If you don’t know how to use Arlo camera without base station then this guide is for you!
The only thing that matters is whether your Arlo model can be used without a base station so you would need to identify that first.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to identify your Arlo camera model, whether it can be used standalone and how to connect it to the WiFi.
To use an Arlo camera without a base station, begin with installing the mobile application on your smartphone. The next step would be to add your Arlo camera device to the app. The last step is to connect your Arlo camera device to a working 2.4Ghz broadband WiFi.
Now when the essential method is revealed, there are some important factors that you should be aware of.
Proceed with the next part of the guide, before you attempt to set up the camera.
Arlo has designed certain camera models that can be connected with WiFi without using a base station.
These cameras will be directly paired with the network and won’t require some device to stand in-between and create the connection for them.
Unfortunately, there are Arlo camera models that do require a base station and if you’ve got one of them, the process won’t work.
In that regard let’s first identify whether your Arlo camera model can connect on its own and if yes, proceed with getting it hooked up.
Among all cameras Arlo offers, some may require a base station and others do not.
Let’s now get familiar with all Arlo cameras that DO NOT require a hub or base station to connect with the WiFi.
Here are the cameras that can connect directly to the WiFi without a base station:
- Arlo Q Camera
- Arlo Q Plus Camera
- Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Camera
- Arlo Pro 4 Spotlight Camera
- Arlo AVD2001-100NAS Essential Video Doorbell
- Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera
- Arlo Essential XL Spotlight Camera
Note: Even if your camera can directly connect, it can still benefit from the smart hub or a base station.
If you happen not to know what exactly Arlo camera you have, there are plenty of ways to find that out.
If we exclude that on most camera models the type is written on their side panel, you can tell what type of Arlo camera you have by looking at the delivery box.
The box you’ve taken the camera out of has all parameters and information, including the brand and model type.
Identify the model of your camera and if it’s possible to be connected without a base station, proceed with the guide below.
Now when you’re confident that your camera is one of the models that does not require a base station to function, it’s time to set it up.
The steps are easy to follow with a 100% success rate, only if followed in order.
With that being said, here is how to connect an Arlo camera without a base station:
To get Arlo connected to the internet directly, the device must be prepared and turned on beforehand.
In that set of thoughts, you must ensure that the Arlo camera is functional and has batteries inserted.
If you’re just taking your Arlo camera out of the package, you may have to insert the supplied battery units to be able to turn on the camera.
After having the batteries inserted, place the camera close to the network router and proceed to our next step.
As you’ve already figured, you won’t be using a base station but you will need the Arlo application to get your camera unit connected to the internet.
In that regard, during this step, we will guide you through acquiring the Arlo home app and signing up if necessary.
Here’s how to download and install the Arlo home app in easy steps:
- On your smartphone, access the Google Play/App Store.
- In the search field, write “Arlo”.
- Wait for the results to appear.
- Press the first Arlo app result.
- Press the “Download” button to start installing the Arlo home app.
- Once installed the application, open it on your smartphone.
- If you already have an account, write your credentials and tap on “Sign In”.
- If you’re not registered, tap on “Sign Up” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Tip: Upon accessing the Arlo app for the first time, enable the automatic updates.
Now that we’ve got the essentials out of the way, it’s time to start connecting your camera.
In the Arlo application, you will be able to add all of your Arlo home security devices and configure their settings, options, and capabilities.
Before that, you must add the camera to the Arlo application. That will require choosing the camera type of your Arlo camera unit.
To add the Arlo camera to the app, follow these instructions:
- Open the Arlo app on your smartphone.
- Go to “My Devices” and from there, search for the little “+” icon on the top.
- Hit the plus icon and wait for the available Arlo devices to appear upon you.
- Tap on cameras.
- Based on the type of your camera, select the appropriate device to add.
- Wait for your profile to be created.
This is how to use Arlo camera without base station and if you’re curious about how to hook it up to WiFi to use its full potential, proceed with the last step.
Note: After adding the camera and getting your profile created, you will be able to change settings for the entire security system.
In this final step, you’ll be connecting Arlo to the internet. Before you start, ensure that your network router is up and running and that your 2.4Ghz WiFi is fully functional.
If you experience any internet troubles, don’t hesitate to call your ISP for assistance.
Here’s how to connect Arlo to the internet:
- Back in the Arlo app, create a password for the profile that you’ve created.
- Follow the on-screen instructions all the way to the WiFi prompt.
- Next, choose “Connect Arlo camera without a base station”.
- In the internet connection screen within the Arlo app, wait for the checker to finish.
- Tap on your 2.4Ghz WiFi.
- Insert the WiFi security key of the camera.
- Wait for Arlo to get connected.
Note: Arlo may take a few minutes to connect with the network, be patient.
Thus, to use an Arlo camera without a base station you would first need to identify if your model does support a standalone connection. If yes, then download the mobile Arlo app, insert your device and connect it to the WiFi.
Now when you know how to use Arlo camera without base station, you’re aware that there is nothing that can prevent you, besides unsupported models.
In case you’ve filed the first time, do not hesitate to re-attempt the steps from the beginning.
If you find this post helpful, make sure to check our online blog for additional guides and solutions posts!
- How To Turn Off Super Alexa Mode? – Complete Steps - August 4, 2022
- How To Use Arlo Camera Without Base Station? Ultimate Guide! - August 4, 2022
- How To Change Frequency On Chamberlain Garage Door Opener? - August 2, 2022