When the message “myQ there was an error connecting to the server” appears, you know that something is wrong.
This error message could mean two things:
- The myQ application is not connected to the internet.
- Your myQ setup cannot connect to the server.
When myQ can’t connect to the server, users need to make sure that the myQ host device is connected to a working WiFi connection. The troubleshooting includes adjusting the app permissions, updating the firmware, and cleanly reinstalling the app.
Let’s jump straight to the solutions and fix the problem in a matter of minutes!
In order to solve the problem and also discover the cause, you’ll need to undertake a few solutions in chronological order.
We’ll start from the simplest approaches and move towards more complex solutions only if necessary.
Let’s start with reconnecting your myQ host device to the internet:
Solution #1 Connect Your Device To The Internet
One of the reasons for myQ to show this error is that your device isn’t connected to the internet.
The connectivity between myQ and its connection servers relies on your device’s WiFi or mobile data service.
Here’s how to reconnect your mobile device to the internet in easy steps:
- Open the Settings of your mobile device.
- Go to “WiFi”.
- Wait for the device to scan for available networks in your range.
- Press on your household’s WiFi.
- Insert the WiFi key.
- Hit the “Connect” button to start connecting your device.
- Check if the error in myQ would disappear now.
Note: Test your WiFi and make sure that the network is working before proceeding further.
This persistent error that appears when you open up the myQ app, can be related to an outdated application version.
Whenever the myQ platform is outdated on your mobile device, the app version’s validation may be denied, therefore not allowing you to connect.
Here’s how to update the myQ application on your device, in easy steps:
- Open the App Store/Google Play on your device.
- Go to “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Locate the myQ application from the list.
- Press the “Settings” button.
- Once in the details list, choose “Update”.
- Wait for the update’s validation process to be verified.
Note: The update might take up to 5 minutes, based on your network speed.
On your mobile device, there are certain connectivity permissions that each application uses.
myQ also falls under that line and when the connection permissions are not set to “Allowed”, the application will refuse to connect and will display that error.
Here’s how to adjust the permissions for the myQ application on your mobile device:
- On your device, open Settings.
- Go to “Apps”.
- Enter the “Permissions” tab, somewhere on the same page.
- Now, you will be redirected to a screen of all installed applications.
- Search for the myQ application from the list.
- Once found, press on the application once to open the permissions config.
- Make sure that all permissions of the application are set to “Allowed”.
- Once done configuring, exit the settings and test the myQ app.
Note: You can adjust some of the permissions (location, camera, microphone), to “Allow only while using the app”.
myQ is also well-known to display an error in a similar fashion, whenever you’re inserting incorrect credentials into the login screen.
In that solution, we will require you to verify that both your myQ username and password of yours, are written the correct way.
Here are some login factors you should mind when writing your username and password:
- Accidental spaces in the username or the password
- Lowercase/uppercase letters
- Incorrect numbers or other symbols
The myQ application is sensitive to all those kinds of factors and if you let any mistakes slip when writing your credentials, you will get this error.
Tip: If you can’t get your username or password right, use the “Forgot my username/password” button to get a recovery.
The next thing you should attempt when “myQ there was an error connecting to the server” message appears is to update the software of your mobile device.
You need to make sure that your myQ host device is up to date.
Follow these instructions to update the software of your phone in easy steps:
- Open the Settings of your device.
- Go to “General”.
- Scroll down and search for the “Software Update” tab.
- Press on the tab to access the software update screen.
- Click “Check for Updates” and wait for your device to search for updates.
- Once updates are found, hit the “Update” button to start the software upgrade.
Note: Your device may restart multiple times while the update is ongoing.
Many users experiencing this problem found out that the issue is related to their myQ account.
If that’s the case, you should test logging in to myQ using a different account.
If you don’t have an account, you can easily register one by pressing the “Sign Up Now” button on the login screen.
Follow the prompts that will come next to create your account.
To make your account active, you must confirm the registration by verification mail.
Tip: The confirmation letter will be sent to the email that you used for the new myQ registration. Tap on the link to confirm the account.
In case nothing worked so far, you should reinstall the myQ application to solve the problem “Error Connecting” message.
This error may be occurring due to corrupted data and by reinstalling the app, you will be able to solve the problem.
Here’s how to reinstall the myQ application in easy steps:
- Open the storage of your mobile device.
- Go to “Apps”.
- Locate the myQ application from the list with all applications.
- Once found the myQ platform, hit the “Uninstall” button.
- Next, open the App Store or Google Play on your device.
- Use the search field to locate the myQ platform again.
- Hit the “Download” button to start downloading and installing the app again.
- Use your regular account to sign into myQ.
- Check if the issue is now fixed.
Tip: When turning on the app for the first time, make sure to enable the Automatic Updates.
In case your myQ was recently connected and this is the first time you’re receiving the “Error Connection” message, you should wait out a couple of hours.
If you’re not in urgent need to use the application, then you shouldn’t have issues waiting on this problem to be fixed.
MyQ may be having ongoing maintenance of the servers and that’s the reason your application is not able to make the connection.
You can contact myQ customer service to ask whether the servers are down and eventually ask for help to solve the problem.
Make sure to describe everything that you’ve tried in this post to save time performing the same methods again.
Note: You can contact myQ support on their customer service page.
Thus, when the “there was an error connecting to the server” message appears on myQ, users need to check their WiFi and reconnect their host device. The next step is to perform an update on the myQ app and if secret, perform a clean installation.
Now that we know why “myQ there was an error connecting to the server” message appears, the solutions should be the easy part.
In case you’ve missed any of the steps above, make sure to scroll up and make sure to attempt everything.
We hope that this post was helpful and to find more related posts, check our online blog!
- Kidde Smoke Detector Blinking Red? (Don’t Panic, Fix Now!) - February 9, 2024
- SimpliSafe Doorbell Yellow Light? (Surefire Fixes!) - February 9, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Not Responding? (Fix Now!) - February 9, 2024