When myQ not connecting to WiFi there could be quite a few reasons including your internet, the myQ application, and the WiFi mode.
Like any other smart device, the myQ garage door opener uses an application that connects to the WiFi and therefore, hooks up to the device.
There could be several causes that could interrupt the connection somewhere on its path and, in turn, prevent the functionality.
The myQ garage door opener will not connect to the WiFi whenever the WiFi mode is not enabled or you’re attempting to connect to a 5Ghz broadband. The myQ application can also form bugs that could impact or entirely prevent the WiFi connection.
Let’s now proceed with unwrapping the most frequently reported causes in regard to the WiFi connection with myQ and attempt to answer why the problem is happening to you.
To understand the problem better, we’ve prepared a list of the most commonly reported myQ connection problems.
Let’s learn more about each individual case:
1. Using 5Ghz WiFi
The myQ does not support 5Ghz WiFi broadbands, instead, you would need to connect to a 2.4Ghz network.
2. Internet Problem
Your internet could be currently down and this would be the reason why your myQ won’t connect to the WiFi.
3. Outdated Version of the myQ App
Not having the latest version of the myQ application may result in problems with connecting your garage door opener.
4. WiFi Mode not Enabled
For connecting your myQ garage door opener to the WiFi in the first place, the WiFi mode must be enabled using the device’s side panel button.
Your problem has a 99% chance to be related to one of the above-described scenarios.
Luckily the solutions below will address each possibility and help you localize the issue.
It’s strongly recommended to follow the solutions in order for best effectiveness against the WiFi connection problem.
It’s also important to follow the order of the solution so you can actually cover ALL possibilities and manage to determine where the issue is coming from.
The WiFi mode on your myQ garage door opener is what makes the device discoverable for connection.
There’s a high chance that you’ve missed out on this important step during the setup and that’s the reason your garage opener isn’t getting paired with the WiFi.
Here’s how to enable the WiFi mode on your myQ garage door opener and test:
- Go over to your garage door opener.
- Examine its surface and locate the learn (side) button.
- Press and hold the side button for 6 seconds.
- On your phone, go to the WiFi menu.
- Locate the network that starts with myQ–XXX.
- Tap the myQ network and then choose your home network.
- Enter the password of your network and tap on “Connect”.
Tip: You can find your network’s password at the bottom of your router or network device.
This far, myQ has made their garage door openers only compatible with 2.4GHz networks.
In that set of thoughts, if you were trying out to pair your garage door opener to a 5GHz network, it would always fail the connection.
If your network only has a 5GHz WiFi, here’s quickly how to enable second band WiFi connection on your router:
- Go to your laptop or PC running Windows.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing “CMD” on the windows search tool.
- Type “ipconfig” within the CMD and copy the default gateway of the network.
- Paste the gateway onto your device’s browser.
- Log in to the router using “admin” both for username and password.
- Once within the router settings, head to the “Network” tab and launch your 2.4GHz band.
Note: Your router may reboot while launching your new network. Make sure not to unplug the device from the power.
One of the main reasons that your myQ garage door opener isn’t getting connected to the WiFi is that there might be network problems.
Network/WiFi issues can both impact the internet strength, speed, coverage, and all devices connected to the WiFi.
Here are quick and easy fixes to network problems:
- Power cycle the router – Unplug the router from the power for 5 minutes.
- Reduce bandwidth usage – Don’t overwhelm your network.
- Disable network VPNs – Turn OFF activated network VPNs on your network.
- Contact ISP – Get in touch with your ISP in case there’s an outage.
Tip: If your ISP has an online website, make sure to check in there if your region currently has internet supply.
Since the myQ app makes the connection between your garage door opener and the household’s router possible, this would be one of the main suspects.
You should start by performing a reinstallation on the myQ home app to solve the issue you’re experiencing.
Here’s how to reinstall the myQ app in easy steps:
- On the device that you have myQ installed on, head to the storage unit.
- Locate the myQ app and press the info button.
- Once redirected to the settings, choose the “Uninstall” option.
- Head to the App Store or Google Play on your device.
- Search for myQ using the search field.
- Find the application and tap the “Download” button.
- Wait for myQ to be downloaded and installed.
- Launch the app and log into your account.
- Test pairing the garage door opener with the WiFi.
Note: Ensure that after downloading myQ it is automatically updated to the latest version. You can check in the device’s app store.
If nothing from our solutions worked so far, you should perform a factory reset on the myQ garage door opener.
This will erase all software configurations made to the device so far and hopefully, any bugs and glitches will also go along and be erased.
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on your myQ garage door opener:
- Press and hold the Settings button on your garage door opener.
- Hold the settings button until the blue LED blinks (~10 seconds).
- Press the settings button and keep holding it again.
- Wait for your myQ garage door opener to beep and then let go.
Tip: If you couldn’t hear a beep or the blue LED didn’t blink, repeat the instructions from step #1 until the reset undergoes.
When myQ is not connecting to the WiFi, you should begin by enabling or re-toggling the WiFi mode, using the side panel button. Then you should make sure to use a 2.4Ghz WiFi and cleanly install the myQ app. In case nothing helps, proceed with performing a factory reset on your myQ device.
Read Next: myQ Not Working With Google Assistant?
Now when you know why myQ not connecting to WiFi and what the solution includes, you’re ready to attempt and solve the myQ WiFi problem on your own.
Remember that if the issue persists you can seek help from the myQ support team by reaching out and describing exactly what you’re experiencing.
We hope that this post was helpful and if you’re looking for further guides you should check for solutions in our technical blog.
- Blink Live View Not Supported? – Complete Fix Guide - December 3, 2022
- Chefman Electric Kettle Won’t Turn On? – Fix Guide - December 3, 2022
- How to Fix Nanit Night Vision Not Working? – Complete Fix! - December 3, 2022