Is your Nanit camera not working? We understand the importance of keeping everything in order when you have a Nanit to monitor your child while they sleep.
If your camera is not working, the whole system falls apart. So, what can you do to get the camera back to working correctly?
Standard solutions include checking both the Bluetooth and network connections, checking if the app is updated, and resetting the system.
In the following paragraphs, we will help you identify the problem and provide you with a solution.
Why Is The Nanit Camera Not Working?
With tech gadgets, plenty of reasons might make them stop working. That is not different when we talk about the Nanit camera.
Both the issues we will discuss and the solutions depend on the model of Nanit you have.
So, pay attention to “Nanit Pro,” “Nanit Original,” and “Nanit Plus.
“Nanit camera not working” might mean many things and have many reasons behind it.
So let’s figure it out:
- Network settings – Some disconnections or malfunctioning happen because of wrong network settings
- Bluetooth – If Bluetooth profiles are not compatible between devices, you will have a hard time connecting them.
- Software – Outdated software will usually present malfunctioning.
- Camera not turning on/red lights – This is most likely caused by some power issues in your camera.
Nanit Camera Not Working – How To Fix It
If your Nanit camera stopped working, there are many ways to solve it, and we are just about to delve into them.
Each solution works for a different issue. However, suppose you cannot tell what the issue is after reading the sections above.
In that case, you can try all solutions until your camera works again.
Solution #1: Check Your Bandwidth Frequency
As already explained, the difference between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz will impact to quality of transmission from your camera.
According to the Nanit site, the Original Nanit camera will work better with a 2.4Ghz network.
On the other hand, Nanit Plus and Nanit Pro take advantage of the 5Ghz connection.
Usually, modern routers have both options as split networks. You can see them on your computer when you click the WiFi icon on the taskbar.
Suppose your Nanit model needs a 5Ghz connection, but you can’t seem to find it when setting Nanit network configurations.
In that case, that is because your router is out of reach.
5Ghz signal can’t reach as far as 2.4Ghz. In that case, you will need to position both devices closer.
If your router does not support 5GHz, it is time to buy a new one. If it is a router provided by your ISP, get in touch with them.
Sometimes they do not update our devices without us asking.
Once your Nanit recognizes the 5Ghz connection, all you have to do is connect to it.
Solution #2: Check Network Settings
Similarly to the solution above, this one tackles your network settings. However, this time we will look at the bandwidth adjustments on the Nanit app.
Nanit support recommends this solution if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Often disconnections
- High data usage/buffering
If these problems align with what you observe, then do this procedure:
- Open the Nanit app
- Choose the side menu
- Click on baby’s settings
- Click Network
- Move bandwidth usage to Low
While it will reduce picture quality, this should allow for streaming to normalize.
If the issue you were trying to solve was to improve the video quality, you have to set bandwidth usage to Best.
Solution #3: Check Bluetooth
If the problem with your Nanit camera is that it won’t pair via Bluetooth with your device, you need to check the following:
- Is your Nanit camera already connected to another device?
- Does your device support a connection with Bluetooth Low Energy?
The easiest to solve is the second. Swap the device with another phone or a computer when trying to connect to a phone that doesn’t support BLE.
Most laptops won’t have any trouble connecting to Nanit.
There are two alternatives if you find out that your Nanit is connected to a different device.
- First: if you bought the Nanit secondhand, your seller didn’t remove themselves from the system. Get in touch with them and have them contact Nanit to solve it.
- Second: another parent has already paired the Nanit system to one of their devices.
If it is the second option, you can use the other parent’s device to monitor your baby.
Solution #4: Resetting The Connection
Sometimes the issue involves the connection getting lost or stuck along the way.
That might be caused by your network not working properly or your outdated software.
The first thing you should do is the following:
- Turn off the power on your router
- Wait for a few minutes
- Turn its power back on.
Lots of issues are sometimes fixed by doing just that.
Solution #5: Reinstall Your App
If none of the above did the trick, try uninstalling the app on your phone and installing it again.
Sometimes there are some errors in the files, or your app fails to download the latest update.
- Find the app on your phone
- Hold your finger on it
- Click “Uninstall”
- Go to the App Store
- Find the app and download it again
Solution #6: Power Cycle The Camera
You might need to perform a power cycle if nothing has worked this far. Nanit’s support members recommend this on forums.
The steps are as follows:
- Remove the Nanit camera from the stand
- Unplug it from the wall
- Do solution #5 while your Nanit camera is off
- Reset your router
- After 5 minutes, plug the camera back into the wall
- Reattach it to the stand
If this does not work, skip to Solution #8.
Solution #7: Reset Your Camera
Perhaps your camera is turning on, but none of the solutions above worked. In that case, resetting your camera is the last resort.
Resetting the camera will erase all credentials, and you must set everything up again.
First, your camera must be on (whatever the model).
The Nanit Pro Camera is very easy to reset:
- Press the recessed button on its back for 10s
- A blue light will indicate that the camera was reset
Resetting the Nanit Plus and Nanit Original cameras is a bit more tricky:
- Get a paper clip or any other object that fits in a pinhole
- Find the recessed master button’s pinhole on the back of the camera
- A single press is enough
- After a few seconds, you will see the RED IR flash and hear a low click sound
- Wait for the Night Light to flash two times (it can take up to 3 minutes)
Once your camera is successfully reset, try doing everything you did the first time you bought it:
- Open the side menu in the app
- Click baby’s settings
- Tap Network
- Keep clicking the instructions on the screen until the network is paired
Solution #8: Get In Touch With Nanit
We feel very sorry if absolutely none of the seven solutions above worked for you. In that case, all left is to get in touch with Nanit.
You can describe whatever is going on, and they will reach out to you.
If your Nanit camera is defective and still under warranty, you should receive a new one.
Is your Nanit camera not working? To make your Nanit camera work properly, you must check bandwidth settings and ensure you use the correct frequency for the model.
Further, adjust Bluetooth settings and update your app.
If none of that works, power cycling and/or resetting your camera will be the most likely solution.
The last thing you can do is reach Nanit support.
- Why Won’t My Bush TV Connect To WiFi? (Quick Fix Guide) - September 25, 2023
- Bush TV Not Turning On? – (Fix In Minutes!) - September 25, 2023
- Bush TV Sound But No Picture? – Here’s How to Fix! - September 21, 2023