In case you don’t know how to connect Govee lights to Alexa you should know that the setup is really simple since the connection is officially supported.
In this post, we’re going to unwrap this topic and learn how to tell whether Govee lights can connect to Alexa.
Then we’ll proceed with a step-by-step guide to learn how it’s done and lastly we’ll conclude by solving some of the frequent problems with the connection.
Your Alexa device application is equipped with “skills” for many devices and one of them is in Lightning System and includes Govee. You only need to link both devices’ accounts and you’ll be able to control your LED strip with voice commands.
How To Know If Govee LED Lights Connect To Alexa?
A question that many of you ask is whether the Govee lights can or cannot connect to an Alexa voice assistant.
The quick answer to this question is yes, the Govee LED lights can connect to Alexa.
You can immediately tell that Govee LED lights are compatible with Alexa, by taking a look at the “Govee Home” skill, found within the Amazon Alexa app.
You can link your Govee home account to the account on Amazon and this will make both of the devices work together.
Now when knowing that Govee lights work with Alexa, next we’ll see how to connect them!
How To Connect Govee LED Lights To Alexa In Easy Steps?
To connect your LED strip to Alexa you’ll need to prepare both devices individually.
This is why we recommend following our steps since they include everything chronologically:
Step #1 Connect The Govee Lights To Power
Before you proceed any further, you must connect the Govee lights to power so they can be discovered by the Govee app and then by Alexa app.
We suggest first choosing a comfortable position for the LED lights (near a power strip) and placing them stationary.
Next, plug the Govee LEDs into a working power adapter and check if the LED lights would turn on.
After verifying that your Govee lights are connected to an outlet, proceed with the next step to start setting up the lights.
Note: Any output from the LED lights after plugging them in the power will mean that they are receiving power.
Step #2 Get The Govee Home Application
To pair the Govee LEDs to Alexa, you must first connect them with Govee’s dedicated home application.
This app is available both in the App Store and Google Play, so you should be able to acquire it on your device easily.
Here’s how to get the Govee home application on your mobile device:
- Open the App Store/Google Play on your mobile device.
- Type “Govee Home” in the search field.
- Press “Search”.
- Wait for the results to appear.
- Press on Govee Application (should be the first result).
- Next, hit the “Download” button and insert your phone’s password.
Ensure that you either log in with your Gove account or create an account by pressing on Sing-up. You will later need that registration’s credentials to link your Govee account to Alexa.
Tip: When opening the Govee home app for the first time, enable “Automatic Updates” to keep the app up to date.
Step #3 Connect Govee LEDs To The App
Now that you have the Govee application, you can begin the setup and get the lights connected to the application.
You should know that there is no direct way to connect the Govee LEDs to Alexa.
To establish the connection you need to link your Govee account to your Alexa account and the devices will discover each other and work together.
Here’s how to add the Govee LEDs to the Groove home application in easy steps:
- Open the Govee app on your phone.
- Head to “Add a Device”.
- Under the “Add the Device” section, choose “Smart Lightning System”.
- Browse the list of all Govee smart lights.
- Go to the “Smart LED strips” section.
- From there, locate and select the Govee LED lights.
- On the next screen, choose your WiFi network.
- Enter the password for the WiFi network and hit “Connect”.
- Finish the remaining instructions to set up the lights.
Tip: Keep the Govee lights close enough to the WiFi router during the setup so the device can discover the network.
Step #4 Enable The “Govee Home” Skill In Alexa
Now that you have the Govee lights hooked up to their application, it’s time to learn how to connect Govee lights to Alexa.
For this purpose, you will need your Alexa application and the account you wish to connect the Govee lights with.
Here’s how to enable the Govee Home skill within Alexa app:
- Open host device Alexa application.
- Press the quick navigation menu at the bottom left.
- Press on “Skills & Games”.
- Tap the search field and write “Govee Home”.
- Once results appear, press on the “Govee Skill” option.
- Click on “Enable” next to the Settings option.
- Enter your Gove account’s credentials to link both accounts.
- Confirm the setup and your Govee lights are now connected to Amazon Alexa!
Tip: If you’ve forgotten your Govee account login credentials, you can change them at the login screen or at Govee.com.
Step #5 Command Govee Through Alexa
After linking your Govee account to Amazon Alexa application, the lights are ready-to-go!
From now, you can control the Govee lights only through your Alexa voice assistant, by pronouncing a variety of voice commands.
Here are some voice commands you can tell Alexa for the Govee LED lights:
- Alexa, set the room light (from 10% up to 100%)
- Alexa, turn the bedroom light OFF/ON
- Alexa, brighten/dim the bedroom’s light
- Alexa, decrease/increase the bedroom light
- Alexa, change the bedroom light to red (or any other color)
In conclusion, anything the Govee LED lights are capable of doing, your Alexa can remotely put them to it via voice command.
Just keep in mind that you need to keep the Govee lights close enough to Alexa and the connection should be fine!
Govee Lights Not Connecting To Alexa (FIXED)
When the Govee LED lights fail to connect to the host device (Alexa app), there are plenty of things you can attempt.
The solution steps we’ve prepared involve both your Alexa voice assistant and the Govee LED lights, but make sure to follow the order of the solutions.
Here’s what to do if the Govee LED lights aren’t getting connected with Alexa:
- Power cycle the Govee LED lights/Alexa.
- Update the version of Alexa application/Gove application.
- Ensure that both Alexa and the Govee lights are connected to the same WiFi.
- Fix any ongoing network-WiFi issues (restart router, reconnect cables).
- Reinstall the Govee and the Alexa home application.
That should be enough to get your LEDs refreshed and allow them to be discovered by Alexa. Test if the Glove lights can connect to Alexa after each fix attempt you attempt.
Note: Alexa won’t be able to discover devices without being connected to the internet.
To connect the Govee LEDs to Alexa you need to download both device’s applications and perform the first-time setup. Then you need to connect both devices to the same WiFi and select Govee Skill from the Alexa > Add Device > Lighting System.
Read Next: Can You Cut Govee Led Lights?
Now that we’ve learned how to connect Govee lights to Alexa you should be able to turn ON/OFF and control the color and patterns of your lights.
You can connect more than one Govee LED to Alexa where you’ll have the opportunity to create groups and control groups of lights together.
We hope that this post was helpful and to find more similar guides, make sure to check our online tech blog.
- Kwikset Smart Lock Code Change – FoolProof Guide - May 25, 2023
- How to Connect Turntable To Marshall Speaker? - May 25, 2023
- Asko Dishwasher Not Drying? – Complete Fix Guide - May 25, 2023