything has been thought of beforehand. All you need to do is hook them up.
Note: Both devices should be connected to the same WiFi network.
Did you know that you can use Google Assistant and all of the voice commands from your smartphone without a Google Home device?
The only limitation here would be the necessity to open the application each time you want to use a voice command.
Note: The Google Assistant is available for both, Androids and iPhones!
Here is the entire setup process in a few bullets:
- Download the Google Assistant App on your smartphone.
- Press on the Explore icon.
- Search and press on Ecobee.
- Press on Setup.
- Log in to your Ecobee account.
- Accept all of the onscreen prompts.
When you’re ready with the setup, you can take control of your Ecobee thermostat by using voice commands on your smartphone.
Does Google Home always Listen for Ecobee Commands?
Yes, unlike the smartphone Google Assistant, the Google Home Hub will always respond to “Ok Google” and will execute the commands towards the Ecobee thermostat.
Is Ecobee + Google Home Cheaper than other Alternatives?
The price of the Google Home hubs remains the same in all possible combinations.
However, Ecobee remains the most affordable option compared to Nest and Honeywell and provides exceptional lower energy consumption.
Does Ecobee learn Voice Command Behavior?
Unfortunately not, the Ecobee thermostat does not support machine learning, regardless of the hub device that you choose to go with.
Google Home does support all models of Ecobee thermostats and the assistant can be used with or without a Google Hub device. Everything you need is to hook up both applications together and you’re ready to control your Ecobee devices using voice commands.
This is everything you needed to know in regard to the question “does Ecobee work with Google Home”.
Compared to the other big players in the game (Nest and Honeywell), Ecobee does not give away anything!
Before we leave, remember that even if you don’t have a Google Home Hub device you can still use Google Assistant via your smartphone.
Another thing to make sure of is that your Ecobee devices have a name, especially if you’ve got more than one thermostat.
- iHome Speaker Keeps Disconnecting? Here’s How To Fix! - July 3, 2022
- Sony TV Screen Mirroring Keeps Disconnecting? – Complete Fix Guide! - July 3, 2022
- Can You Undelete A Discord Server? – Complete Guide - July 3, 2022