You don’t know what to do when Sony TV WiFi keeps turning OFF?
Keep reading to reveal the solution whenever Sony TV is constantly being disconnected from the network and how to stop the WiFi from turning OFF.
We made sure to include everything so let’s first have a peek at what the solution includes…
Whenever the Sony television WiFi is turning OFF, users should discharge the TV by performing a power cycle and making sure that the date & time settings are accurate. The next step is to update the TV firmware and tweak the network DNS settings.
Now when we know what we’re about to discuss, let’s jump right into the solution!
To begin solving the problem, we’re going to first attempt a simple restart:
To fix general problems with the built-in WiFi of the Sony TV, you should soft reset the TV.
As the name suggests, this is not a factory reset, but rather a way to refresh the software of your TV without deleting any data.
Here’s how to perform a soft reset on the Sony TV easily:
- Using the Sony TV remote, shut the device OFF.
- Unplug the power adapter of the Sony TV.
- Hold the power button of the remote for 60 seconds (aim at the Sony TV).
- Reconnect the power adapter of the TV back into the source.
- Check if the WiFi feature would now turn off by itself.
Alert: When power-cycling, waiting for longer is always more efficient than not waiting long enough.
One of the reasons that the Sony TV’s WiFi turns OFF is whenever the date and time settings are incorrect.
To adjust them you must access the TV settings from the home screen and update the data about the date and the time of your TV.
Here’s how to adjust date and time settings on the Sony TV:
- Go to Settings.
- Choose General.
- Head to Date and Time.
- Check “Set automatically”.
- Wait for the Sony TV to update your date and time settings.
Note: In case the Auto set didn’t work, uncheck the option and head to “Manual” in the same settings tab to adjust the date & time.
Whenever Sony TV WiFi keeps turning off the problem could be related to your network-WiFi instead of the Sony TV.
In case your WiFi is dropping or the signal fluctuates, it might seem that your Sony television WiFi is turning off, while it is only disconnecting.
To fix this, everything you have to do is connect the Sony TV to a different WiFi. Feel free to turn on the hotspot through your smartphone and use cellular data as WiFi.
This will help you determine what’s causing this problem and will suggest what’s the solution.
Note: To turn on the hotspot on your mobile, go to Settings > Network > Data > Hotspot > “Enable”. Copy the password and connect your TV to the hotspot.
The reason why your WiFi may not function properly could be outdated software on the Sony TV.
Newer updates bring compatibility improvements and you could be missing something important. This is why you need to undertake an update now.
Here are two ways to update the Sony TV with/without WiFi:
- Go to Home on the Sony TV.
- Choose Apps.
- Head to Help.
- Press System Software Update.
- Initiate the update checker.
- Press “Install” on an update that appears.
- Grab a flash drive with at least 5 gigabytes of free storage.
- Format the USB flash drive to FAT32 format.
- Get on your PC or laptop and head to Sony Support.
- From there, find the exact model of the Sony TV (written on the back of the TV).
- Search the model using the navigation box.
- Press on “Updates” for the selected model.
- Install the latest update and paste it in the root directory of the flash drive.
- Plug the USB into the Sony TV and run the update by selecting the source.
Alert: Once the update begins, know that your TV may restart several times. Do not interfere.
One of the reasons that the Sony TV’s WiFi may be turning off is due to incorrect DNS settings.
The Domain Name Server is responsible for creating a private, anonymous connection with the router. However, it also has an impact on the in-built WiFi state of the TV.
Here’s how to tweak the DNS settings of the Sony TV correctly:
- On the Sony TV, go to Settings > Network.
- Choose Set-up.
- Select Network connection.
- Press Custom/Expert.
- Press on Wireless Set-up.
- Select the Manual IP Address setting.
- For primary DNS value, insert 22.214.171.124.
- For a secondary DNS value, insert 126.96.36.199.
- Save the changes and connect your TV with the WiFi.
Alert: Make sure to write these exact values, or the Sony TV will refuse to connect with the WiFi. Those are the free, public DNS servers of Google.
This is one of the most important methods that help with connectivity problems on your devices.
Luckily the Sony TV provides an option to reset the network settings on the device and reboot ALL services responsible for the WiFi.
You will also lose settings related to the Bluetooth, previous connections and passwords.
Here’s how to perform a network reset on any Sony TV model in easy steps:
- Go to Settings on the Sony TV.
- Press General.
- Go to the Network tab.
- Choose “Network Status”.
- Under Network Status, press “Network Reset”.
- If any prompts appear, confirm them and proceed with the reset.
- Wait for your TV to complete the operation.
Now when the network settings of your Sony TV has been reset, you should re-attempt to connect to the WiFi. In case the connection still fails, proceed with the next solution.
Notice: You will need to reconnect the Sony TV to the WiFi once the network settings are erased.
In case nothing else worked so far, then a factory reset is your last but most powerful way to solve any potential problems on your TV.
The factory reset targets mainly the operating system and ALL settings, data, and cache on the device.
Alert: The factory reset is an irreversible action and lost data won’t be recovered.
When you’re ready, here is how to factory reset the Sony TV:
- Go to the Settings of the Sony TV.
- Press “Storage & Reset”.
- Head to Restore Factory Settings.
- Choose Erase all data.
- A prompt will appear which you have to confirm.
- Wait for the TV to be reset.
When the reset is over you’ll notice that your TV appears to be as it was when first taken out of the box.
In that regard, you need to reconnect to the WiFi and check whether the problem will appear again.
To solve the problem where Sony television WiFi is constantly turning OFF you need to power cycle the device and adjust the time & date. Further troubleshooting includes updating the firmware, tweaking the DNS settings, and performing a factory reset.
Now that we know the solution for the Sony TV WiFi keeps turning OFF problem, we can wrap things up by saying that connectivity problems are a big fuss.
The solutions sometimes can take up to a minute, other times eat half your day.
We hope that we were able to help. To discover related posts, check our blog!
- Owlet Sock Not Charging When Plugged In? – Fix Guide! - August 5, 2022
- Why Does Siri Keep Coming On By Itself? Here’s How To Fix! - August 5, 2022
- Why Is Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera Not Connecting? Here’s How to Fix! - August 5, 2022