Sengled smart bulb not responding and can’t connect to the mobile app? Keep reading!
Like any other smart device, the bulb uses a smartphone application to be able to connect to the internet in order to utilize all its features.
In this guide, you’ll learn the possibilities of why this is happening and how to solve the problem in no time!
When a Sengled smart bulb becomes unresponsive, users need to reconnect their mobile devices to the WiFi and make sure that there is the internet. Next, the smart bulb should be power cycled and reconnected to the app to become responsive again.
Let’s learn more!
Reasons Why Are My Sengled Bulb Unresponsive?
In most cases where smart bulbs are unresponsive, it is caused due to the fact that they got disconnected from your device.
Sengled bulbs use a 2.4 GHz network and the Android/iOS Sengled application. Connection throttle is the most-frequent cause!
Here is what can make your Sengled smart bulb unresponsive and why it is happening:
Problem with the Sengled App
Issues with the Sengled app can cause the bulb to disconnect from your phone or throttle the connection.
This will make the bulb unresponsive until further notice.
A problem with your bulb’s power can also cancel the connection with the phone and put it on hold.
It will make the bulb unresponsive temporarily until the power supply is restored.
Another thing that will make your Sengled bulb unresponsive is a problematic WiFi connection.
Issues with the internet may have something to do with network equipment failures.
Sengled Bulb Malfunction
Your bulb may be unresponsive because it is no longer working. Like all pieces of tech, the Sengled smart bulbs degrade over time, and at some point, then fail.
We’ll put this possibility aside for now and attempt to do everything in our power to solve the problem.
Now that we know the most-frequently reported causes, let’s proceed with the solution!
How To Fix When Sengled Smart Bulb Not Responding?
To solve the problem with an unresponsive Sengled smart bulb, we’re going to follow a chronological list of solutions that will address each and every possibility.
This is the only way not only to solve the problem but also to prevent the true cause from appearing in the future!
Solution #1 Reconnect The Bulb
An unresponsive or not working bulb means that it got disconnected from your phone.
To fix the problem, you should simply get the smart bulb reconnected to your device and this should get the device to respond to your commands again.
Follow these steps and instructions to get your Sengled bulb reconnected:
- Ensure that your phone is connected to WiFi.
- Open the Sengled Home app.
- Press the three dots in the circle located in the top right corner.
- Press the “Add Device” option from the menu list.
- Ensure that your bulb is screwed tightly to the light switch.
- Once it appears in the discovery menu, press “Connect”.
- Wait for the Sengled app and your phone to complete the connection.
- Check if the bulb is going to work now.
Note: Test if your Sengled bulb is functional by checking if the light switch is turned on.
Solution #2 Power Cycle The Bulb
The universal solution to issues with the power of your Sengled bulb is the power cycle process.
This refreshes the bulb’s power income, re-establishes the connection, and restarts ALL services.
This is the method that has helped the most users so far so let’s jump right in!
Here’s how to power cycle a smart Sengled bulb in simple steps:
- Turn OFF the light switch and wait for your bulb to turn OFF.
- Grab a chair or something to help you reach the location of the bulb.
- Unscrew the bulb off the light slot.
- Wait for 5 minutes until the bulb becomes completely depleted of power.
- Re-attach the screw to the light slot.
- Turn on the smart device and check if the issue is now fixed!
Alert: If you keep your bulb unscrewed for less than 5 minutes, the power cycle may not be completed and the bulb will not discharge.
Solution #3 Connect To Appropriate WiFi
Your Sengled bulb uses the WiFi of your phone.
Walking out from that, if you have connected your phone to an incompatible WiFi, it will result in a failed connection and this unresponsive problem.
Let’s learn more about the WiFi requirements and compatibility!
What WiFi Does Sengled Bulbs Use?
There are a couple of requirements regarding the WiFi your bulb must connect to:
- Your phone must be connected to a 2.4GHz WiFi.
- The bulb is close to the router.
- Your phone is also close to the router.
If either of these requirements is not met, your Sengled bulb might fail to connect with the app and therefore your phone.
This could be producing the unresponsiveness in the Sengled bulb.
Note: In case the WiFi is down, make sure to inspect your network device (router or modem).
Solution #4 Update The Sengled App
Sometimes the entire inconvenience with the Sengled bulb comes from the phone app.
Most smartphones would automatically update apps, but in case you’ve disabled the Automatic Updates in the App Store or Google Play, this might be the problem.
Here’s how to update the Sengled App:
- Open the App Store or Google Play.
- Type “Sengled” in the search field and open the app page.
- Press on Update, if available.
- Wait for the update to finalize.
When the update is ready, test whether you’ll be able to connect the bulb to the app!
Solution #5 Clear Sengled App Cache
In some cases, the problem does not come from a missing update, instead, the issue could be related to bad files or corrupted data.
Luckily we can easily clear the bad data by reaching into the files of the Sengled application and here’s how:
- Open the Settings of your device.
- Reach into the Storage menu.
- From there select the Sengled application.
- Press on Clear Data and select Clear Cache.
When you’re ready, the initial settings will be gone so you’ll need to scroll up and use the very first solution of this post to reconnect the bulb to the app.
Note: The device might take up to 60 seconds to clear the cache data.
Solution #6 Reinstall The Sengled App
An issue with the Sengled application itself may also be impacting its ability to connect with your phone’s WiFi.
Corrupted or glitched data may often cause this issue with the app and you should definitely provide the application with a fresh start to exclude this possibility.
Here’s how to reinstall the Sengled app on your Android or iOS device:
- Open the storage settings of your phone.
- Go to the “Apps” section.
- Scroll down and locate the Sengled application from the list.
- Press the three dots to open the functions menu.
- Choose “Uninstall” to start removing the Sengled app from your phone.
- Once uninstalled, get the Sengled app from your phone’s App Store or Google Play.
Solution #7 Reset The Sengled Smart Bulb
Many users have reported that when the bulb worked fine for a few months and then suddenly became unresponsive, they’ve found the solution.
The key is to reset the bulb but not many people know how to do so. This reset is rather odd and does not mean turning it OFF and ON.
Actually, this is exactly what you need to do but 10 consecutive times. This is not a user-made method, in fact, the bulb will indicate a successful reset by blinking 3 times.
Simply turn the OFF and ON the bulb for at least 10 times until you see the light indication.
That should make the Sengled bulb become responsive and connect to the app.
In case the problem is persistent even after the reset, use solution #1 to reconnect the bulb, which should help.
Note: Feel free to perform the reset method whenever the bulb becomes unresponsive!
Hence, the Sengled smart bulb is unresponsive because it is disconnected from the app or your smartphone has lost WiFi connectivity. In rare cases, the unresponsiveness problem requires the Sengled bulb to be restarted 10 times using the switch.
Now that we’ve learned why Sengled smart bulb not responding and how to solve the problem in a few minutes, we’re ready to get the job done.
Keep in mind that when the problem does not go away and your Sengled bulb does not make any indications that it is working, users might need to contact support or replace the device for good.
We hope that this post is helpful and for more relevant and helpful guides, check our blog!
- How to Fix LG Sound Bar Remote Not Working? – Working Solutions - January 27, 2023
- Kitchenaid Freezer Not Working But Fridge Is? – Fixed! - January 27, 2023
- JBL Bluetooth Headphones Won’t Turn Off? – Complete Fix Guide - January 27, 2023