Asking why is the Arlo camera not connecting to app? You’ve come to the right guide!
In order for your Arlo camera to connect with the mobile application, there are important setup factors you must take into consideration.
In this guide, we will get you familiar with the correct setup process along with the best solutions in case something goes wrong.
Arlo cameras may not be connected to the application due to problems with the power of the device. There could be an issue with the base station and the sync with the camera. In addition, Issues with the network could have occurred or you’re using cellular data to connect your Arlo to the internet.
Let’s review what are the potential causes of this problem and then solve them!
If your camera is unable to connect to the Arlo application, there’s a chance that you didn’t sync the camera with the base station.
That’s required before connecting the camera to the application since the camera will receive internet through the base station that you have.
Note: Some Arlo essential cameras do not require a smart hub or a base station to connect with the internet.
A base station is optional for Arlo essential units, so you won’t need one to connect your camera to the internet.
Here are the causes of why your camera is not connecting with the app:
1. No Base Station Internet
Your base station or smart hub must be plugged with an Ethernet cable to the router in order for your camera to connect to the application.
2. Base Station Not Synced With The App
To connect additional Arlo camera units, the base station must already be connected with the mobile application.
3. Outdated Arlo App Firmware
Your Arlo application must be running the latest available OS version for your base station and cameras to connect.
4. Network Problem
Even if your base station is secured into the router, there could be a network problem, interrupting the internet.
5. Arlo Camera Problem
Lastly, your Arlo camera’s batteries might have worn out or the device shut down accidentally, therefore you’re not able to connect.
Those were the causes for the problem. Keep reading to learn how to solve the problem.
The solutions below are designed to tackle each possibility if followed in order. Make sure that you apply our solutions consecutively for the best effects.
Here’s how to fix your Arlo camera that isn’t connecting to the app:
If you’re struggling with connecting your Arlo camera to the application through a base station, you should bypass this step.
There’s a way to directly pair your Arlo camera to a 2.4GHz network without using the sync feature from the base station.
Here’s how to connect your Arlo camera without using a base station:
- Open the Arlo app on your phone.
- Go to Add New Device and select the model and type of your camera.
- Tap on Connect without a Base Station.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and locate your WiFi network.
Note: If you don’t have an Arlo account yet, tap on New system configuration from the welcome page in the Arlo app.
To solve the connection problem, you need to begin with a power cycle on your Base station.
If your Arlo account is active, then you have already connected the base station to the application, but the Arlo camera units are giving you the problem.
Here’s how to hard reset your Arlo base station:
- Hit the power button on the bottom panel of your Arlo base station.
- Wait for 5 seconds and disconnect the power adapter of the device.
- Standby for an additional 5 minutes until the hard reset is complete.
- Re-attach the power adapter of the base station back into the power source.
Note: Keep in mind that while the hard reset is ongoing, your Arlo camera may be offline, even if it is not connecting to the application.
If your Arlo camera isn’t connecting with the application, then it is most certainly out of sync from the base station.
In that regard, you should resync your camera to the base station device to solve the problem.
Here’s how to resync your Arlo camera to the base station:
- Make sure that your base station is up and running.
- De-attach your Arlo camera from the wall stand.
- Bring it over to your base station in around a 1-meter range (3 feet).
- Hit the Sync button on the base station and wait for the green LED.
- Once the base station flashes in green, hit the sync button on the camera.
- Wait for the rapidly blinking blue light on your camera.
Note: If your Arlo camera starts flashing in orange instead, this means that there is a problem with the syncing.
Check if the camera is close enough to the base station and re-attempt the syncing process.
If you aren’t using the latest version of the Arlo application, this might be causing interference with your camera, therefore it won’t connect.
In this solution, you should verify that you have the latest version of the Arlo application or update it if you haven’t yet.
Here’s how to update your Arlo application to the latest version:
- On your smartphone, open the App Store/Google Play.
- Input “Arlo” in the search field.
- Click on the first result, posted by NETGEAR.
- Instead of the download button, look for an “Update” button.
- Initiate the update and wait for the installation of the update afterward.
Note: Make sure not to cancel the update halfway or shut down your phone while the process is still ongoing to avoid creating corrupted data within the Arlo application.
If updating your Arlo application didn’t work, then reinstall the app and test connecting your camera.
You can uninstall apps on your phone by going Settings > Storage > Arlo App. To download the app again, follow the instructions above.
There’s a chance that your Arlo camera has run out of active charge, therefore it won’t connect to the Arlo application.
If that’s the case, what you should do is replace the batteries of your Arlo camera to solve the problem with the application.
Here’s how to replace the batteries of your Arlo camera:
- De-attach your camera from the wall stand.
- Pull the top latch towards you and flip it over once you hear the click
- Expose the battery units and take 4 of the CR123 units out.
- Get yourself 4 of the same batteries and insert them back into the compartment.
Note: When inserting the batteries, mind the electric polarity of your camera to avoid placing the batteries in the incorrect position.
If nothing worked so far, you should perform a factory reset on your Base station.
If you’re not using a base station for your setup, reset your Arlo camera by holding the sync button for 15 seconds.
Here’s how to reset your Arlo base station:
- Grab a straightened paper clip and press it down in the reset pinhole on the bottom of your Arlo base station.
- Hold it down for 10 seconds.
- Release once you see the amber flash from your base station’s LED.
Note: You will have to set up your base station in the Arlo app again, along with your Arlo camera once the reset is complete.
Thus, to fix the Arlo camera that isn’t connecting to the app, connect the camera without a base station or reinstall the Arlo app. Next, reset the base station and resync your camera to test. Connect only with a 2.4GHz network and check if that will help.
Now that you know why the Arlo camera not connecting to app, you can solve the problem with our proven solutions.
In case nothing helps, you can reach out to Arlo for more assistance and eventually put your warranty to use.
- Sanyo TV Screen Goes Black After A Few Seconds? Complete Fix! - May 13, 2022
- Why Sonos Move Won’t Connect To Bluetooth? Fix Guide - May 13, 2022
- How To Delete My Peacock Account? Complete Guide! - May 13, 2022