Wondering how to control Bose Soundbar with TV remote? It’s actually really simple!
One of the amazing features of Bose Soundbar is that it can be controlled with any smart TV remote, regardless of the brand.
In this guide, you will get to know all about the steps to control your Soundbar with multiple TV remotes.
Let’s learn more!
To control your Bose Soundbar via TV remote, you need to enable the HDMI-CEC settings for the device to control the Soundbar.
You need to pair the remote to the Soundbar to be able to mute, change volume, and power control your Bose Soundbar!
Let’s explore further to learn about the Bose Soundbar control with different remotes!
Can Any Remote Work On A Bose Soundbar?
Soundbars can only be controlled with remotes that send IR (infrared) signals, not RF (radio frequency) signals.
This is the technology that universal IR remotes use to allow you to control a number of smart home devices with just one remote.
- Universal remotes can be used easily to control Bose Soundbar!
However, you can set up your TV remote to Soundbar if your Bose system is connected via HDMI cable.
The CEC (Consumer Electric Control) feature of HDMI in the Soundbar will allow you to control your Bose Soundbar functionality.
Note: Not absolutely every TV remote will be able to control Bose Soundbar!
How To Control Bose Soundbar With TV Remote?
We’re first going to review a method that will allow you to control your Bose Soundbar with almost any IR Remote.
In case your remote works with RF (radio frequency) you will not be able to pair the remote, nor control the Bose Soundbar.
Alert: Ensure that the Bose Soundbar firmware is up to date!
Step #1 Power On the Bose Soundbar
Switch on your Bose Soundbar and make sure that it is connected to a reliable power source.
In addition, it’s also important to check whether the HDMI cable is connected properly to the output device.
Inspect ALL cable connections and make sure that everything is intact.
Step #2 Setup HDMI-CEC
In order to control the Bose Soundbar with any TV remote, you need the HDMI-CEC feature enabled.
We’re going to set up the option through the Settings of the Bose Music App.
Here is how to set up HDMI-CEC settings for the TV remote:
- Open Bose Music mobile app.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Locate the Power section from settings.
- Click the Advanced CEC option.
- Select Option 4 or Option 5.
- Exit from the Settings.
Now when the HDMI-CEC option is enabled let’s pair your remote to the Bose Soundbar!
Step #3 Program TV Remote To Bose Soundbar
After enabling CEC permission for Soundbar, now it’s time to program your Universal TV remote to Bose Soundbar.
Again, make sure that your TV remote operates with IR and not RF signals!
Note: Make sure your mobile and Soundbar are connected to the same WiFi.
Here is how to program the TV remote to Bose Soundbar:
- Open Bose Music app.
- Go to Settings of your Soundbar.
- Select Advanced under the Universal Remote Section.
- Remove the previous programmed remote.
- Press and hold the Volume Down (-) and Left Navigation (<) buttons.
- Keep holding them simultaneously for 5 seconds.
- Tap on Pair New Remote from the app.
- Reinsert one of the remote batteries.
- Press Volume Up (+) button from the remote.
- Tap Done, to complete the pairing.
Your universal TV remote should now be paired to your Bose Soundbar!
Note: In case “Pair New Remote” does not appear in the app, retry the steps!
Step #4 Teach Soundbar Remote Commands!
After pairing the remote with the Soundbar, now you have to teach the Bose Soundbar to take the commands from the Universal TV remote.
It’s fairly simple so follow the steps below!
- Use the old Soundbar remote and press and hold the TV button.
- Wait until the Bose Soundbar blinks and glows white.
- Press the Volume Up button from the old remote.
- Take the newly paired TV remote and press and hold the Volume Up button.
- Wait until a sound comes from the Bose Soundbar.
Shortly after, a white light will glow on the TV button on the Soundbar, indicating that the device has learned the command.
You might need to repeat the steps for each command that is not working, including Mute, Volume Down, Power ON, and OFF.
Step #5 Test Soundbar Via TV Remote
Upon completing all the above steps, you can test the Soundbar with the TV remote by controlling the volume, or using other functions to ensure the devices are paired properly.
In case you’re using a Samsung or Apple TV remote, follow the guides below!
How To Control Bose Soundbar With Samsung TV Remote?
The Bose Soundbar is one of the amazing devices that can be easily operated via different TV remotes.
In the steps below, we’ve concisely described how to pair a Samsung TV remote to a Bose Soundbar without much trouble.
Let’s learn the correct way of setting up your Samsung TV remote with Bose Soundbar:
- Turn on the TV and Bose Soundbar.
- Hold down the Volume Up button until the red light blinks on the Soundbar.
- Hold the Volume Up again, until you hear a sound from the Soundbar.
- Go to TV Settings and select Sound.
- Choose Sound Output and select your Bose Soundbar device.
Now you can operate your Bose Soundbar via the Samsung TV remote.
How To Control Bose Soundbar With Apple TV Remote?
Having Apple TV and Bose Soundbar and a common remote control is the combo deal for a home theater setup.
If you’re attempting to connect the Apple TV Remote to your Bose Soundbar, this is the correct guide!
Here is a way to set up your Apple TV remote with Bose Soundbar:
- Turn on your Apple TV.
- Go to the TV Settings.
- Select Remotes and Devices.
- Choose Volume Control from the devices list.
- Tap on Learn a New Device.
- Press the Volume Up button from the Apple TV remote.
- When a flashing light bar fills, press the Volume Down button from the remote.
- Give a Name to your remote and tap Done.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button on the Apple TV remote.
- Wait until you see the flashing light on the Bose Soundbar.
When you’re ready, play any sound to test the volume controls on your Bose Soundbar from your Apple TV Remote.
It’s that simple, and for Sony, Remotes, follow the steps below!
How To Control Bose Soundbar With Sony TV Remote?
In case you have a Bose Soundbar setup at your home and want to control it via your Sony TV remote, the setup is fairly easy.
This will allow you to control your home theatre with only one remote, and in the steps below, you’ll find out how this is done!
Let’s learn how to set up the Sony TV remote with Bose Soundbar:
- Enable HDMI-CEC from the Bose Music App.
- Bose Music app > Settings > Power > Advanced CEC Option 4
- Switched OFF the TV and Bose Soundbar.
- Turn ON the TV via a Sony TV remote.
- Turn on the Bose Soundbar via the Soundbar remote.
- Go to the TVs Settings.
- Select Display & Sound.
- Tap on Audio Output.
- Choose Soundbar and set it up by following on-screen instructions.
- Tap Done to finish the setup.
Now you’ll be able to Volume Up/Down, Turn ON/OFF or mute/unmute your Bose Soundbar using the Sony remote.
In case the process did not quite work, attempt the steps again!
Thus, to control your Bose Soundbar by using any Universal TV remote you need to enable the HDMI-CEC option from the Bose Music App.
Then you need to pair the new remote by adding a new remote in the app or following the correct steps for each brand.
This guide has covered how to control Bose Soundbar with TV remote.
Now we know that we can program Samsung, Apple, and Sony TV remotes to our Bose Soundbar as well as any other IR-controlled remote.
In some cases, the operation might require a few extra steps but in this guide, we’ve made sure to cover everything!
For more Bose Soundbar guides, check our technical blog to discover the solution you need.
- Lutron App Not Working? – Complete Fix Guide - March 21, 2023
- Geeni Camera Offline and Worried? – Easy Solutions - March 21, 2023
- VTech Baby Monitor Not Connecting? – Learn How to Fix - March 21, 2023