What to do when an Amcrest camera will not record?
The solution is simple!
When the Amcrest camera is not recording videos, you’ll need to inspect the storage SD card and power cycle the problematic device. Further troubleshooting includes formatting the SD card and performing a complete factory reset on the camera.
Now that we’ve suggested the solution, let’s jump into the complete guide!
One of the reasons that your Amcrest camera isn’t recording events, is that the motion detection hasn’t been set up.
There is also a continuous recording that you can set up on your camera and all footage created by the device goes into a micro SD card.
Let’s start eliminating the possible causes of this problem one by one:
Perhaps, you haven’t set up the continuous recording on your Amcrest camera and that’s the reason the device is not making any footage.
To set up the continuous recording function on your Amcrest camera, you will need access to the Amcrest View Pro application.
Here’s how to enable continuous recording on your Amcrest camera:
- Open the Amcrest application on your mobile device.
- Press the menu button at the top left.
- Press the “Configuration Center” option, under “Push Notifications”.
- Now, go to “Recording Schedule”.
- Select the camera you wish to apply the recording schedule for.
- In the next list, you will see 5 modifiable recording schedules.
- Pick a recording schedule for your camera that matches your preference.
- Edit the schedule however you want.
- Check if your Amcrest will now record according to the schedule.
Note: If you edited the recording schedule, make sure to save the changes by tapping “Save”, before exiting the configuration menu.
As you probably know, for continuous recording on most cameras, you must have an inserted SD card that stores the videos.
If the camera failed to detect the SD card or the card got displaced, your Amcrest unit will not have storage to save the recordings.
Before replacing the SD card, you should attempt to re-insert:
- Uninstall the camera from the holding switch.
- Take a look at the back of the camera.
- Locate the latch of the micro SD card slot and pull it down.
- Eject the micro SD card out of the camera.
- Now, insert the card back into the card slot and press it in to secure.
- Check if the Amcrest camera can make recordings now.
Note: Make sure not to apply too much force when securing the micro SD card.
Sometimes the recording problem may have something to do with a software bug on your Amcrest camera.
The best approach to the problem is to power reset the Amcreset camera to determine if that would solve the recording issue.
You can perform a power reset on your Amcrest camera in the following ways:
- Power reset on WIRED (IP) camera – disconnect the supplying power cable of the camera for 5 minutes and then reconnect it.
- Power reset on WIRELESS (Wi-Fi) camera – detach the camera off the stand, open the battery compartment and remove the batteries. Put them back in after 5 minutes.
Make sure that once you bring the power supply of your camera back, the LEDs should start blinking, which will indicate that the unit is receiving power.
One of the reasons that your Amcrest camera won’t record is that it doesn’t detect the SD card.
If the problem persists even after reinserting the card, you should check if it is recognized by the camera. In case of an error, the formatting should help.
Here’s how to format the SD card of your Amcrest camera:
- Ensure that the SD card is inserted into your Amcrest camera.
- Open the Amcrest View Pro app.
- Go to “Configuration Center”.
- Go to “Storage”.
- Next, head to “Destination”.
- Now press the “SD card” option and check if the unit shows on the page.
- Press “Format” if an error with the SD card shows up.
Note: If your SD card’ status is active and there is no error, you can avoid formatting the drive and save the footage that is made so far.
If the issue was not related to the SD card, perhaps there’s a software fault with your Amcrest camera that is preventing the unit from recording.
In such situations, it is recommended to perform a factory reset to fix the problem.
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on your Amcrest camera:
- Raise the camera upwards.
- Locate the reset button on the back of the unit (situated on the black panel).
- Press and hold the reset button for 45-60 seconds.
- Allow the camera to reset and wait for the head of the unit to rotate.
- When the LED blinks in green, the reset is complete.
Alert: Note that the green light indicates that the camera is ready to reconnect with the app, thus, you’ll need to perform the connection manually.
If the recording is still not working, then replacing the SD card of your Amcrest camera will solve this problem.
It’s common for those memory cards to go faulty or to go through without being recognized by the device they are inserted in.
That’s why we suggest replacing the SD card inside of your Amcrest camera and checking if that would solve the problem.
Acquire a new SD card that matches the storage you wish to have for videos and when you’re ready perform a test.
Alert: Make sure that when you place the SD card in the slot, the metal pins are facing upwards as the latch closes.
If your Amcrest camera refuses to capture events, then this has something to do with the motion tracking’s effectiveness.
Your camera will only start a recording, if the motion tracking is enabled and if there is a motion, of course.
Here’s what you can do if your Amcrest camera isn’t recording any events:
- Open the Amcrest View Pro application.
- Access the configuration settings of your camera.
- Press the “Auto Tracking” icon to enable the motion tracking feature.
- Go to “Recording”.
- Enable “Motion Recording” events.
Note: Be aware that there’s a 10 seconds delay between motion recording captures.
- Open the Amcrest View Pro app.
- Go to your camera’s configuration.
- Head to the “Recording” tab.
- From there, search for a feature, labeled “Sensitivity”.
- Increase the feature enough, so the camera can trigger motion detection events.
Alert: Don’t increase the sensitivity too much, or this can make the camera make recordings even when not necessary.
To fix issues with the events recording, make sure that your camera’s FOV is free space (backyard or in front of the door).
Make sure nothing covers the camera or there are any walls or solid objects in front of the device.
Tip: You can position the camera as high as possible so it can capture more area and be free of any obstructions.
Hence, when your Amcrest camera won’t record videos your first move should be to inspect and format the SD card (storage). Moreover, you should stop the continuous recording option and conclude by resetting the Amcrest camera to factory settings.
Now that we know when the Amcrest camera will not record, you should be able to localize the problem and permanently solve the issue.
In case the camera still won’t record, regardless of what you’re attempting, the best next step would be to contact Amcrest customer service.
We hope that this post was helpful and to discover more related topics, check our tech blog!
- Shark Robot Vacuum Obstruction Error? (7 Proven Solutions) - December 7, 2023
- My Dyson Hair Dryer Stopped Working? (7 Quick Solutions!) - December 7, 2023
- White Rodgers Thermostat Blinking Flame? (7 Proven Fixes!) - December 5, 2023