In this guide, we’ll learn how to connect Sengled to SmartThings in a few easy steps!
The process might require a few extra steps so make sure to read the entire guide before proceeding.
We’ll make sure to cover everything in detail so even users that have never done a connection like this before will be able to perform the pairing in minutes!
To connect the Sengled device to the SmartThings app, you’ll need to log in to the respective accounts and tap on Add Device. From there the Sengled device has to be working and SmartThings will be able to discover and pair in a few seconds.
Can You Connect Sengled Bulb to SmartThings?
Long story short, it is possible to connect Sengled to SmartThings.
For this purpose, you will need your SmartThings hub in close proximity to the bulb and you also installed the SmartThings application. Make sure to log in to your app accounts!
What you will be practically doing, is making your Sengled bulb a device inside of Samsung’s SmartThings application.
This will also grant access to even more configuration and management settings you may absolutely find useful.
Before we begin, there are a couple of conditions and preparation steps that must be aware of, necessary for the pairing of SmartThings with the Sengled bulb:
- You must have a Samsung hub
- The hub must be at least 3 feet away from the router
- The Sengled bulb cannot be used on a dimmer switch
- There must be a clear line of sight between the bulb and the hub
- The SmartThings app must be updated to the latest version
Once you’ve taken care of all of those things, you may proceed to the pairing process:
How to Connect Sengled Bulb to SmartThings?
The only thing left to consider before jumping into the steps is that connecting a Sengled bulb to SmartThings without a hub is not possible.
You will need the hub connected to the power and operational before proceeding further.
Let’s begin reviewing things one by one and get your Sengled bulb connected:
Step #1 Get SmartThings
The first and most important step is to get the SmartThings application for your mobile smartphone.
Assuming you already have the Samsung hub that goes with the application, you should only get the app and you’re good to go.
The SmartThings app can be acquired either from the App Store or Google Play.
It is a simple download that shouldn’t take longer than 60 seconds to be applied to your device.
When you’re ready then open the app, sign in and proceed with the next step.
Notice: If you haven’t registered in SmartThings yet, make sure to create a new profile!
Step #2 Enable “Insecure Rejoin”
This is a really important feature that you should enable before getting your bulb paired.
When enabled, this feature uses certain encryption to only allow authorized devices to join the home network.
If this feature is not enabled, your bulb may be unable to reconnect once the SmartThings hub shuts down or loses its own connection with the WiFi.
This will guarantee that even after a power outage or internet drop, the connection will renew once the failure is gone.
Enable Insecure Rejoin in SmartThings app > Devices > Hub > Security Mode OFF.
Info: When your bulb loses its power, the Sengled bulb will rejoin when possible!
Step #3 Turn ON the Bulb
Your next step is to turn on the bulb. There is no way for the SmartThings hub to recognize the bulb if it is not turned on, so it is essential to use a working light slot.
Your Samsung hub uses wireless technology, to locate eligible devices for a pairing that are near enough to be discovered.
By turning on your bulb, you will activate the bulb’s presence and make it discoverable for the Samsung bulb.
To turn ON the Sengled Bulb make sure that the light switch is pressed towards “ON”.
Alert: The Sengled bulbs cannot be used on dimmer switches and this will prevent the pairing process later.
Step #4 Go to the “Add Device” Page In SmartThings
Now, it’s time to access the SmartThings platform and start adding your Sengled bulb.
For this purpose, your mobile device must be connected to the WiFi and the SmartThings app must be updated to the latest version.
Follow these instructions, to get yourself to the “Add Device” page within SmartThings:
- From the home screen of your phone, press the SmartThings app.
- Hit the “+” button from the main page of the SmartThings app.
- Scroll a little bit down.
- Locate and press the “Add Device” button.
- On the next page, select “Sengled” from the list of available devices.
Note: By selecting Sengled, you will make your Samsung hub searches for devices that are assembled by Sengled.
Step #5 Select “Light Bulb” As Preference
Since Sengled has multiple types of devices, you will have to clarify what type of device you’re getting paired to SmartThings.
Assuming you’re using a bulb, on the next page, select the “Light Bulb” option to put your SmartThings to the scan for nearby light bulbs.
If by any chance you’re using an outlet, then you will have to select the “Outlet” option, which is located next to the “Light Bulb” option.
Once you’ve clarified the type of Sengled device you’re adding, move on to the next step:
Step #6 Create a Room/Select Existing One
To add your Sengled bulb to SmartThings, you must first create a room to register the bulb.
SmartThings functions exactly this way, you create a room > add devices > have complete control over the settings according to room.
Follow these instructions to create a room in the SmartThings app:
- After choosing the light bulb as a preference, select Work Hub and press Next.
- On the next page, you can select an already existing room.
- If you don’t have a room currently, choose Add New Room.
- From the next page, select the room that your bulb is in (kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc.).
- Once selected, tap Next.
- Set a name for the room or go with the default one.
- Press Next and wait to get redirected back to the first page.
- From there, select the new room you’ve created and press Next.
Notice: From now on, you will have access to your Sengled bulb in SmartThings, from the room settings in the SmartThings app.
Step #7 Undergo Pairing Session
This is the last step to connect Sengled to SmartThings. Now You will have to undergo a pairing session for the SmartThings app to detect your Sengled bulb.
Here’s how to pair the different Sengled bulbs:
- For the Sengled Element Touch, begin with the light turned OFF. Switch the light on and wait for the detection.
- For the Sengled Element Classic, Plus, and the Color Plus version, start with the light turned on. Switch the light ON and OFF 10 times. Wait for a detection.
If everything has undergone successfully, the SmartThings application should notify you of the successful pairing.
Then you can explore the settings and enjoy the connection!
How to Interact With Sengled In SmartThings?
Using your connected Sengled bulbs through SmartThings is really easy.
On the Home Page of the SmartThings application, you will have all of your rooms displayed.
According to the rooms, all devices that are connected to the specific room will have a little control tab.
By pressing on the field of your Sengled bulb, you can turn the device on and off. Press the “More” icon for additional settings regarding the bulbs.
Feel free to explore the functionalities and manage your smart devices with care. Learn more by reading the description of the setting!
Thus, to connect a Sengled device to SmartThings you’ll need to discover the bulb in the app by pressing on Add Device and choosing the type of the Sengled device. From there the on-screen instructions will help you finalize the pairing.
Here we’ve learned how to connect Sengled to SmartThings in a few easy steps and now you can enjoy all of the settings and benefits that both companies provide.
Customize your setup as per your desires and for more relevant content check below!
- For troubles with the Sengled Bulb check: Sengled Smart Bulb Not Responding
- For Sengled connectivity issues read: How to Fix Sengled Hub not Connecting to WiFi
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023
- My Dyson Hair Dryer Stopped Working? (7 Quick Solutions!) - December 7, 2023
- White Rodgers Thermostat Blinking Flame? (7 Proven Fixes!) - December 5, 2023