Why your Schlage connect won’t pair with app?
Schlage Connect doesn’t pair with the Schlage Home app. Instead, you need a smart hub such as Samsung Smartthings or Amazon Echo to control your Schlage Connect.
In this guide, we will teach you all you need to know to correctly set up your Schlage Connect and be able to control it from your smart hub.
Why My Schlage Connect Won’t Pair With App?
In the world of technological devices, many things can go wrong. Sometimes your Schlage Connect will stop working as it should, which is the worst.
After all, no one wants a malfunctioning smart lock. But what might the issue be?
1. System failure – Sometimes, devices have some sort of hardware or software failure that prevents them from working well.
2. Outdated app – Nowadays, you always need to update your apps, or else the devices they should control won’t respond.
3. Your WiFi – Many problems with a house’s WiFi will interfere with the functioning of the connected devices.
4. Connecting to the wrong app – Schlage Connect is not supposed to connect to the Schlage Home app but to third-party services such as Alexa.
Troubleshooting Schlage Connect’s Pairing Issues
Since many reasons may apply for the malfunctioning of your Schlage Connect, it is only natural that there are many solutions.
It is easy to troubleshoot if you can identify the problem.
Now, if you are unsure what the problem is, read the steps below. In the end, something will make your Schlage Connect work again.
Step #1: Learn What Smart Hub You Need
The first thing plenty of users get wrong about Schlage Connect is the way it is supposed to get integrated into a network.
While Schlage Sense locks can pair with the Schlage Home app, Schlage Connect works differently.
Why is that?
Schlage Connect does not use Bluetooth or a common WiFi signal.
Instead, there are two versions, one which uses Zigbee and the other which uses Z-wave.
While our phones can’t use those technologies, smart hubs can recognize them.
Thus, before you can control Schlage Connect remotely, it needs to pair with a device such as Amazon Echo, Wink, etc. (depending on the model).
- Smart hubs that support Z-wave: Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Ring Alarm, Blue by ADT, Honeywell Home
- Smart hubs that support Zigbee: Samsung SmartThings, Key by Amazon App + Cloud Cam, Amazon Echo Plus
If you don't have a smart hub in your home, then you won't be able to remotely control your Schlage Connect smart lock.
If you have a smart hub compatible with the technology of your Schlage Connect, go to the next step.
Step #2: Integrating Schlage Connect With Your Smart Hub
After identifying whether your Schlage Connect uses Z-wave or Zigbee, you can choose your preferred smart hub.
How to put Schlage connect in pairing mode? To pair your lock with a hub, you must first put your Schlage Connect into enrollment mode.
- Remove the battery cover.
- Press and release button.
- A yellow flashing light indicates enrollment is in progress.
- A green light indicates success
Samsung Smartthings smart hub supports Z-wave and Zigbee, meaning you can integrate any Schlage Connect model into its network.
To do that, follow the instructions:
- Open the Smartthings app on your phone.
- Tap Home.
- Under Things, click Add A Thing.
- A few easy instructions will follow.
- A green light on your smart lock indicates success.
Remember that Wink can only connect to Z-wave-enabled Schlage Connect.
To do that:
- Open your Wink hub app.
- Wink should automatically detect Schlage Connect
- Follow the instructions prompted by Wink
- The green light on your smart lock indicates success.
Ring Alarm is another very useful system to which you can connect your Z-wave-enabled Schlage Connect.
Doing that is simple:
- Open your Ring app.
- Tap Set Up A Device.
- Choose Locks And Access Controllers.
- The app should recognize your Schlage Connect.
- Follow the instructions.
- Wait for the green light on your lock.
Blue by ADT
To add the Schlage Connect to your Blue by ADT Smart Hub, do the following:
- Open the Blue app
- Tap Menu
- Tap Devices
- Click Add (+)
- Follow the instructions
- Check that your lock flashes the green light.
The Honeywell Home app is called Resideo. To add Schlage Connect to it, follow the steps:
- Open Resideo
- Tap the 3-line icon to open the menu
- Click Add New Device
- Choose your smart lock
- Follow the instructions
- Wait for the green light on the smart lock
Key by Amazon App + Cloud Cam
As this article is being written, Cloud Cam still supports Schlage Connect. However, Amazon will shut down the Cloud Cam servers in December.
While the service is on, you can do the following:
- Open your Amazon Key App
- It will recognize your smart lock
- Follow the instructions
- The green light on the lock means the device is paired
Amazon Echo Plus
The Amazon Echo Plus can detect your Schlage Connect immediately and send the notification via Alexa.
If that does not happen, do the following:
- In the Alexa app, tap the plus (+) button
- Select Add Device
- Among the types of devices, choose Lock.
- Select Schlage among the brands.
- Find your smart lock and select it.
- Green lights will show you succeeded.
Step #4: Reset Your WiFi
In case your app is not finding the Schlage Connect, you might attempt to reset your WiFi.
- In your router, press the power button until it goes off
- Wait a few seconds
- Press the power button again
- Wait for WiFi to be on
Step #5: Move Your Smart Hub Closer
Maybe you installed your Schlage Connect on a door far from your smart hub. In that case, try placing your smart hub nearer it.
If that does not work, proceed to the next steps.
Step #6: Update Or Reinstall Your App
Suppose you tried the steps above, but you didn’t have success pairing your Schlage Connect.
Perhaps your app is outdated, but your phone didn’t notify you. Unfortunately, that sometimes happens.
To check that, just navigate to your PlayStore/AppStore and find the smart hub app you have on your phone.
If an update is available, an option to download it will appear.
If you want to be extra safe, reinstall the app:
- Hold your finger on the app
- Select Uninstall
- Go to the Play Store
- Find the app again and download it
Now you need to do Step #2 all over again.
Step #7: Resetting Your Schlage Connect
If the problem doesn’t seem to be your smart hub app, you should try resetting your smart lock.
Typically, the Schlage Connect is reset by removing the batteries. The batteries are located in the device’s handle at its base.
Remove the batteries for 10 minutes, then reinsert them.
Step #8: Resetting Your Smart Hub
Perhaps the problem is not your Schlage Connect but your smart hub. To check that, reset your smart hub.
Most hubs have a power button. Find it and press it until the whole system is off. Then wait for a few seconds and turn it back on.
Some smart hubs don’t have a power button. That is the case with Echo Plus.
You need to unplug it from the power source to turn it off. After doing that, wait a few seconds and plug it back in.
Step #9: Doing A Factory Reset On Your Schlage Connect
We suggest a factory reset if you are still experiencing issues with your device. That will restore the device’s settings to their factory defaults.
It may be necessary to reconfigure the device from scratch, but ensuring that everything is functioning is worthwhile.
Once you’re done, you shouldn’t have any further troubles.
To do a factory reset:
- Disconnect batteries
- Press and hold the Schlage logo
- While doing that, reconnect the batteries
- Test the lock with a default code (it is on the back of the guide you received with your lock)
After doing a factory reset, perform again step #2.
Step #10: Get In Touch With Schlage
If nothing suggested above worked, the last thing you can do is reach out to the Schlage support team.
For the best support experience, you must inform all the methods you attempted and tell all that has been happening to your device.
What We Learned
If your Schlage Connect won’t pair with app, first make sure you use the correct app.
Schlage Connect is incompatible with Schlage Home, meaning you need a third-party app that controls a smart hub.
It is the smart hub that will mediate your lock and your commands. If you approach it correctly but pairing won’t work, try to update or reinstall your app.
Further, resetting your lock and your smart hub might be the solution. Last but not least, a factory reset on your lock might work.
When nothing works, reach Schlage support.
- Blink Live View Not Supported? – Complete Fix Guide - December 3, 2022
- Chefman Electric Kettle Won’t Turn On? – Fix Guide - December 3, 2022
- How to Fix Nanit Night Vision Not Working? – Complete Fix! - December 3, 2022