If you are having an Alexa not working on Sonos One trouble, this post will help you understand why this has happened.
Also, we will provide you with detailed instructions to fix the issue and get the most of your device.
Often, the reason why your Alexa is not working on your Sonos One is due to a minor bug in the application. In this case, you can re-link the Sonos Skill from your Alexa app and add it again to resolve the issue. This fix will only take a few minutes of your time.
Make sure you enable all skills in the Alexa app. To do this, open the app on your smartphone or tablet and tap the Home button.
Then, tap the Browse Skills option and search for Sonos. Tap on the Sonos Skill and press Enable to Use.
Why Alexa Not Working on Sonos One
Alexa not working on my Sonos One may be due to a number of things. The culprit can be as simple as a muted mic or as complicated as a defective device.
Whatever is the reason, there are troubleshooting methods that can help fix the issue.
Mic is on Mute
A simple explanation why your Alexa is not working on your Sonos One is you may have forgotten to turn on the microphone.
Make sure it is active by checking the small, round LED light on your device. If the light is white, it means the mic is ON. If not, press the mic symbol to activate it.
Outdated Sonos App
Sonos regularly releases updates to offer the best user experience. An outdated Sonos app can cause a lot of problems, including your Alexa not working.
Make sure the app is running the most up-to-date software for the best functionality.
Sonos Skill not Linked Properly to Alexa
Because Alexa is an external app integrating with your Sonos, sometimes a bug can occur when the two synchronize.
Resetting the Sonos Skill in the Alexa application fixes this issue. Do this, and there’s a good chance they will start working with no further issues.
If something is wrong with the device, contact Sonos Support or submit diagnostics through the app. They will be able to guide you more efficiently through every step.
How to Fix Alexa Not Working on Sonos One – Best Solutions!
It can be extremely frustrating if your Alexa stops working on your Sonos One. This simple guide will help you fix the issue.
First, make sure your Wi-Fi is up and running, and your devices are connected.
Solution #1: Check If Your Sonos One Microphone is Set to Mute
Since the Sonos One is a voice-enabled Sonos product, you have to check if the microphone is on mute to make sure Alexa will work.
You will find a small, round LED light below the mic icon.
- When the light is ON, it means the mic is active, and you can make voice commands.
- When the light is OFF, the mic is disabled.
Note: When the mic is disabled, you can still use voice commands, but you need to keep pressing the mic button. If you release it, the mic will be disabled again.
Solution #2: Power Cycle Your Sonos
If the issue is with the speakers themselves, you should try power cycling them to fix the issue. This classic on-off method can help solve a lot of problems.
- Unplug the power cord.
- Wait for 10 seconds before plugging it again.
- Reconnect the power cord.
- Wait for a minute for your Sonos One to boot up.
If the problem persists and you simply need to wipe your Sonos speakers, you can take more drastic measures like getting your device’s settings to factory defaults.
- Unplug the Sonos One from the power outlet.
- Hold down the Connect button while plugging the device back into the power outlet.
- Keep pressing the Connect button, and you will see amber and white light flashing.
- Once the reset is complete, the light will flash green.
Once the speakers are back online, try using Alexa and see if the issue is fixed.
Solution #3: Update Your Sonos App
If power cycling your Sonos does not resolve the issue, you may update the Sonos app.
Sonos regularly releases updates to make sure users get the best experience.
- Launch the Sonos app on your phone.
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to the System option and tap on System Updates.
- Once done, scroll down and click Check for Updates.
- This can take a few minutes to complete. After the search, install the latest update.
Note: Toggle on the automatic update feature to make sure you always get the latest Sonos app version and avoid issues related to outdated software.
Solution #4: Reset Sonos Skill on the Alexa App
One of the most popular solutions to Alexa not working on Sonos is resetting the Sonos skill. Delete and re-enable the skills to fix the issue.
To delete the Sonos skill:
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and tap Menu on the upper left.
- Select Skills & Games.
- Choose Your Skills from the upper tab and select Sonos Skill.
- Click Disable Skill and then Disable on the next page.
When you have disabled the Sonos skill, next, you need to re-enable it.
- In the Alexa app, go to Skills & Games.
- Click the magnifying glass and look for Sonos.
- Choose the Sonos Skill and click Enable to Use.
- Press Continue.
- Sign in to your Sonos account, press Okay > Continue.
Note: This troubleshooting method should not take much of your time. You can finish it within a few minutes.
Solution #5: Reset Alexa on the Sonos App
If the problem lies with Alexa, you can fix the issue by resetting the Amazon external service.
Remove it from your speaker by following these steps:
- Open the Sonos app and go to Settings.
- Select Services > Amazon Alexa under the Voice category.
- From the Sonos Products, choose the speaker at fault.
- Remove Alexa and confirm.
Follow Steps 1-3 and select Add another product to re-add Alexa. Tap Add Sonos when prompted and select the speaker you wish to reinstate.
Tap Add Amazon Alexa and sign in to your Amazon account. Tap Done when your Sonos finished authorizing.
Note: Try out the voice control of your speaker. If Alexa responds, then the issue is fixed. If not, contact customer support and submit diagnostics.
Read Next: How to Fix Sonos Not Working After Update?
Hence, if Alexa stops working on your Sonos One, check if the mic is activated. If yes, reset the Sonos Skills on the Alexa app. Go to Menu > Skills & Games > Your Skills. Select Sonos Skills and click disable.
Enable it again by clicking the magnifying glass icon on the Alexa app and selecting Enable to Use.
If you have trouble with Alexa not working on Sonos One, you will find possible causes in this post and the appropriate solutions for each.
If you have tried all troubleshooting methods in this guide, but the problem persists, contact Sonos customer support. They can fix the issue if the problem is on their end.
If you find this post useful, but you have another trouble with your Sonos One setup, our blog can definitely help.
- Geeni Camera Offline and Worried? – Easy Solutions - March 21, 2023
- VTech Baby Monitor Not Connecting? – Learn How to Fix - March 21, 2023
- How to Add Arlo to HomeKit? – Complete Steps - March 21, 2023