There are times when you will wonder how to make Xbox controller not turn off.
It is not supposed to turn off for no apparent reason, but as you use it more, you might run into this problem a few times. The problem is when it starts shutting off while you’re playing and ruining your game.
If you’re experiencing this problem and wondering how to make your Xbox controller not turn off, the primary culprit is the battery compartment. Xbox allowed some extra space here, and there’s a chance that any movements can dislodge the batteries.
You can tape the batteries or fill up the space, so the batteries don’t move.
There are a few more reasons why your Xbox controller suddenly turns off. We’re going to take a closer look at how you can stop your controllers from doing this and ruining your games.
So, the next time you encounter this, you’ll know exactly what you need to do.
It’s always annoying when you’re in the middle of your favorite game, and your controller suddenly turns off.
Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why this can happen to your Xbox controller and ruin your game.
1. Loose Battery
Microsoft made the Xbox controller with a little bit more room in the battery compartment.
They did this to handle temperature differences and material expansion, but it can sometimes pose a problem where the contacts can come loose and make the controller lose power.
2. Dead Batteries
You may have forgotten to replace the batteries on your Xbox controller for a while now. Try putting in some fresh ones and see if the issue persists.
3. Outdated Controller Firmware
Xbox controllers come with their firmware, and you might not have updated them for quite some time.
Update to the latest version and see if your controllers still turn off at odd times whenever you play.
These are some of the most common reasons why your Xbox controller turns off.
We recommend checking your batteries as to how to make your Xbox One controller not turn off, as it’s a primary culprit.
How to Make Xbox Controller Not Turn Off – Solutions
Now that you know why your Xbox controller can turn off, it’s time to try some possible methods to fix it.
Here are some of the things you can do to ensure that your Xbox controller does not turn off while you’re playing.
Xbox Controllers come with extra space in their battery compartment to help deal with material expansion and temperature differences.
This extra space causes this issue as the contacts can easily get dislodged with just a little movement.
Here are some of the things you can do to fix the battery compartment:
- Tape the batteries down into the compartment.
- Fill with cotton or other materials to ensure that the batteries do not disconnect.
Note: When the batteries are tightly packed in the compartment and have less chance to move, it will not disconnect as often and turn your controller off at odd times.
Batteries that are not the freshest can cause your Xbox controller to turn off at unexpected times.
If you have not replaced your batteries for quite some time, they might be low on power and could cause this issue.
- Change the batteries on your Xbox controllers with a fresh set.
- If you’re using a rechargeable battery pack, charge it for a couple of hours, and put it back to your controller.
- If you’re using fresh batteries, pull them out, and put them back in. This can sometimes do the trick.
Note: If this works, it means that your batteries are running low.
It’s also likely that what’s causing this issue for you is not your controller but the pairing process.
To make sure that this is not the cause for you, here’s how to check it.
It’s not as simple as disconnecting the cable since your Xbox is paired with the controller wirelessly.
Unpair your Xbox controller:
- Plug a USB cable into your Xbox controller and a laptop or PC.
- Press and hold the Sync button for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Unplug the USB cable from the laptop or computer
- Your controller should be unpaired with your Xbox.
Pairing your Xbox controller:
- Find the Sync button on your Xbox and press it.
- Turn on your controller and press the Sync button.
- Wait for the lights to turn white, and they should be paired correctly.
This should fix the pairing between your controller and Xbox.
If, at this point, nothing seems to be working. You can try power cycling your Xbox to ensure that it boots up fresh and connect your controller.
- Hold the Xbox Button for about 10 seconds. Wait for it to shut down.
- Unplug your Xbox and wait for 15 to 30 seconds before plugging it back in.
- Press the Xbox Button to turn on your machine.
- Try reconnecting your controller again.
Note: This reboot allows all components to reset themselves.
The next option is to update the firmware. Newer controllers do not experience this kind of problem, so an update may just do the trick.
Follow the steps below to update the controller’s firmware.
- Connect the controller to the console via a USB cable and sign in to your Xbox Live account.
- Use the Menu button to access the menu, then go to Settings.
- Go to Devices and Accessories and choose your controller among the list.
- Select Update, then select Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the update.
Follow these steps correctly, and you will have an up-to-date controller that should not run into this issue.
If you have tested everything you could in this guide but still couldn’t fix the problem, it’s maybe time to try a different controller.
This way, you’ll know whether you have a faulty controller or something with your Xbox is wrong.
Note: You don’t necessarily need to buy a brand new controller right away. Try borrowing from a friend and see if it works.
If it does, then maybe you should consider getting a new one since you likely have a faulty controller. If it doesn’t, there could be other issues with your Xbox that you want to check out.
If you have problems with your Xbox Controller not turning off, check the battery compartment. The batteries may have simply been dislodged. You can quickly fix this problem by taping the batteries or filling up the space so they won’t move.
You can also swap them out with fresh batteries.
Read Next: How to Unsync an Xbox One Controller?
If you’re still wondering how to make your Xbox Controller not turn off, the methods in this post will help you identify the cause of the problem and fix it.
If all six solutions fail, you should connect with customer support. If the problem is on their end, you may ask for a replacement for your faulty controller.
If you find this post helpful and deal with other difficulties with another device, our blog can definitely help you fix the problem.
- SimpliSafe Says Entry Sensor Open? (Here’s Your Fix) - February 25, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Offline? (Fix It Fast!) - February 25, 2024
- Sensi Thermostat No C Wire? (Fix & Install Now!) - February 25, 2024