Don’t know how to install Ring doorbell with existing doorbell? Believe it or not, the process is actually really simple and, in this post, we’ll learn why.
Here we’ll go over the essentials you should be aware of, after which you won’t have a problem with the installation.
To install a Ring doorbell with the existing doorbell, first, remove your existing doorbell button. Then you should mount the bracket, connect the wires and place your new Ring doorbell in the mounting bracket!
If that was not enough for you, make sure to stick around a little further as we enveloped the whole process in the detailed step-by-step guide!
In order to install your Ring doorbell with an existing doorbell, there are a few things you must take care of beforehand.
The mounting bracket must have a place in order to install your Ring, so you will have to make sure both doorbells are compatible.
You will know your doorbells are compatible by looking at the screws of your Ring doorbell and the mounting bracket.
If you’re certain your devices are compatible, proceed with the following steps to install your Ring door
The very first step would be to remove the old button so you can mount the bracket.
Follow the steps down below to remove the existing doorbell button:
- Shut off the power of your circuit breaker.
- Disconnect the wires of your existing doorbell.
- Unscrew the button of your already installed doorbell and with slight force push it down until it comes off.
Important: There is a danger of electrical shock hazard.
If you’re not experienced enough to dismount the button yourself, it might be best to get in touch with a local technician to do it for you.
Once the button comes off, proceed with the next step.
Once you’ve removed the existing button of your current doorbell, it is now time to install the bracket of your Ring doorbell device.
For this purpose, you will only need the level tool included in the box of your doorbell.
Alert: Keep in mind that the circuit breaker must be flipped off at all times to avoid danger from electrical shock.
Once you have the tool, follow these steps to install your Ring doorbell bracket:
- In the already freed bracket of your old doorbell, place Ring’s mounting bracket in order to access the wires responsible for the power.
- Level the mounting bracket correctly, using the tool you’ve acquired earlier.
- Drive the screws of your Ring doorbell into the designed holes and screw them tightly.
- Once done, remove the level tool from the new bracket.
When you’re ready, it’s time to install the wiring.
Now that you have the mounting bracket of your Ring alarm, it is time to do the installation of the wires, which are going to supply your device with power.
It doesn’t really matter in what order you will be connecting the wires, as long as they are plugged into the correct spot.
Follow these steps to install your Ring alarm’s wires:
- Pull out the red and white wires you’ve disconnected from your previous doorbell and make sure they are not failing inside of the wall.
- Compare the wiring specs of your previous doorbell and Ring and make sure they match.
- Remove the faceplate of your Ring doorbell.
- Insert the included wall linkers inside of Ring’s delivery box.
- Get the red wire and screw it around one of Ring’s two poles.
- Grab the white wire afterward and screw it around the other pole.
- Finally, position the two screws that came with the Ring and screw them inside of the poles to secure the wires.
Note: Don’t hesitate to use force if the wires aren’t coming in.
By the end of this step, you must make sure all cables are plugged in tightly and are resting in a natural position (not twisting).
Once you have the wires connected to the new mounting bracket, it is time to install the camera itself.
Follow the steps down below to place your new Ring doorbell into the mounting bracket easily:
- Locate the slots on your Ring mounting bracket.
- Using the Ring doorbell back panel, push the slots a little back until you hear a click.
- Now slightly raise the camera until it is being held by the mounting bracket.
Once the camera is embedded in the bracket, you must make sure that the security screws are tightened up.
Otherwise, it is possible for your Ring camera to fall down at some point so you must make sure that possibility is prevented by tightening up the security screws.
Now that you know how to install Ring doorbell with an existing doorbell, in order to start using it, you must get yourself the Ring mobile app.
If this is the first time you’re installing a Ring doorbell, you must download the mobile app in order to control your device’s features.
Here is how to download & set up the Ring app:
- On your smartphone, open the Google Play/App Store.
- Write “Ring” and download the first result. (It should have more than 100 million downloads)
- Once downloaded to your phone, open the app and click on “Sign Up” if you don’t have a Ring account.
- Enter your email, create a password and confirm the message which was sent to your email’s inbox.
After creating your account, you must connect it to your Ring doorbell.
After you’ve registered and logged into Ring, the next step is to get your Ring doorbell connected with the smartphone.
Follow these steps to do it:
- In the Ring app, click on “Set Up Device”.
- Remove your Ring camera from the bracket and scan the QR code on the back.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and give your location to the Ring app.
After waiting for several minutes, your camera should automatically pair with your smartphone and you will be able to control its features remotely!
Note: It is optional to name your Ring doorbell.
We recommend doing this because households with multiple Ring cameras will have a hard time distinguishing the devices from one another.
You will be able to set a name for your Ring doorbell, by clicking on the “+” in the camera’s options and clicking on “Name My Camera” afterward.
To install a Ring doorbell camera to an old doorbell, first, remove the old doorbell’s button and install Ring’s mounting bracket. Next, disconnect the wires from the old bracket, connect them to Ring’s and install the camera into the bracket.
Download the Ring app, get your camera connected, and start using its features!
Now that you know how to install Ring doorbell with an existing doorbell easily, our step-by-step guide should be able to guide you through the process without much trouble!
After all, users shared the complexity of this process, so if you’re struggling at some point, perhaps you should call a technician to do it for you!
- YouTube TV NBC Not Working? – Complete Fix Guide - February 2, 2023
- Echo Dot Won’t Connect To Fire TV? – Complete Fix Guide - February 2, 2023
- Homekit Remote Access Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - February 2, 2023