We understand that you might be facing Vudu Chromecast problems.
Perhaps the Chromecast function fails to load, gives an error message, or doesn’t even show up.
To fix your Vudu Chromecast problems, you must first ensure that you have the minimum necessary to enable Chromecast for your Vudu account. After that, it is important to check your connection, disable VPN, and remove firewall restrictions from the router.
The guide below will help you with all the steps you need to troubleshoot the Vudu problems related to Chromecast.
Then, in a matter of moments, you will be able to watch your favorite shows or movies on the TV.
Vudu Chromecast Problems – Reasons Behind
Sometimes the Vudu platform will present issues when coupled with Chromecast. Those issues can be simply streaming-related.
Nonetheless, there are ways of fixing it, and there are also reasons why those are happening.
Let’s check the probable causes:
✅ Unstable Connection
As with any service that relies on the internet, Vudu can become problematic when your connection is suffering from instability.
✅ Outdated Firmware
Such a cause goes both ways: Chromecast or Vudu might have outdated firmware, thus causing issues when you try to stream your favorite shows.
✅ Vudu Server Issues
A situation out of your control is that the servers are going down completely. In that case, nothing on the app will work.
You must ensure that you are using the correct app and not Vudu-To-Go, as that is not fit for Chromecast.
How To Fix The Vudu Chromecast Problems
In this part of the article, we will help you eliminate Vudu streaming problems on Chromecast.
Instances of not working could range from silly mistakes when trying to watch a show to not loading entirely.
1. Turn Your VPN Off
Do you use VPN on your phone to protect your data or simply access foreign content?
We understand the appeal of those, but VPN can cause Vudu playback on Chromecast problems.
The official guidelines of Chromecast alert that the service does not work when your VPN is on. So:
- Open your VPN app;
- Select to turn the VPN off for now;
- Open Vudu and try to Chromecast it.
Deactivate VPN On The Router’s Settings
If your VPN is, instead, installed in the whole network and transmitted directly from the router, you will have to:
- Enter your router’s IP on the browser;
- Enter your credentials;
- Find the VPN options;
- Disable the VPN for now.
2. Fix The Network
The first thing we recommend you check is the type of network the devices are connected to. The fastest, the better.
For starters, the best network you can connect to is 5GHz. If that option is available, ensure you enter it.
Remember that the phone and TV must be connected to the same network. The same is true if you are casting from a PC.
If The Vudu Is Taking Time To Load
If the Vudu app seems like taking too long to load, do the following:
- Turn the TV off;
- Turn your router off for a minute;
- Turn the router on again;
- Turn the TV on again.
Resetting the connection should prioritize the TV’s connection in the router’s “task list.”
3. Ensure You Have The Minimal Requirements
If you are trying to use Vudu with Chromecast for the first time, you might be having trouble figuring out what works and what doesn’t.
So we will clear things up a bit:
- You can only cast streaming content. If you have downloaded anything on your Vudu app, that content can’t be Chromecast;
- The Vudu-To-Go app doesn’t support Chromecast;
- If you are using a PC or Mac to access Vudu, you must ensure you are using the Chrome browser;
- Vudu does not yet support 3D titles;
- Vudu might not support Chromecasting a few titles (you must check before trying);
- Smartphones and tablets only support Chromecasting from the app.
4. Reset The Chromecast Dongle
One of the easiest ways of ensuring that your Chromecast dongle is operating at full capacity is performing a reset on it.
A reset will clear all the issues that can happen from firmware malfunctioning.
Here is how you do it:
- Find the button on your Chromecast;
- Hold the button down;
- Let go of the button after 30 seconds;
- Wait for it to factory reset completely.
Your TV screen will let you know when the factory reset has been successful.
If it is not, it might be that you didn’t hold for 30 seconds exactly.
5. Ensure Your Vudu App Is The Latest
Streaming service apps will always contact the servers so they can retrieve the data you are trying to access.
However, one thing they might fail to do is update automatically. Then, other functions will also not work.
Note: You must check for updates manually.
Check For Updates On Android
If you have the Vudu app on an Android phone, check for updates by following the steps:
- Open the Google Play Store app;
- Tap on the three horizontal lines (top-left corner);
- Select “My apps & games” from the menu;
- Updates available will be listed under the “Updates” tab;
- Look for Vudu in the list of apps;
- If an update is available, click the “Update” button next to the app.
Check For Updates On iOS
iPhone owners will have to check for manual updates by doing this:
- Open the App Store app;
- Tap on your profile picture;
- Scroll down to the “Available Updates” section;
- Look for Vudu in the list of apps;
- If available, tap the “Update” button next to the app (if available).
Tip: If no update is available, you might want to uninstall the app and install it again. That can clear corrupted files.
6. Remove Firewall Restrictions
Another sort of thing that causes problems with Vudu casting to Chromecast is firewall restrictions.
That is likely to happen if you try to use Chromecast from the computer, especially Windows. In that case, you will need to open firewall ports.
- Type “Control Panel” on the Windows research bar and enter it;
- Go to “System and Security”>” Windows Firewall”;
- Choose “Advanced settings”;
- Right-click on “Inbound Rules”;
- Choose to add a “New Rule”;
- Choose the type of port;
- Click “Next”;
Inform The Correct Port
Now you will need some info regarding the ports. Usually, the ports used by Chromecast are usually UDP 1900, TCP 8008, and TCP/UDP 5353.
However, it can vary with different models, so you must grab your Chromecast’s user guide and find that info.
- Inform the type of protocol (TCP or UDP) and the port number (according to the Chromecast’s document);
- Select “Next” again;
- Choose “Allow the connection”;
- Select “Next”;
- Choose the correct network type and “Next”;
- Give the rule a name that you will remember (probably “Chromecast”);
- Click on Finish and exit.
7. Update The TV’s Firmware
The TV’s firmware can be at fault if you face issues with Vudu Chromecast.
- That is valid if you use a Chromecast dongle or if Chromecast is integrated into the TV’s OS.
Even with a dongle, Chromecast does not override the TV’s system but relies on it to function.
So do the following:
- Use the remote control to navigate to the TV’s “System settings”;
- Find the menu containing firmware info or system info;
- You must be able to see that a firmware update is available;
- Choose to update the firmware.
Remember that updating the TV firmware might take a while, especially if your TV is a bit old.
What We Learned
Vudu Chromecast problems can happen when some configurations are out of place. Generally, you can fix the issues without a lot of hassle.
The worst-case scenario is dealing with router or firewall settings if you are not a tech expert. But those are still doable.
Read Next: How To Fix Hulu Not Casting To Chromecast?
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023