Having an issue where the HomePod Mini not playing music? Worry no further! The causes of the problem are well-known and can be fixed easily with our solution.
We will provide you with a complete setup guide before that, to make sure that you’re not letting any mistakes slip into the situation.
To fix a HomePod Mini that isn’t playing music, power cycle the device and enable the AirPlay & Handoff from the settings of your phone. Play a different Apple music track and update the music app along with your HomePod. Only then, perform a factory reset on the HomePod.
Let’s learn what are the first steps of setting up your HomePod so you can make sure everything is done correctly.
What To Do When HomePod Mini Not Playing Music?
There’s an entirety of things you have to do to set up your HomePod for being available to play music from the Apple application.
Before we provide you with the solutions, you should first check the complete guide for setting up your HomePod Mini to play Apple music.
How To Setup HomePod Mini To Play Apple Music?
- Ensure that your HomePod is plugged into a power source.
- Unlock your iPhone or Apple Device and hover it next to the HomePod.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to play music from your HomePod.
- Manage the settings of your HomePod mini as you prefer.
- Touch the “Set Up” button to complete the setup.
- On your Apple device, open the Settings and access the “General” tab.
- Go to “AirPlay & Handoff” and tap on “Transfer music to HomePod”.
- Make sure the AirPlay is ticked and play music on your phone through Apple music.
- Hover your music-playing Apple device next to the HomePod.
- Wait for the music to be transferred.
This was how to set up your HomePod mini with any Apple device to play music from the Apple music application.
If that couldn’t solve the problem by any chance, keep reading to learn what are the best solutions to the problem you’re experiencing.
Note: The AirPlay of your HomePod mini, with the capability of hovering the phone next to the speaker and it starting to play music, is only available with Apple products. Using an Android is not proven to work the same way.
How To Fix HomePod Mini Not Playing Apple Music?
The solutions coming up in our guide are designed to troubleshoot your HomePod with a consecutive series of steps.
Make sure that you apply them in the correct order and test your HomePod’s music capabilities after each of our fix attempts.
Here’s how to fix your HomePod mini that won’t play Apple music from your Apple device.
Solution #1 Restart Your HomePod Mini
The first thing you should attempt is a restart on your HomePod mini.
There could be a temporal bug or glitch, preventing the device from playing music that you’ve started on an Apple smartphone.
Here’s how to restart your HomePod mini:
- Hit the power button on your HomePod mini.
- Wait for the device to completely shut down and unplug its power adapter.
- Standby for another 5 minutes while the HomePod finishes discharging.
- Re-attach the power adapter back to your HomePod.
Important: It’s crucial to use an iPhone when playing music to the HomePod mini, cause otherwise, the device won’t detect the music.
Solution #2 Reconnect HomePod To WiFi
If your HomePod refuses to play music, there’s a high chance that it got disconnected from the WiFi.
For this purpose, you will only need the Home app to which your HomePod must already be connected if you followed the instructions at the start of our guide.
Here’s how to reconnect your HomePod to the WiFi with easy instructions:
- Go over to the Home app on your Apple device.
- From the devices tab, select your HomePod mini.
- Tap the gear wheel at the bottom-right position of the page.
- Check the internet state of the HomePod.
Note: When having your HomePod play something from the Apple device, it automatically connects to the phone’s network.
It will remain this way until another track is playing from a different device.
In that regard, connecting your HomePod to the WiFi involves switching the network on your own iPhone, iPad, or MAC.
Solution #3 Test With Different Song
Chances are that the track you’re attempting to play on your HomePod mini isn’t working.
In that regard, what you should do next is to airplay an alternative song to your HomePod mini from the Apple device.
Here’s how to play a different song to your HomePod mini:
- On your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Macbook), open the Music app.
- Search for an alternative song, different from the one you were testing with.
- Check if the song is available in your country.
- Play the song and hover your Apple device close to the HomePod.
- Check if the music is going to play.
Note: By the time you’re testing with an alternative song, you must make sure that the HomePod is up and running. Otherwise, the music isn’t going to get transferred.
Solution #4 Update HomePod/Music App
If the issue wasn’t solved by now, the Music app on your iPhone or the HopePod OS might be outdated.
What you should do is check both of the versions on your HomePod and Apple Music app and update them in case there is room for an update.
Note: Latest version is required both on your HomePod and Music app to make connections to each other and for the music to get transferred.
Let’s begin with updating the HomePod:
How To Update HomePod Mini Version?
- Go to the Home app on your phone.
- Tap on Home Settings, beneath your HomePod connection.
- Choose “Software Update”.
- If there’s a new update, select “Update”.
How To Update Music App?
Since the Apple Music app is a default app for every Apple device, it receives automatic updates.
However, some users may have stopped them from the settings, which means that they would have to manually do it.
Here’s how to update the Music app:
- Go over to the App Store.
- Search for the Apple Music app.
- Under the Info button, there should be an “Update” button in blue color.
- Tap it once for your music app to get updated.
If updating your HomePod and music app didn’t help, proceed with the next and final solution in our guide.
Solution #5 Reset HomePod
If nothing worked so far, you should perform a reset on the HomePod.
It practically works by re-adding the HomePod from the Home app, so it will be significantly easy to do.
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on your HomePod mini:
- Go over to your HomePod Mini and make sure that the device is running.
- Unplug the HomePod from the power for 10 seconds.
- Put your finger on the top of the HomePod while plugging it back.
- Wait for the white spinning light to turn red.
- Lift your finger off of the HomePod.
- Wait for the three beeps, which indicates success.
Note: Once the reset is done, you will have to re-add the HomePod to the Home app for the settings to be re-applied.
Read Next: Can Turtle Beach Headphones Connect to iPhone?
Thus, to fix a HomePod mini that won’t play Apple Music, restart the device and play an alternative song to test out with. Update the Apple Music app along with the HomePod and only then, perform a factory reset to see if that will help.
Now that you know what is causing the HomePod mini not playing music issue, we hope you could fix the problem easily.
In case the music is still not there, you should contact Apple to understand what are the next steps towards the solution of the problem.
- Kwikset Smart Lock Code Change – FoolProof Guide - May 25, 2023
- How to Connect Turntable To Marshall Speaker? - May 25, 2023
- Asko Dishwasher Not Drying? – Complete Fix Guide - May 25, 2023