Your SimpliSafe keypad not working, and you’re in a need of a solution? Keep reading because having the ability to arm and disarm your system is mandatory.
In this post, we’ll discuss the possible reasons why your keypad is not working and different ways to solve the problem.
To fix your SimpliSafe keypad you would need to re-install the entirety of the device and reconnect it to the base station. Next, you should discharge the batteries and if possible, replace them. Lastly, you should move the keypad closer to the station.
Next, we’ll review ALL well-known possibilities so you can be aware of what type of problem you’re facing.
There are quite a few reasons why the SimpliSafe keypad would not work, and we’ve made a list to help you learn about all of them.
1. Inappropriate Installation
Each connection is important and if you’ve missed something essential, the keypad might not even turn on.
2. Power Fluctuation
Charge issues concerning the battery can occur after a power outage. Sometimes you might need to replace the batteries with fresh ones.
3. OS Glitch
If there was a firmware update to the base station recently, the keypad might glitch, and you would need to carry out the setup process.
4. Out of Range
If your keypad is too far away from the base station, you would need to shorten the distance.
5. Not Paired/No WiFi
In case the keypad is not paired with the station or has lost its connectivity, you would need to re-sync the devices.
Having these suspects in mind, let’s proceed further where you’ll learn different ways to solve the problem.
Before jumping into the solutions, you would need to determine whether the keypad is working at all (you have access to the menu), or it does not even turn ON.
Depending on your situation, you may have more or fewer chances to solve the problem.
Note: If your SimpliSafe keypad won’t even turn on, jump straight to Solution #2.
We’ll start with the solutions one by one, to determine where the problem is coming from:
By reinstalling the keypad, you would refresh the connectivity of the device with your phone and base station.
Since we can’t know if you’ve got another (working) keypad, the steps describe how to re-install the keypad using the mobile application.
- Download & Install the SimpliSafe mobile app.
- Open the app and log in.
- Go to the Menu.
- Choose Device Settings.
- Remove the problematic keypad from the devices.
- Hit the plus icon on the top right corner.
- Complete the on-screen steps to re-add the keypad.
Tip: You can also use the SimpliSafe Webapp to add/remove and manage devices.
Once you’ve re-added the keypad, check if your issue is solved. If not, proceed with the next solution.
If your SimpliSafe keypad is not working after update, then you would definitely want to discharge the device.
Such an issue can occur if your batteries die in the middle of the update session. In that regard, it’s recommended to have a fresh pair at your disposal.
Here is how to discharge the device:
- Take out the current batteries.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Put the old batteries back and test.
- If the keypad turns ON, then OFF, replace them with fresh batteries.
This process is also known as a power cycle, and after you’re ready you might have to set up your sensors again.
However, once you’re done the problem should be fixed. In case the issue persists even with a fresh pair of batteries, proceed with the next solution.
Note: If your keypad won’t even turn on, even after replacing the batteries the device might be dead.
If you have multiple keypads in your household, you can add a new one to the base station using another keypad.
However, if you aren’t got a second keypad to work with, our steps below will help you re-add the keypad to the base station and solve your problem.
- Remove the battery from your keypad.
- Re-insert the battery back.
- A message “Searching for Base Station” should appear.
- Use a Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the battery compartment of your base station.
- Press the small circle-shaped button on the other side of the power adapter.
- Press any button on the keypad.
- You should see a message “Connecting to the Base Station”.
- The base station will also say that “Keypad is added”.
When you’re done, you can check if the keypad issue is still there. If not, there are more things you can try so let’s proceed further.
After all previous solutions, you can now be confident that the keypad is properly connected, the installation is done the right way, and that the power is intact.
What’s left is the WiFi connectivity.
The steps below will describe exactly how to reconnect your system to the WiFi:
- Press the Menu button on your keypad.
- Insert your 4-digit PIN when asked for.
- Go to System Settings.
- Press the right rocker to select it.
- Find the WiFi and select it.
- Wait for the list of connections to appear.
- Choose the WiFi you would like to connect to.
- Enter your WiFi password.
The keypad should announce the successful connection, otherwise, it won’t work.
Note: Even if your keypad connects, that does NOT mean that the WiFi itself brings the internet along.
For that, it’s responsible for your router. Make sure the WiFi is working before you continue.
Now when we’ve excluded the WiFi connectivity from the equation, what’s left is your base station.
In this solution you’ll learn how to reset your base station, thus restart all services and solve any potential problem, regarding the keypad.
- Unplug the base station from the wall outlet.
- Use a Phillips-head screwdriver to open the battery door.
- Reach inside and take the batteries out.
- Wait for about 1 minute.
- Plug the base station into the power outlet.
- If possible “replace” the batteries or simply put back the old ones.
When you’re ready your base station will be reset, and you might need to re-sync the problematic keypad to the station. Use Solution #3 for help.
In case the keypad is not working regardless of everything you’ve tried, well, you might have a faulty unit.
If your warranty is intact, call SimpliSafe or just replace the keypad.
Thus, to fix a not working SimpliSafe keypad, first, re-add the device to your mobile app. Then discharge the keypad and sync it to your base station. Lastly, reconnect the system to the WiFi, make sure the WiFi is working, and reset the base station.
Now when you know why the SimpliSafe keypad not working, you should be able to fix the problem at home, using our solutions.
If this post was helpful but you’re having other issues with your SimpliSafe equipment, make sure to check our blog and discover many other helpful posts like this.
- Wyze Camera Making Noise? – (7 Proven Solutions!) - December 10, 2023
- Philips Roku TV Won’t Turn On No Red Light? (6 Quick Fix!) - December 10, 2023
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023