There’s nothing more dreadful than the Dyson v6 flashing red light. Does it mean your vacuum is broken? Can you fix it?
That’s what this guide is all about. With this guide, you don’t have to be scared about the red light anymore.
The flashing red light means you will most likely have to replace the battery pack of your Dyson V6. You can do so by unscrewing the two screws holding the old battery and then replacing it with the new pack.
The blinking red light is mostly about the battery, but it’s not the only thing it represents.
I will cover all the reasons the dreaded red light might be flashing on your Dyson V6.
Troubleshoot The Battery Pack
This issue on Dyson v6 is probably due to the battery pack. This section is a comprehensive guide on how to diagnose your battery and how to replace it.
How Do I Know if I Need to Replace the Battery?
If your v6 is a bit older, there is a good chance the battery may be worn out. In that case, it’s important to test the issue and confirm the battery really is dead.
You can easily check the LED light to see if the vacuum is working as it should. A continuous blue light means everything is fine.
If it’s flashing, that indicates a loss of power and that perhaps the battery needs charging for a few hours.
If your battery won’t retain a charge even after being plugged in, it means the battery is worn out.
Older batteries will drag down the machine’s performance. To know if you have to replace the battery pack, inspect it visually.
Keep your Dyson battery in good condition by regularly checking it for the following defects:
- Any cracks or bends in the plastic.
- Puffing or bulging.
- Any discoloring.
- Any deformations.
- Look out for any burnt smells and odors.
Immediately discard the battery if you notice any of the above.
Misuse, incorrect storage, or excessive heat can cause these types of damage.
How To Purchase A New Battery
If your battery is still under warranty, you can contact the company’s customer support and open a ticket.
Once that’s resolved, you can verify whether you’re eligible for a free replacement.
The standard warranty is two years. If it is not under warranty, you have the option to choose from a list of other compatible options.
You can purchase an official replacement via Dyson’s website if the pack is not covered by warranty.
When it comes to battery replacements, always use the parts that Dyson recommends.
To buy an authentic replacement pack for your V6:
- Go to the Support page on the manufacturer’s main website.
- On this page, first, click Vacuum Cleaner.
- Then, click on Cordless Stick Vacuum.
- You will be able to find the correct replacement battery here.
You can also enter your pack’s serial number to find the correct page.
Most Dyson batteries have the following specifications:
- Voltage: 21.6 V
- Capacity: 2100mAh
- Battery Type: 18650 Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
The average price of a new battery is around $95.99.
If you want a longer runtime and durability, choosing a higher-capacity battery like 3000mAh or 4000mAh is your best bet.
Conversely, opting for cheap and low-quality batteries will only give you headaches in the long run.
Note: Depending on the way you use it, a Dyson vacuum battery can typically last for 3-5 years.
How To Replace Your Battery Pack
To get started, gather the following items:
- A Philips screwdriver.
- The replacement battery.
- The user’s guide.
- A soft cloth.
- A clear surface.
- If your vacuum was charging, unplug it.
- Remove the bin canister and dump out the trash.
- You are now ready to start replacing the battery.
Warning: Don’t touch the trigger or the power button. If you do so, the motor could start and cause you harm.
Once you have all your tools ready to go, here’s how you can change your Dyson V6 Battery.
- To remove the screws, use the screwdriver. The first screw is on the handle, and the other at the top of the pack.
- Carefully remove the battery.
- Make sure your new pack is exactly the same size and has identical specifications.
- Gently insert your new battery into the designated slot. You will hear it click into place.
- Fix the new screws on the handle and battery top to lock it in.
- Click the bin canister into the right spot.
Tip: The new pack is usually only partially charged when you receive it, so be sure to charge for 4 hours before using the vacuum.
Other Ways To Troubleshoot The Dyson V6 Flashing Red Light
The blinking red light is not just a low battery indicator. Here are all the other reasons the red light indicator may appear.
Check The Motorhead
If the red light is flashing and the motorhead isn’t spinning, that means there’s a blockage in the system.
To check for a blockage:
- Remove the clear bin canister and lid.
- Detach the motorhead.
- Check for any debris or dirt caught in the blades. Use a brush to remove anything you see.
- Make sure that there is no damaged wiring or rotating brushes that are stuck.
- Reattach the motorhead and lid.
- Put the clear bin canister back in place.
You may need to replace the motorhead if the problem continues.
Troubleshoot the Brush Bar
While using your Dyson vacuum, over time, hair and other dirt may accumulate on the brushbar, which can lead to performance issues.
To clean Dyson’s brushbar, first, remove the endcap by turning it anti-clockwise with a coin.
You can easily remove the entire brushbar and clean it comfortably.
After you clean the bar, you can screw the endcap back on.
To remove any knots or tangled hair in the brush bar:
- Use a pair of scissors to cut through the hair around the brushbar.
- Pull the hair and other debris out slowly.
- Wipe it clean with a cloth.
- Don’t forget to also dust off the area that encloses the brushbar.
Brush Bar Isn’t Rotating Properly
A flashing red light can also mean a malfunctioning brush bar.
The brush bar rotating is integral to the vacuum’s sucking up dirt, dust, and debris on the floor.
If it can’t rotate properly, then the vacuum won’t be able to do its job very well.
When your brush bar isn’t working, it is either due to a clog or because it is loose.
The brush bar is made of carbon fiber and contains a fastener that can become loose over time with heavy use. This fastener is marked with a padlock symbol.
To fix this issue, simply tighten the padlock back down using a small coin. Ensure that it is firmly in place before turning on the vacuum again.
The Dyson v6 needs proper maintenance to stay efficient, meaning you should clean its parts occasionally.
If the brushbar becomes clogged with dirt and debris over time, it might not work correctly.
The brushbar is what helps clean your carpets, and if it’s not working, then neither will your vacuum.
You can try to clean it first, but sometimes you might just need a new one.
Make Sure Your Dyson V6 Is Not Overheating
The Dyson V6 has a safety feature that will cause it to shut down if it starts to overheat. When this happens, the red light will start flashing.
To prevent your Dyson from overheating, make sure you:
- Clean the filters regularly.
- Don’t use the vacuum for more than twenty minutes at a time.
- Make sure the area around the vacuum is clean and well-ventilated.
- Don’t use the vacuum on high-pile carpets for more than 5 minutes at a time.
Also, try to only use “Max Mode” as little as you can. Max Mode can overheat the unit if used for long periods of time.
Now you won’t need to wonder what the Dyson v6 flashing red light means.
As long as you follow this guide, you won’t have to worry about the dreaded red light ever again.
- Lutron App Not Working? – Complete Fix Guide - March 21, 2023
- Geeni Camera Offline and Worried? – Easy Solutions - March 21, 2023
- VTech Baby Monitor Not Connecting? – Learn How to Fix - March 21, 2023