If your Vivint camera not recording events, there’s a solution for you!
Your Vivint camera will record events whenever it detects motion or during specific times of the day as per the settings configuration.
However, the problem can be observed with the camera’s settings, connectivity, or even the power supply.
To fix whenever your Vivint camera doesn’t record events, power cycle the device and reconnect it with the WiFi. Fix any internet issues and increase the motion sensitivity. Finally, perform a factory reset on the Vivint camera to see if that will help.
Let’s now lookup the causes that impacted your Vivint camera’s ability to record.
Why Is The Vivint Doorbell Camera Not Recording Events?
Before we troubleshoot it’s recommended to figure out what is the root cause of your Vivint camera’s problem.
Here’s what preventing your Vivint camera from recording:
1. The Camera Is Shutting Down
If your camera keeps shutting down due to power issues, it will not record any of the events happening.
2. No Internet Connection
Vivint requires an active internet connection to make the recording and therefore upload it for viewing.
3. Incorrect Camera Settings
You may have disabled the ability of your camera to record events, from the settings of the panel.
4. Panel Problem
There’s a control panel that can adjust all Vivint cameras connected, including the settings of the unit you have issues with.
5. Camera Failure
A hardware malfunction with the camera is also not excluded.
In an overview, this was everything you should know about the problems with the Vivint camera.
To fix the device, check out the solutions we’ve prepared for you.
How To Fix When My Vivint Camera Not Recording Events?
To approach the problem of the Vivint camera device correctly, make sure to follow our solutions in order.
Also, don’t forget to test the functionality of your camera after each of the fixes that you apply.
Here’s how you can solve the problem with the Vivint camera in your setup:
Solution #1 Enable Event Recording
The first and most simple thing you can do to solve the problem is to enable the event recording for the appropriate Vivint doorbell camera.
In case this feature is not enabled, it does not matter what the camera sees, it won’t start recording.
Here’s how to enable the Event recording for the problematic Vivint doorbell camera:
- Go next to the Vivint panel that controls all of your camera units.
- Identify what camera exactly is giving you the problem.
- On the panel, tap the camera icon.
- Choose which camera you’re going to configure.
- You will be sent to the settings of the camera.
- Next, tap on “Enable event recording” and save the changes.
- Follow any on-screen instructions that may occur.
Note: You will also be prompted to enter your PIN, only if you’ve created one.
Solution #2 Reconnect The Camera To WiFi
Your Vivint doorbell camera is dependent on WiFi. If disconnected, even if you’ve enabled the event recording, you will still notice that the camera won’t record any events.
In that regard, you need to reconnect the camera to WiFi and determine if the issue has been caused by an internet failure.
Here’s how to reconnect your wireless Vivint doorbell camera to WiFi in easy steps:
- Startup the Vivint mobile app on your smartphone.
- Tap on the Menu icon to be sent into the configurations.
- Choose Device Settings and select the panel that your Vivint is connected to.
- Next, select your own WiFi network.
- Enter the appropriate WiFi security key for that network.
- Finally, press “Connect” and wait for the panel to get paired.
- Test your camera’s ability to record.
It’s important to mention that connecting the doorbell happens through the panel. Vivint hasn’t made it possible for you to connect the Vivint doorbell camera separately.
Note: Practically, connecting the panel that Vivint is paired to will also connect the doorbell to the WiFi.
Solution #3 Power Cycle The Doorbell Camera
As we’ve mentioned earlier, a power problem with your doorbell camera will prevent it from recording events.
If that’s the issue, what you should do is execute the power cycle on the device.
Here’s how to do a power cycle on the Vivint doorbell camera:
- Take the unit off the wall that you wish to power cycle.
- Disengage the compartment that is covering the batteries.
- Eject the batteries that are powering your doorbell.
- Wait for 5 minutes with the camera without batteries.
- Re-insert all of the power units.
Note: Ensure that you’re inserting the batteries in the correct position after the power cycle.
Solution #4 Increase Motion Detection Sensitivity
Your Vivint camera tends to only start recording whenever a motion detection is caught. Walking out from that, we can conclude that the Vivint doorbell doesn’t detect any motion.
This can be caused by low motion sensitivity, which is a setting that controls how something should move for your camera to detect it.
To increase the motion sensitivity of your Doorbell camera, follow these steps:
- Go to the panel that your doorbell is connected to.
- Access Device settings.
- Head to your camera settings.
- Tap on Detection Settings.
- Adjust the slider as you like along with other features.
Note: Don’t over-increase the motion sensitivity, because your doorbell’s camera will start capturing even the slightest movement.
Solution #5 Reset Your Vivint Doorbell
What you should finally do if nothing solved the problem so far is to reset the camera.
It’s really easy to factory reset the Vivint doorbell and you will be able to do it in a matter of seconds.
Here’s how to exactly trigger a factory reset on the Vivint doorbell:
- Go to the doorbell, physically.
- On touch, try to feel the button on the bottom of the camera.
- Once you feel the reset button, hold it until you hear a voice message.
- Upon your camera saying “Release now to factory reset”, let go of the button.
- Your camera is now reset!
Note: Resetting the doorbell will result in a wipe of all software settings you’ve made to the device, through the panel and app.
Vivint Camera Still Not Recording Events…
In case you’ve attempted everything so far and your camera refuses to capture events, maybe it’s time to check if your warranty is intact.
Another good approach in such cases would be to contact Vivint customer service to check if they can help.
With a little luck, the problem could be found fast and solved even faster!
Thus, to fix a Vivint doorbell’s camera that isn’t capturing any events, power cycle the camera and ensure event recording is enabled. Reboot the panel and reconnect the camera with WiFi. Next, increase the motion sensitivity, and lastly perform a factory reset.
Read Next: Why Does Vivint Thermostat Keeps Changing Temp?
So, you’ve already figured out how to fix the Vivint camera not recording events problem?
Expect nothing less from our guides! We do our best to let the user know the quickest and most efficient way to solve issues with their smart-home products!
If you’re interested in more of our content, check the technical blog, and explore even more solutions for your smart-home inquiries!
- Kwikset Smart Lock Code Change – FoolProof Guide - May 25, 2023
- How to Connect Turntable To Marshall Speaker? - May 25, 2023
- Asko Dishwasher Not Drying? – Complete Fix Guide - May 25, 2023