So, the HomePod mini handoff not working and you can’t fix the problem?
The HomePod mini’s handoff only works with iPhone 11 and above. With that said, having an iPhone that isn’t the 11 series or above, won’t activate the HomePod’s handoff.
Also, note that the handoff works the other way around as well.
To fix whenever the HomePod mini’s handoff isn’t working, start with a power cycle on the speaker and update its software from the application. Next, ensure that you’re using an iPhone 11 and above and then update the iPhone’ software as well.
There are many specifics to this problem we must mention before directly troubleshooting the problem. Here’s what you should be aware of.
The handoff feature of your HomePod is really convenient whenever you want to transfer something that you’re currently listening one device to another.
For instance, if you’re listening to music on your iPhone 11 or above, you can hover the smartphone next to the HomePod and the music will be transferred to the speaker.
Note: The process also works the other way around, as the HomePod can transfer the music to your iPhone.
Here’s what is causing the handoff to stop working suddenly:
1. Not Using Handoff-Supported iPhone
Most users mistake that, for instance, their iPhone X supports handoff. Unfortunately no. Handoff is supported by iPhone 11 and above.
2. Outdated HomePod/iPhone Software
Handoff had become available in the more recent OS versions of HomePod. Not having the device update will result in the handoff not working.
3. HomePod Volume Lowered
Lowering the volume of the HomePod all the way won’t enable the device from accepting the music and even if it does, you won’t hear any of it.
There can be interference with the wireless signal between your HomePod and iPhone, which is essentially preventing the Handoff from working.
5. Incorrect Settings
There could be a blunder with the settings of either the HomePod or the iPhone that is preventing the handoff.
Now let’s dig deep into the problem’s root causes and get it solved in a matter of minutes.
After clarifying what has gone wrong with your HomePod and iPhone’s handoff feature, let’s review the best solutions you should use to solve the problem.
Just remember to follow our fixes consecutively so you don’t have to come back later to the guide and get confused with what you’ve attempted already.
Here’s how to solve the HandOff issues with the HomePod mini:
What you first have to do is ensure that the HandOff is enabled on your iPhone.
With iPhone 11, the feature has been unlocked and the Handoff feature became available from the settings menu on your iPhone’s software.
Here’s how to toggle the HandOff feature on your iPhone 11 and above in easy-to-follow instructions:
- On your iPhone, go to the home screen.
- Tap the Settings icon and wait for the configurations to open.
- Navigate to the General tab, which should have 3 options below the “Software Update” button.
- Next, open AirPlay & HandOff configurations, within the general tab.
- Now you can press the “Enable HandOff” from the following screen.
Note: If there are any on-screen instructions that will prepare the feature, make sure to follow them.
The Handoff may be working but if you decrease the volume of your HomePod all the way, you won’t notice the call, music, or sound you’ve hand-offed.
In that regard, you will want to boost the volume of your HomePod for the sound coming out to become audible.
To increase the HomePod’s volume, press the Volume/+ button on the top of the speaker.
You will want to press the button about 15 times, to ensure the audio levels are increased enough, for you to hear the redirection from the iPhone sound.
Note: By the time you’re increasing the volume of your HomePod, ensure that you’re transferring something that certainly has audio.
Users and Apple themselves said that the Handoff may not work on outdated iPhones or HomePods mini.
If that’s the case, you will want to perform a software update both on the HomePod and then on your iPhone.
Let’s begin with updating your HomePod first:
- Access the Home app on your iPhone.
- Go to the Devices manager and choose the HomePod mini.
- Next, navigate to Software Update.
- If there’s a new update available, tap on “Update”.
- Open the Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “General” tab from the settings.
- On the first option, there should be a “Software Update”.
- Wait for the checker to finish looking for updates.
- If an update is found, initiate it with the “Update” button.
Note: Test your iPhone and HomePod’s Handoff ability after updating each of the devices.
Users reported that rebooting the HomePod mini can fix issues with the Handoff feature that you’re currently going through.
However, we suggest that you enhance the reboot and completely power cycle the HomePod, which is a good approach.
Here’s how to power cycle the HomePod mini in easy steps:
- Unplug the power adapter of the HomePod from both ends.
- Wait for 5 minutes with the power adapter completely disengaged.
- Re-attach the HomePod mini’s adapter first into the HomePod then the power source.
- Wait for the device to turn on.
Note: Double-check if you’re plugging the power adapter of the HomePod mini securely into both of the instances.
If nothing so far managed to solve the problem with the HomePod mini’s Handoff feature, we can suggest a factory reset.
All software configurations, settings, and data will go along with a factory reset, which can also solve power glitches and bugs the device has.
Here’s how to reset the HomePod mini easily:
- Open the Home app on the iPhone.
- Go to the Devices manager once again.
- Choose the problematic HomePod mini you wish to reset.
- Scroll down and tap on “Remove Accessory”.
- Press the top of the HomePod and hold it down for 10 seconds.
- Just before letting go of the button, unplug the power adapter and reconnect it.
- Re-add your HomePod to the Home app.
Note: If you want to re-apply any settings to the HomePod in the Home app, write down the settings to re-do them later.
Thus, to fix a HomePod mini that doesn’t work with Handoff, power cycle the speaker and enable Handoff on your iPhone. Next, update the software of both your iPhone and HomePod mini. Lastly, trigger a reset on the HomePod mini.
So, you’ve figured out how to fix the HomePod mini handoff not working problem? Expect nothing less from our guides!
If you’re interested in more of our content, you can check out our own technical online blog, where you will find an answer to all of your inquiries!
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023