Your Alexa can’t find LIFX bulb? Here’s the resolution!
As one of the many partners of Amazon, LIFX also has a skill that must be enabled, so their products can connect with the Alexa speaker.
Keep reading to learn how to properly set up your LIFX bulb and how to fix it if anything goes wrong with the setup.
Let’s jump right in!
To discover the Lifx Bulb with Alexa, power cycle the bulb and hard reboot your Alexa-enabled source device. Next, update Amazon Alexa’s application and ensure the LIFX skill is enabled. Finally, reinstall the Amazon Alexa app and reset your speaker!
This is only a quick peek into the solution, let’s first try the following:
How to Connect LIFX Bulb to Alexa? (Easy Steps)
Assuming that you have just unboxed your LIFX bulb, there is a simple setup process that you must first go through, before hooking up the bulb to Alexa.
For a first-time user, begin with creating your LIFX Account prior to attempting to connect.
Follow these steps to set up your LIFX bulb to Alexa in easy steps:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store/Google Play.
- Download the LIFX app.
- Launch the LIFX platform and press “Register”.
- Create your registration and confirm your account.
- Sign in to your account with the new credentials.
- Go to the “More Options” menu at the top of the home screen.
- Press “Light Settings”.
- Ensure that the bulb is online.
- Go to the Amazon Alexa app > Settings > Skills > LIFX > Enable.
- Follow the rest of the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
If you’ve undergone the setup successfully, but the Alexa speaker still refuses to hook up with LIFX, keep reading our solutions to understand how to fix this issue!
Alexa Can’t Find Lifx Bulb? – Fixed!
To achieve optimal results and resolve the connection problem between your LIFX bulb and Alexa, follow our instructions carefully and do not skip any.
In addition, make sure that both your Alexa speaker and the LIFX bulb are turned on all of the time.
Let’s proceed with the solutions now!
Solution #1 Enable the LIFX Skill
One of the main reasons why your Alexa is unable to find the LIFX bulb is that you haven’t enabled the skill yet.
For each partnering device with Amazon, there’s a skill that will enable your speaker to search and pair with that type of device.
If you haven’t paired your LIFX account and activated the skill, the LIFX bulb will be out of reach from your Alexa.
To turn on the LIFX skill in the Amazon Alexa app, follow these steps:
- On your smartphone/mobile device, launch the Amazon Alexa app.
- Press the MENU button at the bottom of the screen.
- Head to “SKILLS”.
- Use the search field to type “LIFX”.
- Once the skill appears, press “Enable”.
- Follow the rest of the instructions to set up the skill.
Although we’ve already explained the activation of the skill back in the setup section of our guide, it’s important to have your LIFX account first.
Otherwise, the skill activation will fail and your bulb will not connect to the Amazon Alexa application and the speaker itself.
Note: The skill activation setup will have all of the instructions on-screen.
Solution #2 Verify LIFX Account Credentials
If your Alexa is still failing to locate the LIFX bulb, chances are that you have not inserted the correct LIFX account credentials.
You see, when activating the LIFX skill, you will have to link your LIFX account. If you’ve inserted incorrect credentials, the linking will fail.
Check if both your LIFX account Username and Password are correct!
Go back to the Amazon Alexa app and head to the skill section.
Follow the instructions in the previous solution, but this time, ensure that your LIFX account credentials are written down the correct way.
Once you’re done, press the “LINK” button and wait.
Note: If the pairing was a success, you will be told when exiting the pairing screen!
Solution #3 Power Cycle your Bulb
The next thing you should attempt is to power cycle your LIFX bulb.
If there is a power supply error with the device, it will not be discoverable by your Alexa no matter what you’re doing.
The power cycle is your best move to figure out what’s wrong!
Here’s how to power cycle your LIFX bulb in easy steps:
- Turn off the bulb from the light switch.
- Get an object that will help you reach the bulb (if it’s on the ceiling).
- Undo the LIFX bulb from the socket and pull it out.
- Wait for 5 minutes while the bulb is disconnected.
- Re-install the LIFX bulb back into the light switch.
- Turn the power to the bulb from the light switch.
- Check if the issue persists.
Tip: Keep your bulb disconnected for longer to allow the device to cool down!
Solution #4 Update the Amazon Alexa App
If you have left the Amazon Alexa application to run an older version, no wonder that your speaker will have trouble locating the LIFX bulb.
Keeping the application updated is a must, since most of the skills, such as the LIFX skill, require the latest version to work properly.
Here’s how to update the Amazon Alexa app on your device:
- On your device, go to the App Store/Google Play.
- Head to “Manage Installed Apps”.
- Locate the Amazon Alexa app from the list.
- Press on the app and then choose “Update”.
- Wait for the application to finish updating.
- Relaunch the Amazon Alexa app.
- Check if you are now able to connect with the LIFX bulb.
Note: The update might take more time, based on the speed of your internet connection!
Solution #5 Reinstall the Alexa App
If updating the Amazon app didn’t work, then you should perform a clean reinstallation.
The Alexa app might not be able to discover devices because corrupted data already exists, or there is a factory bug with the skills, including the LIFX skill.
A clean installation is your best shot against the issue before we know what’s causing the problem!
Alert: The reinstalling of the Alexa app will disconnect you from your Amazon Account.
To remove the app from your device:
- Settings > Storage > Amazon Alexa > “Uninstall”
To install the app from your device:
- Open the App Store > Search for Amazon Alexa > Download
When starting the Amazon Alexa app, sign back into your account and test. Keep in mind that all of the skills that were enabled until now will be disabled.
You will have to reconnect both your speaker and all of the devices that were connected after the reinstallation.
Note: Make sure to allow “Automatic Updates” to keep Amazon Alexa up to date!
Solution #6 Reset your LIFX Bulb/Alexa
If nothing worked so far, then we strongly suggest resetting both your Alexa speaker and the LIFX bulb.
If there was a problem with either of the device, a reset will be capable of eradicating the problem.
With a bit of luck, you’ll be soon able to hook up your LIFX bulb!
Let’s begin with a reset on your Alexa:
Reset Amazon Alexa Speaker:
To reset your Echo Dot speaker, press and hold the ACTION button for 10 seconds.
Once the button is pressed, give the speaker a minute or two to reboot.
Reset a LIFX Bulb:
To reset your LIFX bulb, turn its power ON and OFF 5 consecutive times!
Use the light switch and press it 5 times to cause your LIFX bulb to go into reset.
Alert: Make sure to test if the connection between the devices is possible after each reset.
Hence, the fix whenever the LIFX bulb cannot connect with Amazon Alexa is to power cycle the bulb and verify your LIFX account credentials. Next, update the Amazon app and perform a clean installation. Ultimately, reset your LIFX bulb and the Alexa device.
In this guide, we’ve learned why Alexa can’t find LIFX bulb and what you could do to solve the problem as soon as possible.
If this error persists to impact your setup, then perhaps it would be better if you contact Amazon or LIFX for assistance. They will definitely help!
In case you found this guide helpful, you can discover much more Alexa-related solution guides for any of your technical inquiries.
- How To Add LG TV To Homekit? – Complete Steps - March 21, 2023
- Lutron App Not Working? – Complete Fix Guide - March 21, 2023
- Geeni Camera Offline and Worried? – Easy Solutions - March 21, 2023