The only component that prevents your Xbox One from overheating is its cooling fan. If you are having problems with your Xbox One fan not working, you will want to fix it immediately.
These seldom break, but there are a few instances when they stop working. The fixes are quite simple, and you can surely perform them by yourself.
One of the most common reasons why the fan not working on Xbox One is dust and dirt.
The fan sucks in air from the outside and if you place your console where there’s a lot of dust, it can accumulate on the fan and cause it to stop working. Give your Xbox One good airflow and away from dust to avoid clogging the fan.
There are several causes of why your Xbox One fan stops working. However, they’re not as bad as you think since you should be able to fix them quickly.
It’s essential that you resolve the issue right away since a malfunctioning fan can cause your console to fail.
These are the most common causes of your Xbox One fan failing to work. It usually is accumulated dust especially if you do not clean your console regularly.
This issue usually develops slowly over time and if you do not maintain your Xbox One, it is likely that the fan will stop working.
One of the things you have to watch out for when your console starts overheating after a few minutes you start playing is dust and dirt.
If you are not cleaning your Xbox One regularly, there is a good chance that dust and dirt have accumulated inside.
If your Xbox One is not getting enough power, some components will not run. There are instances when the fan is switched off and can cause other issues like overheating.
You will need to make sure that your console is getting enough power so all of the components continue to work.
Small glitches and bugs can occur that will cause your Xbox One fan to stop working.
It could be a system update that was not installed properly. If your console is experiencing this, it should be a quick fix as a simple reboot or an update can resolve the issue.
If you are experiencing the fan not working on Xbox One, there are several troubleshooting steps that you can perform to fix it.
We have provided the best fix methods so you can try it out and find out the cause of you the fan is not working.
The number one enemy of consoles is dust and dirt. If you put your Xbox One in your entertainment area, it is likely in an open part of your home and is exposed to lots of dust.
There are several things you can do to make sure that dust does not accumulate around your console and enter it.
Here are some of the ways you can keep your Xbox One dust-free:
- Make sure your Xbox One is on a hard, flat surface off the floor.
- It helps if you can put it inside a TV stand or a shelf.
- Keep oils, air fresheners, or smoke away from your Xbox One.
Note: Avoid spraying air fresheners or cleaning chemicals near your console. The oils can get pulled in by the fan, and the dust can stick to it.
Another thing you need to consider if you experience your Xbox One X fan not working is to ensure proper airflow to your console.
Your Xbox One comes with intake slots where the fan pulls in air from the outside.
If this intake vent is blocked your fan will have a harder time moving the air which can cause it to stop working.
Here are the ways you need to do to ensure your Xbox One has excellent airflow:
- Do not put your console on top of soft surfaces like a bed, sofa, or carpet.
- If you place your console inside a TV cabinet or rack, make sure there is enough space around it.
- Get an external cooling fan that attaches to the intake vent for better airflow.
Note: Make sure that the intake vents are open and are not covered by a piece of plastic, wood, or any other material.
Any obstruction can cause the fan to stop working and eventually overheat your console.
After moving your Xbox One to a place where there is less dust and has excellent airflow, if the fan still does not work it’s possible that the dust has accumulated on the inside.
You will need to check if dust and dirt have indeed penetrated so you can take the necessary steps to clean your console.
The first thing you need to do is to check the intake and exhaust vents. You will know if there’s a lot of dust inside the console if the vents are also filled with it.
Here’s how to clean your console:
You will need a few cleaning materials. Experts recommend getting a can of compressed air, a small brush like a toothbrush, and a microfiber cloth.
- Turn off and unplug your console from the outlet.
- Remove all peripherals and cables attached to your Xbox One.
- Using a small brush, loosen the dust around the ports, vents, and other openings.
- Use the can of compressed air to blow the dust away.
- Wipe down the surface of your Xbox One to get rid of the dust.
Note: Make sure to only use short bursts of air when cleaning your Xbox One.
This way, you can effectively blow the dust away especially those that get stuck on the fan.
If the fan on your Xbox One still does not work, you can look at it from a power delivery point of view.
It could be possible that your console is not getting the needed power to run all of its components properly.
This is especially true if you have tons of peripherals connected like the Kinect, extra controllers, and more.
Here are the steps you need to take if you suspect it’s a power delivery issue:
- Unplug attached peripherals on your Xbox One (Kinect, controllers, and others).
- Try plugging your console into a different wall socket.
- If available, try using a different power brick.
- Restart your Xbox One to see if the fan starts working.
To fix fan not working on Xbox One and you think it’s due to a power issue, you will need to look at the console’s internal power supply.
The quickest way to resolve this is to reset the internal power supply. This will discharge the circuit and drain the capacitors allowing the fan to start working again.
Here are the steps you need to take to reset the internal power supply of your Xbox One:
- Unplug the power cables from the console.
- Wait for 10 seconds up to 2 minutes.
- Discharge the circuit by pushing the power button.
- Plug the power cable back into the console, and plug it into the socket.
- Turn on your Xbox One and check if the fan is turning.
If all of these steps fail, and you might suspect it’s a software issue or bug, you can reset the software of your Xbox One.
This will revert your console to its factory settings removing the cause of the fan not working.
Here is how to perform a system reset and restore your Xbox One to its factory settings:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the menu.
- Choose Profile & System, then go to Settings, then System, then Console info.
- From here, you can click on Reset console.
- You can choose to Reset and remove everything or Reset and keep my games & apps.
- After selecting your console will start the process of restoring to the default settings.
Note: Performing a system reset can take some time, so do not unplug or turn off your Xbox One. Wait for the process to finish and test out if the fan start working.
Fixing your Xbox One fan not working is as easy as cleaning up the inside of your console using a can of compressed air. It should remove the dust from the vents, radiator fins, and the fan blades. If cleaning does not work, you can also try resetting the internal power supply.
If you continue to experience your Xbox One fan not working after performing all these troubleshooting steps, it may be time to get professional support.
It’s now possible that you have a hardware issue on your hands with a faulty fan.
At this point, you will need to contact Microsoft technical support and request a repair to get your fan working again so you can play your favorite games.
- Blink Live View Not Supported? – Complete Fix Guide - December 3, 2022
- Chefman Electric Kettle Won’t Turn On? – Fix Guide - December 3, 2022
- How to Fix Nanit Night Vision Not Working? – Complete Fix! - December 3, 2022