Wondering why the Shark ION robot won’t connect to phone? Keep reading!
Nowadays, because of their cost-effectiveness and cleaning efficiency, Shark robots are very common in homes.
The mobile app makes it simple to manage the Shark robot but sometimes the connection won’t work.
In this guide, we’re going to learn why and how to solve the issue!
There are several reasons why the Shark vacuum cannot connect to the phone, including Bad Network Connectivity, an Outdated SharkClean Version, or the robot’s Low Battery. The solution revolves around addressing each possibility in a step-by-step guide!
How To Fix Shark ION App Won’t Connect To Robot?
If your Shark robot cannot connect with the app properly, then it leads to other problems such as unscheduled cleaning and unfulfilled tasks.
To solve the issue, we’re going to cover ALL cases where the app will not be able to connect, so let’s jump right in!
Solution #1 Power Cycle Shark ION Robot
One of the best first steps is to power cycle the Shark ION robot.
This will refresh the robot’s connectivity to the mobile application by performing a complete discharge.
It should help!
Here’s how to power cycle the Shark ION Robot:
- Separate the unit from the dock station.
- Turn OFF the robot by pressing the Power button.
- Unplug the docking station.
- Wait for 20 seconds.
- Connect the Shark ION robot to the base station.
- Turn on the device by pressing the Power button again.
When the reboot is over, re-attempt to connect the robot to the app.
In case the connection continues to fail, you’re probably doing something wrong in the setup. Let’s learn more!
Solution #2 Freshly Connect Robot To App!
Since the Shark ION robot has to be connected to the application for the remote control to function, we need to carry out the initial setup.
The connection to the app is rather different than another cleaning robot so let’s take a deep dive into the steps.
Here is how you can connect the Shark ION robot to the mobile app:
- Embed the robot on the Dock Station, and turn it ON.
- Launch the app, and add a New Device by clicking the + symbol.
- Press and hold down the Max and Dock buttons on the top of the robot.
- Release the buttons when you hear a beep sound.
- Select the Shark ION robot in the mobile app.
- Using the app use the SharkClean app to connect the robot to Wi-Fi.
- Give the Shark robot a name and register it.
Judging from the connection method we can easily assume that our smartphone has to be connected to the internet so the robot can be as well.
Therefore when our internet connection drops, the Shark ION Robot won’t be able to connect to the app.
That brings us to the next solution!
Solution #3 Reinstall The SharkClean App!
The next best step is to cleanly reinstall or update the SharkCean app.
The better method is to perform a clean installation since this will guarantee that we’ll acquire the latest firmware!
- The SharkClean application is available on both Google Play and App Store!
Here is how to cleanly reinstall the SharkClean app:
- Uninstall the SharkClean app from your mobile device!
- Go to the Play Store or App Store.
- Search for the SharkClean app, and download the software.
- Launch the app, and follow the steps from Solution #2.
Note: The reinstallation will permanently delete any other connected devices and settings!
Solution #4 Check Internet/Compatibility
The next important factor that comes to mind when the Shark ION robot won’t connect to the app is internet connectivity.
Sometimes even when your device appears to be connected to the WiFi, the internet could still be down.
This is why you need to test surfing online to confirm!
Also, it’s important to understand whether the SharkClean app is supported on your device!
- For the iPhone, your device must have an iOS 12 version or higher! You can perform an update by going into Settings > General > Software Update.
In case you’ve identified an Internet or WiFi issue on your home network, it’s important to deal with this first.
Only when your internet is intact, re-attempt to connect both instances!
Note: Use the steps from Solution #2 to reconnect the Shark ION robot to the app!
Solution #4 Update Shark Robot Firmware!
The devices’ upgrades are necessary for their optimal performance.
If the Shark iON robot won’t connect to phone, even after you’ve reinstalled the app, then update the robot’s firmware.
Usually, when your robot is connected to Wi-Fi all the time, then it automatically updates its firmware as the manufacturer releases it.
However, in case your Shark ION robot has been offline for a long time, it’s time to perform a manual firmware update!
Simply, open the SharkClean app > Settings and check if the update is available.
Then upgrade the robot’s firmware and set the updates settings to Automatic Updates.
This will keep the firmware up to date and prevent connection issues such as the one you’re experiencing.
In case the connection problem persists, proceed further!
Solution #5 Check App Permissions
You’ve probably noticed that after app installation, you’re always greeted with several prompts asking you to enable this and that.
Well, with the SharkClean app, enabling some of the pop-ups is necessary.
Even if you have declined them upon downloading the app, you can enable them!
- The most important permissions are for the Internet/WiFi, Bluetooth, and Location.
Here’s how to check and enable app permissions on iOS:
- For the iPhone, go to your mobile Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Then look for an app privacy report.
- Find and select the SharkClean App.
- Allow all the permissions.
Here’s how to check and enable app permissions on Android:
- For Android, go to Settings > Apps.
- From there select the SharkClean app.
- Toggle ON all permissions!
Solution#7 Charge Robot To Full
Sometimes a low vacuum battery also causes problems because it has insufficient power to operate with other devices.
Perhaps that’s what has been preventing you from establishing the connection to the SharkClean app.
It’s worth the try before drawing conclusions!
Here are some things to keep in mind to charge the robot:
- Embed the robot at the dock station for charging.
- Ensure that there is an obstruction between contact points!
- Wait for 2 hours until the battery charge is full.
- Disconnect the robot from the dock station.
- Turn on the Shark ION robot.
- Use Solution #2 to reconnect the device to the app.
Now with the full battery, test whether you’ll be able to connect the robot to the SharkClean app!
Note: The charging might take less time, based on the initial battery level.
Solution#8 Factory Reset Vacuum
The final and most powerful solution is to perform a Factory Reset on the Shark ION robot.
The factory reset erases everything including any past connections, and in-app settings, and reverts the software of your robot to default.
This will provide us with a fresh start.
Here is how you can reset the Shark ION robot:
- Open the SharkClean app.
- Go to Settings and look for the Factory Reset option.
- The robot will automatically reset.
- It takes about 3 minutes for the reset to conclude.
- When you’re ready use Solution #2 to reconnect to the robot.
Tip: Double-check whether your WiFi connection is intact.
Shark ION Robot Still Not Connecting To Phone?
In case you’ve attempted everything in the guide above but nothing managed to help, we need to make one last check on our side.
Inspect your Internet/WiFi, and check whether the SharkClean app is up to date and if the robot is fully charged.
If nothing worked, then contact Shark Customer Support for help.
They further assist you with whether your robot needs any repair, or they will guide you on how to claim the warranty to replace the robot.
With a bit of luck, the issue will be gone in no time!
Tip: Don’t forget to share what you’ve attempted in this guide!
Whenever your SharkClean app cannot connect to the Shark vacuum, then check your internet/WiFi and reboot the robot as well as the base station. In case that doesn’t help, perform a clean reinstallation on the app and, if necessary, factory reset the robot.
Now that we’ve learned why the Shark iON robot won’t connect to phone, we only need to attempt the solutions in this guide to solve the problem.
We hope that this guide was helpful and to discover more relevant content, check our tech blog!
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023