The first thing to do when the RCA TV audio output not working is to check the volume.
Using the remote, attempt to increase the volume levels and check if your TV is muted by pressing the mute button once. In case that’s not the issue let’s see what the solution includes.
Whenever the RCA TV audio is not there, start by checking if the TV inbuilt speakers are selected to be the default sound device. You should also optimize the stereo sound settings by reaching in the Audio Options.
Let’s next take a look at the different types of RCA TV audio output and identify which one you’re using and how to fix the problem.
Before we begin with any of the solutions, let’s first describe the options you’ve got in regard to audio output.
That would help you understand which way you’re using, hence navigating through the upcoming solutions will be easier for you.
1. RCA TV Inbuilt Speakers
The in-built speakers of your TV that you need to turn ON and test with to confirm that there is audio in the first place.
2. Optical Audio Output
In such a case you would have to convert the signal from digital to analog so you can have RCA output and connect your sound device. More about this later.
The popular two-sided 3.5mm jack is the easiest way to connect audio devices to your RCA TV.
Note: Even if you have a commercial RCA TV, we’ll help you bring back the audio output and connect a device depending on the type of connection you’re working with.
This set of solutions will be related to resolving problems with missing audio, and we’re going to attempt to utilize the in-built TV speakers.
Note: In case you have issues with Optical Audio Output or with the audio of Commercial RCA TV, jump down to the aligning section.
Weirdly enough, on RCA TVs there is an option to enable/disable the audio which in your case might be toggled OFF.
This is why the very first step towards identifying the problem would be to access the Settings and make sure to toggle ON the Sound.
Here is how to enable the audio on your RCA TV:
- Point your remote towards the TV and press the Menu button.
- In the Menu settings, toggle over to the Audio Settings.
- Scroll down and highlight Speaker.
- Hit the right or left arrow until ON is the selected position.
- In case the feature is already ON, using the arrows, toggle OFF/ON.
- Restart your TV using the remote power button.
Tip: When you turn your TV back on, attempt to increase the volume first, and then test.
While you were at the Audio Settings of your RCA TV, you might have noticed an option labeled Audio Out. In case you’re not familiar with what it does, here is a brief description:
The audio out controls whether the volume can be increased or the stream would be fixed:
- FIXED – The audio output would be at FIXED audio levels, and not be changed.
- VARIABLE – Allows volume adjustment via the remote control.
Simply reach the Audio Settings, following solution #1, and make sure to select VARIABLE in regard to the Audio Mode.
Once you’re ready, restart your TV and attempt to increase the volume using the remote. If there are no audio devices connected, you should be hearing audio.
Note: The Audio Mode applies to whatever output you’re using so in ALL cases you should select VARIABLE and save the change.
In case the audio output on your RCA TV is still not there, the next step is to perform a power cycle or also known as a “hard reset”.
This method will discharge your TV and restart ALL services, which in most cases turns out to be helpful.
Here is how to power cycle/hard reset your RCA TV:
- Turn OFF your TV using the remote.
- Unplug the power adapter from the outlet.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Connect your TV to the power.
- Turn ON your TV.
- Increase the volume and test.
In case you’re still not able to hear audio out from your RCA TV, proceed with the next solution to completely reset your TV back to factory settings.
If the RCA TV audio output is not working even after attempting all of the previous solutions, then you should factory reset your RCA TV to resolve the problem.
Keep in mind that this will reinstall the OS and revert ALL settings to their default state.
Here is how to factory reset your RCA TV:
- Locate the Menu button on the top side of your TV.
- Hold the button for about 15 seconds.
- On the on-screen prompt insert the time, date, and location.
- Complete the prompts to reset your RCA TV to factory settings.
Note: As an indication of a completed system reset, your TV would restart.
In case you’re using a Digital to Analog audio converter to have AUX or RCA audio output and it’s not working, here is how to connect it properly:
- The optical cable should be connected to the optical OUT of your TV.
- The other side of the optical cable should be connected to the IN of your converter.
- Hook up an audio device via AUX or RCA audio cables.
- With RCA cables the white goes into the white port and the red goes into the red port.
- Increase the volume of your TV.
- Play something with audio.
Note: Even if you don’t have RCA outputs on your converter you can purchase a 3.5mm AUX to RCA cable.
In case the audio is not there, scroll up and apply solution #1 and solution #2 from the guide.
You should also attempt to:
- Restart your end audio device.
- Replace RCA cable.
- Attempt using AUX OUT
- Reconnect ALL cables
In case you’re using a commercial RCA TV unit to entertain your guests but the audio suddenly disappears, you should be aware of the Volume Limiter.
In case something within there has been changed your TV volume might be lowered down to a point where it’s completely gone.
Here is how to set the Volume Limiter on RCA Commercial TV:
- Press the Menu button on the remote.
- Scroll down and select the Set-Up option.
- Choose Preferences.
- Under the bar “Maximum Volume” increase the limit.
Note: The limit will tell how loud your TV can get which can cause the audio to be completely missing in case it’s lowered down a lot.
In case that does not solve the problem, you should perform a factory reset following solution #4 which in most cases helps with audio problems.
Thus, to resolve not working RCA TV audio output, make sure to enable the sound through the settings and set the Audio Mode to “Variable”. Next, you should hard reset your TV, reconnect ALL cables and if nothing works, perform a factory reset.
Read Next: How To Turn on RCA TV Without Remote?
Now that you’re aware of why RCA TV audio output not working and what could be causing it, following our guide the problem should be gone in a matter of minutes.
However, in case you’re where you’ve started, the next step would be to contact RCA customer service for more help.
- How to Use Sengled Bulb Without Hub? – Complete Guide - September 26, 2022
- How to Fix Crunchyroll Offline Viewing Not Working? - September 26, 2022
- Graco Swing Not Working When Plugged In? – Complete Fix Guide - September 26, 2022