Yale Locks can add a new layer of safety to your home, whether a small apartment or a large house.
However, setting the setup might be tough if the software doesn’t cooperate. Is your Yale Lock not connecting to app? Let’s investigate that.
To troubleshoot Yale Lock not connecting to the app, ensure app compatibility, correct internet frequency, and sufficient router range. Also, check battery, access module, or reset the lock if needed.
Yale Locks should be simple to set up, so we will help you understand what could be wrong with your installation.
We will get into the fine details and deliver you the proper solution.
Yale Lock Not Connecting To App – Reasons
Is your Yale Lock app not connecting to the lock? There are many different explanations for such an occurrence.
There also are multiple ways of fixing the situation.
Before heading to the solutions, we will help you understand what could have gone wrong:
✅ Internet Connection
Either your network is unstable, too far from the lock, or your phone is connected to the 5GHz network.
You must ensure that your lock’s batteries have enough power and are put in place properly.
✅ Problems in the App
It might be necessary to check whether you have the latest version of the Yale Lock app.
✅ Wrong App
Yale has released several apps over the years. It is unclear whether all locks are compatible with each one, so you might be trying an incompatible app.
How To Connect The Yale Lock To The App
Now it is time we head to the solutions that will help you successfully connect the Yale Lock to the app.
There are plenty of details we need to approach, so read carefully. We hope that the methods below allow your Yale Lock to connect.
1. Check The App
As mentioned, Yale has put out many different apps over the years. So, depending if your lock is brand new or you bought it used, the compatible app might vary.
Alternatively, you could simply use the universal app, which we will get to shortly.
Let’s check all the apps:
- Yale Access – This is the traditional app designed to work with Yale locks. However, it is limited to locks manufactured and sold inside the US and Canada only.
- Yale Connect – Connect is an app designed to work with Assa Abloy devices, an international company that distributes Yale products worldwide.
- Yale Home – The Home app seems to be the most universal app in terms of compatibility with different locks. It can integrate with the Connect Bridge too.
Now that you know there are three Yale apps, it is worth trying a different app than the one you’ve been attempting.
Tip: Also check the PlayStore or AppStore for updates on the app you are using. They might not have been installed, thus preventing the correct connection.
Set Up With Yale Home
Yale advertises the Yale Home app as the simplest and quickest app you can use. It should connect to any of the Yale locks, old or new.
Here is how the process must go:
- Open the Yale Home app;
- Tap the menu;
- Choose “Set Up A Device”;
- Scan your lock’s code;
- If not possible, touch “Can’t Scan The Code”;
- Inform the serial number.
2. Assess The Network
Since you are connecting your Lock to the internet, there are some things you must ensure before attempting it.
First of all, do the following:
- Open your phone’s Wi-Fi settings;
- Check whether you are connected to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network;
- If you are on the 5GHz network, it is necessary to switch.
The above is mandatory because smart devices such as Yale Locks can only access 5GHz networks. After that, activate your Bluetooth signal too. The lock will use it.
Check The Range
Perhaps your app and lock are fine, but the router is too far from the lock. That happens since the lock needs to stay in the door, right?
A good way to test it is by walking with your phone to the lock’s location. Then check the Wi-Fi’s strength.
If it is weak, do one of the following:
- Move the router closer to the lock;
- Buy a second router for your house;
- Install a signal repeater halfway between the router and the lock;
- Get a new router with a wider range.
3. Examine The Battery
Smart devices that depend on the battery might shut down internet access when the batteries are low, damaged, or not installed properly. That happens all the time.
Thus, it is time to check them.
- Locate and detach the battery cover;
- Detach all the batteries;
- Examine them and check for damage;
- If they look fine, put them back and ensure they stay firm.
Needless to say, you must substitute the batteries if they don’t look good.
Moreover, you need to check if the other functions on your lock are working or whether it powers off randomly. That might tell you it is time to buy new batteries.
4. Check The Access Module
Another likely culprit behind the Yale Lock’s inability to connect to the app is the access module.
The access module is one component that goes installed close to the batteries. Without it, many functions are compromised.
- Remove the battery cover;
- Remove the batteries;
- Detach the escutcheon;
- Adjust the access module placement;
- Hold down the reset button for 3 seconds while putting the batteries back;
- Put the cover back.
You must also check whether the access module looks fine. Signs of damage, for example, might indicate it is time for you to get a new access module.
5. Cycle Your Phone
Cycling your phone doesn’t mean rebooting it, but it could include it.
Rather, we will suggest you first do the following:
- Deactivate the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your phone;
- Wait a few minutes;
- Activate them again;
- Open the Yale Home app;
- Try connecting to your Yale Lock.
If that doesn’t work, then deactivate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions again. Then, reboot your phone.
6. Check If You Need The Connect Bridge
Usually, the Connect Bridge is simply a bonus device you can buy to integrate all your smart devices.
It is designed to allow you to control the Yale Lock(s) from outside the house. For most locks, it is an optional add-on.
However, that could have changed for newer models. So:
- Check your Yale Lock’s packaging and manual;
- Find out whether a Connect Bridge is necessary;
How To Set The Bridge Up
If you do need a Connect Bridge, here is how you can set it up:
- Plug the Bridge into a wall;
- Ensure a flashing green light shows up;
- Open the Yale Access App;
- Click on “Set Up New Device”;
- Choose the Bridge;
- Choose a lock that should be associated;
Note: The Yale Connect app can integrate with the Yale Home. So if you use Home for your locks, you don't need to assign the locks to Yale Access.
7. Reset The Lock
If you still haven’t found a working solution to get your Yale Lock to connect to the app, it is time to consider resetting the lock.
That will erase all and any info you have configured so far. Here are the steps:
- Remove the lock’s cover;
- Remove the batteries;
- Hold the lock button;
- Wait a minute;
- Put the batteries back;
- Hear for the lock/unlock with beepings.
After that, do the initial configuration on the lock again, according to the user’s guide.
Then, try connecting to the Yale Home/Connect/Access app again.
What We Learned
Worried that the Yale Lock is not connecting to the app? As you have found out, the issue could lie in the hardware or software.
But by now, you should already be able to connect without any issues.
Read Next: Yale Lock Not Unlocking? – Here’s How to Fix
- Vicks Humidifier Not Steaming? – (Here’s How to Fix!) - October 20, 2023
- Kindle Paperwhite Not Waking Up? – (Try These Solutions) - October 20, 2023
- Why Is My Hisense TV Blinking Red Light? – (Instant Fix) - October 20, 2023