Is your Nanoleaf bulb unreachable? Keep reading, because we’re about to unwrap all possible causes for the problem as well as the best-working solutions against the issue!
When a Nanoleaf bulb is unreachable, what users check right away is whether the bulb is installed properly and is receiving power.
The next step is to verify that your network and WiFi are working correctly and determine if there’s an issue with the Nanoleaf app.
Let’s learn more!
When Is Nanoleaf Unreachable?
The Nanoleaf application may display “unreachable” when your Nanoleaf device is not in coverage or has other functionality or software issues.
The direct meaning of the “unreachable” error code is when your Nanoleaf app is unable to communicate with the bulb!
Causes Why Nanoleaf Is Unreachable:
- There’s an issue with the Nanoleaf app
- A power problem with the Nanoleaf device
- Improper installation of the Nanoleaf bulb
- Compatibility issues with Nanoleaf
- A problem with your mobile device
- Connectivity, network or router issues
- The Nanoleaf device is too far away!
Do This First!
Before we move on with any of our troubleshooting steps, ensure that the Nanoleaf bulb is installed in the light socket all the way.
Loose installment could result in a series of functionality issues, including power issues with the bulb!
8 Ways to Fix When a Nanoleaf Bulb Unreachable?
Tip: Follow our steps in chronological order to troubleshoot more sufficiently!
1. Re-Add the Bulb Correctly
Chances are that you’re not performing the Nanoleaf setup correctly.
We will start by going over the entire setup process of your Nanoleaf bulb from start to end, to ensure that you’re adding the bulb correctly, within the Nanoleaf application!
Before We Start…
Here’s a list of couple of things to verify/check before we add your bulb:
- You have the Nanoleaf mobile app installed
- The bulb is screwed onto a light socket
- You’re standing near the bulb with your phone
- Your network router/modem is working
How to Add a Nanoleaf Bulb to the Nanoleaf App:
- Launch the Nanoleaf app on your mobile device.
- Select the “MY DEVICES” tab from the bottom.
- Press the “+” icon to add a new device.
- Press on “ESSENTIAlS Bulb” next.
- Select “START PAIRING” to start.
- Get your Nanoleaf’s welcome card.
- Scan the QR code on the card with your phone.
- Wait for the bulb to connect with the app.
Info: Upon delivering your Nanoleaf bulb, there will be a welcome card in the package.
There’s a QR code that must be scanned through the Nanoleaf app to automatically configure the bulb!
2. Power Cycle the Nanoleaf Bulb
An effective solution is to perform a power cycle on the Nanoleaf bulb. The power cycle (or discharge in simple terms) is an advanced technique to ‘refresh’ the software of your bulb.
It’s a type of reset used to address issues with the bulb’s power, software, and hardware!
Follow these instructions to power cycle your Nanoleaf bulb:
- Reach the bulb’s light socket.
- Turn off the bulb from the switch.
- Rotate the bulb counterclockwise.
- Once the device feels loose, take it out.
- Wait for 3-4 minutes while the bulb is out.
- Rotate the bulb clockwise to screw it.
Alert: While performing the power cycle, ensure that the Nanoleaf bulb’s light socket is set to OFF.
This can be done from either a dimmer switch or a regular light socket switch!
3. Reboot your Network Router
One of the major reasons why your Nanoleaf bulb may be unreachable is when your network is offline.
With no WiFi connection, neither your mobile device nor your Nanoleaf bulb will be able to work properly and finalize the pairing.
Here’s how to reboot your network router easily:
- Press the power button on your modem/router.
- Wait for the network device to completely power down.
- Disconnect the power adapter of the network device.
- Hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the cable of the router.
Alert: It will take your router between 1 and 3 minutes to relaunch all network services and start delivering internet again.
You can determine if the network is online by inspecting which LED lights on the router are on. Each light has a sticker on what aspect of the network it displays!
4. Install your Bulb Elsewhere
Particular furniture or other wireless devices may be interfering with your Nanoleaf bulb at its current position.
To achieve a strong WiFi connection once your bulb is set up, it must be as close to the router as possible. In that regard, you must relocate your bulb!
Where NOT to Place Nanoleaf Bulb:
- Enclosed spaces/furniture
- Places away from the router
- Light sockets surrounded by thick walls
Where to Place a Nanoleaf Bulb:
- As close as possible to the router
- In open spaces/headrooms
- Away from other wireless devices
Info: The more open space your Nanoleaf bulb has around, the better it will connect and work!
Note Before Relocating:
Especially if you have multiple WiFi networks in your home, it’s best to keep the bulb close to only one of the WiFi routers or network devices.
A major wireless interference could take place if there’s a conflict of signals in the location of your Nanoleaf bulb!
5. Reset your Nanoleaf Bulb!
Perhaps, a factory reset is going to fix the issue with your Nanoleaf bulb.
If this is your first time setting up the device, you may have messed up something with the settings, but there are no settings/software issues that the reset cannot fix!
Here’s how to factory reset your Nanoleaf bulb easily:
- Switch the bulb OFF for 3 seconds.
- Switch the bulb ON for 1 second.
- Repeat the steps above 5 times.
Notice: The factory reset is going to be indicated by the bulb with three consecutive flashes in red light.
Once the bulb flashes in red color, you must stop interacting with the light switch and let the bulb undergo the factory reset sequence!
6. Ensure Nanoleaf’s Firmware is Current!
If you had the Nanoleaf bulb setup for a long time but it started to give problems now, it’s likely that the firmware of the bulb is outdated.
It’s a common occurrence when not updating your bulb for a long time to start experiencing functionality and software issues!
- Updating the bulb is possible only if it already has a profile in the Nanoleaf app!
Here’s how to check/update your Nanoleaf’s firmware:
- Launch the Nanoleaf app on your mobile device.
- Navigate into the Settings tab through the icon.
- Go to “Firmware Updates” and select your bulb.
- (Optional) Press “Update” if the button is available.
Info: The “Update” button will only become available when Nanoleaf posted an update for your bulb.
In the meantime when no update is available, the button will remain gray and unclickable.
7. Remove & Reinstall the Nanoleaf App!
If there’s a problem with the Nanoleaf application on your mobile device, we shall address the problem by removing and then reinstalling the platform.
Corrupted, glitched or outdated software data with the Nanoleaf platform could be making your bulb “unreachable”…
How to Reinstall Apps On Android:
- Launch the Google Play store on your device.
- Press on your profile icon at the top.
- Choose “Manage Applications”.
- Locate the Nanoleaf app from the list.
- Select the app and choose “Delete”.
- Download Nanoleaf from the Play Store.
How to Reinstall Apps On iOS:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone/iPad.
- Scroll down and find “Nanoleaf” in the app section.
- Press the application once to access the app settings.
- Hit the blue “Uninstall” action button.
- Wait for Nanoleaf to be removed.
- Download Nanoeleaf again from the App Store.
Tip: For many Android devices, you will be able to activate “Automatic Application Updates” upon installing Nanoleaf.
Check this feature to periodically receive updates for the app!
8. Test the Bulb in a Different Socket!
The quickest way out of your bulb’s power problems is to install the appliance in a different light socket.
Though you may have found the current socket most comfortable to place your bulb in, it could be interrupting the power to your Nanoleaf bulb, making it inactive.
- Unscrew the bulb with counterclockwise movements and locate a new socket!
You don’t have to necessarily keep the bulb in the new socket forever but for long enough to test if the device will be discoverable and reachable now.
Keep in mind that Nanoleaf bulbs primarily say “unreachable” when either their power income is disrupted, or there’s a software issue!
Note: If your Nanoleaf bulb works in the new light socket, contact a technician to examine the other switch where you had installed the bulb!
Hence, the solution when the Nanoleaf bulb is unreachable is to re-add the device properly first and then try the “power cycle” reset.
If that didn’t seem to work, check if your network router is functioning and perform a factory reset on the Nanoleaf bulb device.
- SimpliSafe Says Entry Sensor Open? (Here’s Your Fix) - February 25, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Offline? (Fix It Fast!) - February 25, 2024
- Sensi Thermostat No C Wire? (Fix & Install Now!) - February 25, 2024