Whenever Sceptre TV turns on but black screen, it can be hard to know if it’s due to incorrect settings or hardware damage.
Even though these causes sound intimidating, don’t worry; we will guide you through all the fixes in easy-to-follow steps!
Whenever your Sceptre TV turns on, but the screen stays black, check the input sources first. Next, check the brightness levels, and factory reset your TV.
Let’s get right into fixing your Sceptre black screen issue!
Why does Sceptre TV Have a Black Screen?
Before we go off with troubleshooting, it’s essential to understand the most common causes of a black screen on your TV.
The exact troubleshooting steps may vary depending on whether you see nothing or the interface still appears on your TV.
A hardware issue is likely if you see no indicators or menu interface.
Here is a list of the top causes:
- Incorrect Input Source.
- Cable or Connection Issues.
- Software Glitch.
- Backlight Failure.
- Faulty Internal Transistors.
- Bad External Devices.
Now that you know the main culprits of this issue, let’s try some troubleshooting.
How to Fix Sceptre TV turns on but black screen?
Tip: Ensure your power socket is not overloaded with other devices, as this can cause insufficient power to your TV.
1. Check Input Source
The quickest and easiest fix for a TV black screen is to switch to the correct input source.
This step applies if your screen stays black, but the menu is still displayed.
If your TV is defaulting to an empty input, it simply won’t display any picture.
Here are the exact steps to check your Sceptre TV inputs:
- Take your Sceptre TV remote and press the Source or Input button.
- Hover over any input via the arrow buttons.
- Press the OK remote button to select the highlighted source.
- Go through the list of available inputs to see if they show any output on your TV.
Note: Check if your external devices, consoles, and sound systems connected to your Sceptre TV are in working order.
If, for example, your DVD player is malfunctioning, you will receive a black screen when selecting it as an input source.
2. Power Cycle the Sceptre TV
The most common yet neglected fix to a black screen is clear your Sceptre TV of static buildup.
If there is a static electricity charge built up around your display, it might malfunction.
The solution to this is to power cycle your TV and let any static energy discharge.
Here is the proper way on how to power cycle your Sceptre TV:
- Turn off the Sceptre TV.
- Unplug it from the wall or power socket.
- Press and hold the power button on the TV for 30 seconds.
- Plug the Sceptre TV power cord back in.
- Turn the Sceptre TV on.
Note: Avoid placing your TV in a highly humid environment, as this might cause a short circuit when moisture builds up in the internal components.
3. Check All Connections
If any of your cables are faulty, even if you select the correct input source, you will only get a black screen.
To prevent this issue, you must visually inspect all cables connecting to your Sceptre TV.
Remember, if your cable has excessive tear or creasing, it might prevent it from sending data to your Sceptre TV.
Here are some general steps to verify all connections are in working order:
- Power off your Sceptre TV.
- Visually inspect all connected Cables.
- Check if the HDMI cables are firmly pressed into the ports.
- Clean your HDMI ports and cables with a soft cloth to ensure proper conductivity.
Remember that if your input device is not supported due to being a legacy model, it might not register on the Sceptre TV correctly as an input source.
Note: If the steps above don't help, try swapping your HDMI cable for a different one to ensure the issue is not because of a faulty one.
4. Check Brightness and Backlight
Sometimes, the TV display functions as intended, but it’s just that its brightness setting is tuned too low for you to see anything.
To prevent this issue, manually check if the settings are appropriate.
Here is how to ensure your brightness is set correctly:
- Turn on your Sceptre TV.
- Press the Menu button on your Sceptre TV remote.
- Navigate to the “Picture” option using the arrow keys and press Enter or OK.
- Highlight the Brightness option.
- Use the left or right arrow keys to increase the brightness.
- Press OK or Enter to apply the setting.
- Exit the Menu by pressing the Exit or Back button to return to normal viewing.
Note: You can still attempt the steps above if your display is black. If the brightness is set to zero, you might increase it without seeing which option is chosen.
5. Perform a Factory Reset
In case your Sceptre TV turns on with sound but black screen, a clever workaround is to factory reset your Sceptre TV.
This will return any settings of your TV to how they came when you first bought it.
This will automatically set the brightness to a visible level and clear other potential software errors.
Here is how to factory reset your Sceptre TV:
- Ensure your TV is powered on.
- Access the Menu via the buttons on your Sceptre TV remote.
- Use the arrow keys on your remote and navigate to Setup or alternatively listed as Settings.
- Within this menu, find and select the Reset or Factory Reset option.
- Once highlighted, you will be prompted to confirm the process.
- Use the arrow keys to select Yes or OK.
- Wait until your TV finishes the process.
After your Sceptre TV finishes updating, you will need to customize its settings again and log in to any apps that got removed.
Note that the steps above might vary depending on your TV model, so check the manual if you are having trouble.
Note: A hard reset will erase any stored data on your TV, returning all settings to their default. Ensure you note down the necessary login credentials.
6. Check for Power Board Damage
Whenever your Sceptre TV light turns on but the screen is black, it might be due to a more serious hardware issue.
You can attempt to spot any giveaways of defective hardware components on your own. Before you attempt this step, check with your manufacturer if it will void your warranty.
If you suspect hardware damage and don’t want to tamper with your TV, taking it to a licensed repair shop is worthwhile.
With these disclaimers noted, here is how to check your Sceptre power board for damage.
- Unplug the TV from any power source and wait one minute.
- The capacitors might still hold residual electric charge even if a TV is powered off.
- Place your TV carefully on its display.
- Gently remove the back panel by unscrewing any screws and storing them safely.
- Look for a power board near your power cord entry on the Sceptre TV.
- Check for signs of burnt plastic or blown capacitors – a faulty capacitor might have an irregular shape or color.
- If you notice an acidic or burnt smell, it indicates damage.
- Check all the connectors for loose wires.
- Reassemble your TV and power it on.
If you spot hardware damage and your device is still under warranty, call Sceptre support to get further help.
Note: Always handle delicate electronic components carefully and with the proper safety gear.
Whenever the Sceptre TV turns on but black screen, start by cycling through the different input sources to see if any produce a picture.
Next, check if the brightness level is tuned too low and ensure all your cables are in working order.
Lastly, you can attempt a hard reset on your Scepter TV.
- Vicks Humidifier Not Steaming? – (Here’s How to Fix!) - October 20, 2023
- Kindle Paperwhite Not Waking Up? – (Try These Solutions) - October 20, 2023
- Why Is My Hisense TV Blinking Red Light? – (Instant Fix) - October 20, 2023