If you don’t know how to connect Govee lights to phone, what you need is to read this entire guide and you’ll definitely have your LEDs connected.
Such as many other LED strips, the Govee lights use Bluetooth and a mobile Home app.
To connect your Govee LED lights, you’ll need a smartphone that supports Bluetooth, the Govee Home application, and a power outlet to plug in your lights.
To connect your Govee lights to your phone you’ll need to enable Bluetooth and turn on the lights. Then you would need to add your Govee lights in the Home App and establish the Bluetooth connection.
Can Govee Lights Connect To Any Phone?
Long story short, Govee lights are capable of connecting through devices of any kind through the Govee home application.
You have to install the Home app onto your device that will let you pair the Govee lights and manage their settings.
The connection between the phone and the Govee lights is supported by Bluetooth.
Walking out from that, moving too far away from the Govee lights will prevent you from controlling them and the Bluetooth connection will fail.
Note: Phones that cannot download or store the Govee Home app, will not be able to establish the Bluetooth connection.
How To Connect Your Govee LED Lights To Your Phone?
Connecting the Govee lights to your phone sustains two main operations – getting the Bluetooth connection going and setting up the lights through the application.
The connection between your Govee LED lights and your phone of any kind happens through the Govee Home app which is going to be essential for this guide.
Before establishing the connection, you should undergo some preparation:
Step #1 Preparation
- Make sure that your phone is connected to the internet.
- Verify that you have at least 100 megabytes of storage on your phone.
- Ensure that your phone is updated to the latest available version.
- Connect your Govee lights to a power source.
- Verify that the Govee lights are receiving power and are functional.
Although there are more preparation factors, we will review them consecutively in the upcoming steps below.
With all of the above-described preparations, you’re ready to start.
Step #2 Acquire The Govee Home App
To connect the Govee lights to your phone, you will first have to acquire the Govee home app on your phone.
The application averagely requires around 100 megabytes (including the newest update) and wouldn’t take longer than a minute to be installed on your phone.
Here’s how to get the Govee home app on your phone in easy steps:
- On your phone, open the App Store or Google Play based on the OS.
- Once accessed the App Store, tap the search field.
- In the search field, write “Govee home app”.
- Press the search icon and wait for your app store to locate the applications.
- Once you’ve found the Govee app among the results, tap on it once.
- Locate the “Download” button on the application’s info.
- Tap the download button and wait for the application to download.
- Wait for the installation to undergo.
- Once the app is installed, locate it on your phone’s home screen.
Tip: Make sure that you’ve enabled “auto-update” in the settings of the app store for the Govee app to update automatically.
Step #3 Enable Bluetooth On Your Phone
The next step is to enable Bluetooth on your phone. The process for turning on the Bluetooth doesn’t differ much between iPhone and Android and you should be able to find it easily.
In case you’re having a hard time locating and enabling the Bluetooth on your phone, here are the instructions:
- To enable Bluetooth on the iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the slider.
- To enable Bluetooth on Android, go to Settings > Wireless > Bluetooth.
Tip: On iPhone and Android, Bluetooth can also be enabled from the quick menu of the device by pulling the top slider downwards.
Step #4 Add The Govee Lights
Now that you have the Bluetooth toggled on your device, it’s time to start adding the Govee lights by discovering them.
Once you’ve verified the functionality of your Govee lights, you should be able to ultimately discover them through the home app.
Here’s how to add the Govee lights to your phone in easy steps:
- On your phone, launch the Govee app.
- Wait for the application to load.
- From the home screen, press the “+” icon.
- Select the type of your Govee LED lights.
Note: Not selecting the correct type of your Govee lights may prevent your phone from discovering them.
Step #5 Discover & Connect The Govee Lights
Now that you’ve chosen the type of your Govee lights, it’s time to learn how to connect Govee lights to phone.
The application will automatically start discovering for devices of the selected type as soon as you press the “Next” button.
Upon you will show up a list of only available Govee LED light devices that are eligible to pair with your phone.
All you will want to do is press on the connection to finalize the pairing sequence.
Tip: Forget other Bluetooth connections on your phone for a smoother connection process.
Step #6 Finalize The Pairing
With the last step at hand, your LED lights should already be successfully connected to your phone.
All that is required from you now is to finalize the pairing by establishing the personal settings configuration.
All settings and features that you can manage will be displayed in the form of on-screen instructions during the rest of the installation process.
Note: Settings and features you select during the installation process can be changed and adjusted later.
What To Do If Govee LED Lights Can’t Connect To Phone?
Thus, to connect Govee lights to your phone, you would need to install the Govee Home app, turn on the Bluetooth on your phone and add the lights to your application. When discovered, choose your Govee lights by tapping on them and the Bluetooth connection will be ready.
In case your Govee LED lights couldn’t connect to the phone, there are multiple solutions you can test out:
- Move closer to the Govee lights, while holding the phone.
- Restart the Bluetooth feature of your phone and test.
- Update the Govee Home app if there’s an update.
- Power cycle the Govee LED lights.
- Reinstall the Govee Home app and then test.
In case you’re confident that something does not work with your Govee lights, now would be the time to attempt and use your warranty.
If none of the solutions above were helpful to you, consider contacting Govee’s technical support team to either get additional assistance or replacement lights.
Read Next: Can Turtle Beach Headphones Connect to iPhone?
Now when you know how to connect Govee lights to phone you can change colors, adjust brightness and turn ON and OFF your LED strip.
Don’t forget that Bluetooth supports up to 10m/32.8ft distance so you’ll have to be relatively close to the Govee LED lights to be able to control them without interruptions.
We hope that this guide was helpful for you to connect Govee lights to a phone and for more posts such as this one make sure to check our online technical blog.
- Kwikset Smart Lock Code Change – FoolProof Guide - May 25, 2023
- How to Connect Turntable To Marshall Speaker? - May 25, 2023
- Asko Dishwasher Not Drying? – Complete Fix Guide - May 25, 2023