To learn how to connect Govee lights to Google Home we need to understand whether both devices are compatible and then how the connection works.
The preparation includes:
- Govee lights control app
- Google Home App
- Working 2.4GHz WiFi
To connect the Govee lights and Google Home both devices must be turned ON and the user should have the setup process complete. In the Google Home app, the Govee lights should be added and to use them a Virtual Room has to be created.
If you’re wondering whether your Govee lights can get connected to Google Home, the quick answer is Yes.
Govee lights are well-known to be compatible with popular smart home assistants, such as Cortana, Alexa, and Google Home.
The Govee lights must be connected to the Govee smart platform first and only then you can navigate their connection towards the Google Home application.
We will explain everything in a step-by-step guide and you will be able to get the lights connected in no time!
Connecting the Govee LED lights to Google Home requires both devices to be set up first.
We assure you that you’ve got the Google Home app installed and connected and the Govee LED system is what’s left.
Let’s start with connecting the lights first:
In order to connect the Govee lights, you must first set them up.
Setting up your Govee lights includes connecting them to power and making sure that they are turned on, so they can be discovered by the Govee application.
Note: The lights should turn on in a random pattern as an indication.
Your next step is to acquire the Govee Home application on your mobile smartphone.
This platform will be used to connect the Govee lights and then later redirect them to Google Home.
Here’s how to download and install the Govee home app on your smartphone:
- Open Google Play or the App Store on your device.
- Use the search field to write “Govee Home”.
- Download the first result which is the Govee Home app.
- Wait for the platform to be installed on your device.
- Open up the application and create your Govee registration.
Note: If you already have a Govee registration, write your credentials in the required fields and press “Sign In”.
Your next step is to add the Govee lights to the Govee home application.
Once you have the application installed on your mobile device and you’re logged in with your account, all you have to do next is add the lights so they can become compatible with Google Home.
Here’s how to add the Govee lights to the Govee home app in easy steps:
- Open the Govee home application.
- Press on “Add Device”.
- Select the type of Govee lights you wish to add.
- Connect the Govee lights to the WiFi with the next prompt.
- Follow the rest of the instructions to finish the setup of your Govee lights.
Note: Make sure that you connect the Govee lights to a 2.4GHz WiFi network since they are not compatible with 5GHz yet.
Now that you have your Govee lights set up with the Govee Home app, your next step is to open the Google Home application and navigate to the correct tab.
Whenever you’re adding devices on Google Home, you will be asked whether you wish to set up the device now or if you have something already set up.
Perhaps you’ve already configured your Govee lights and only wish to connect them with Google Home.
Here’s how to go to the account linking page in the Google Home app:
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone.
- Press the “Add Button” (a little plus on the top right).
- Next, choose “Have Something Already Set-Up”.
- Wait to be redirected to the linking screen.
Note: You won’t be able to link the accounts by pressing on “Set Up a New Device” when you’ve already got your Govee LEDs ready.
And now that you’re on the right page in the Google Home application, it’s time to link your Govee Home account with Google Home.
This is what will establish the connection and allow you to control the features of your Govee lightning system.
Here’s how to link your Govee Home account with Google Home in easy steps:
- On the “I already have something set up” page, press the “Browse” button.
- Search through all services compatible with Google Home.
- Use the search field to locate the Govee Home service.
- Press the Govee home service and wait to be redirected.
- Write down your Govee Home credentials.
- Once done writing the username and password, press the “Link” button.
- Wait for your Govee Home account to be linked with Google Home.
Now when the accounts are linked the connection is established. To gain control over the Govee lights, you’ll need to set Virtual Rooms in the Google Home app in the next step.
Note: Remember that both devices should be connected to the same WiFi network for both accounts to be able to link.
To make the Govee lights work, you must add them to a virtual room within the Google Home application.
Based on where you’ve positioned the Govee lights, you should add them in a virtual room to allow greater customization later.
Here’s how to add the Govee lights to a virtual room in easy steps:
- Open the Google Home application on your device.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Choose “Room Settings”.
- Select one of the already configured virtual rooms.
- Now on the top, press the plus (+) to Add Device.
- The Govee lights will become available as an option.
- Add the Govee lights to the virtual room.
- Test to see if the device works.
When you have more than one Govee lighting system in your home, you’ll need multiple virtual rooms. Set a name according to the room. For example, living room or bedroom.
Note: You can create multiple rooms with the “Add Room” at the virtual room settings tab.
Finally, you will be able to use the Govee lights via Google Home. Feel free to test a variety of commands through the Google Home app, towards Govee lights.
Here are some of the operations you can perform:
- Hey Google, lower/increase the brightness of the light in the [virtual room name].
- Hey Google, switch the light’s color to green.
- Hey Google, turn OFF/ON the lights in [virtual room name].
You can name your virtual rooms to be able to tell Google Home the location of the lights that you want to interact with.
You can also manually adjust and explore more settings in the Google Home Virtual Room settings.
Tip: Google Home and Govee LEDs connectivity are better when both devices are closer to each other.
Hence, the connection to the Govee LEDs requires active WiFi to connect both devices. Then users should link their Govee and Google account for the connection to be established. Lastly, a virtual room should be formed to allow control.
Read Next: Govee Lights Not Connecting To Bluetooth?
Now that we’ve learned how to connect Govee lights to Google Home you can enjoy the comfort of controlling the lights with voice commands.
Keep in mind that when the devices disconnect from the WiFi due to a network problem or outage, the connection will drop.
In case of any further problems, feel free to discuss the issue with Govee customer service or Google Help Center. For more related posts, check our online tech blog.
- Wyze Camera Making Noise? – (7 Proven Solutions!) - December 10, 2023
- Philips Roku TV Won’t Turn On No Red Light? (6 Quick Fix!) - December 10, 2023
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023