Wondering why is Apple TV so dark on my Samsung TV? Well, keep reading to find out!
If your Samsung TV automatically dims up upon entering the Apple TV application, the problem is caused by reduced Apple TV brightness settings.
Well, we’re only scratching the surface and the dimming issue might have way deeper roots and may require extra steps to solve.
When Apple TV appears too dark on your Samsung TV, check the “Appearance” settings of the application and disable any active Samsung TV energy-efficient mode.
Let’s learn more about the dark Samsung TV screen within Apple TV!
Why Is Apple TV So Dark On My Samsung TV?
If the content you stream on your Samsung TV appears to be darker than usual, then in most cases, this fault is related to the TV’s actual brightness setting.
If you’ve reduced the TV brightness or accidentally configured other picture settings, Apple TV may also appear darker.
Here are the causes for the unusually darkened Samsung TV screen:
- A bad configuration issue with the Apple TV app.
- Reduced brightness/dimming Samsung TV setting.
- An activated energy-efficient mode on Samsung TV.
- Power outlet or equipment fault with the Samsung TV.
- A hardware backlight problem with the Samsung TV.
Samsung TV Screen Dark Only on Apple TV?
If your Samsung TV’s brightness setting is restored when you exit the Apple TV app, then there are misconfigured Apple TV picture settings.
Like any other platform, Apple TV also has an in-built configuration page that allows the user to adjust the viewing style of their experience.
Let’s next learn how to solve this issue!
7 Ways to Fix When Apple TV Dark On Samsung TV?
1. Tweak Samsung TV Picture Settings!
Before we seek a solution in Apple TV’s settings, there are a few brightness and dim configurations to review in your own Samsung TV’s options.
The darkened screen could be caused by an activated Eco Mode, a dark-style viewing mode, or reduced brightness.
|Samsung TV Dimming Settings [Mandatory]||Samsung TV Dimming Settings [Optional]|
|Contrast Enhancer (Deactivate)||Color (Increase/Decrease)|
|Brightness Optimization (Deactivate)||Tint (Decrease)|
|Brightness Reduction (Deactivate)||Contrast (Increase)|
|Default Brightness (Increase)||Color Tone (Increase/Decrease)|
|Motion Lightning (Deactivate)||Digital Clean View (Set to “Standard”)|
How to Initialize Samsung TV Picture Settings?
If you’ve misconfigured some of the picture settings and wish to revert to the default configuration, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings (All Settings) on your Samsung TV.
- Press on “Picture” and navigate to “Expert Settings”.
- Choose “Reset Picture” and tap “Yes” to confirm.
Note: All changes made to the picture settings before the reset will be erased!
2. Change the Apple TV “Appearance”!
Apple TV also has in-built picture settings that enable the user to alter the style of viewing within the platform.
To ascertain whether the dimmed screen is a result of misconfigured Apple TV picture options, access, and settings and find the “Appearance” controller.
Follow these steps to alter Apple TV’s appearance settings in easy steps:
- Go to the homepage of the Apple TV app on your TV.
- Open the “Settings” and then go to the “General” tab.
- Next, scroll down and then select the “Appearance” tab.
- Then, choose from “Light”, “Dark” or “Automatic”.
How to Choose the Correct Appearance Option?
- If Apple TV was on “Light” until now, set it to “Automatic”.
- If Apple TV was on “Dark” until now, set it to “Light”.
- If Apple TV was on “Automatic”, test on “Light” and on “Dark“.
Note: If you aren’t seeing any major picture changes, re-launch the Apple TV platform and test.
3. Hard Reset the Samsung TV
If you’re still wondering why is Apple TV so dark on my Samsung TV, it could be due to a power issue.
The hard reset does not erase any content or settings on the Samsung TV, but only discharges the hardware and refreshes all software services of the device.
Here’s how to perform a hard reset on your Samsung TV in easy steps:
- Press the power button on the Samsung TV’s remote control.
- Wait until the device shuts down and eject the power cable.
- Wait for another 60 seconds until the Samsung TV discharges.
- Reconnect the power cable of the device to the power socket.
- Then, press “power” on the remote control and open Apple TV.
Note: Inspect the physical equipment of the Samsung TV while the device is unplugged.
4. Deactivate Samsung TV *Dark Mode*
The dark mode is a feature that automatically dims the Samsung TV’s display whenever the room gets too dark or dimly lit.
Fortunately, the dark mode can be deactivated through the Samsung TV settings.
Alert: Samsung TV only has access to dark mode while the TV is in Art Mode!
Here’s a reference on how to deactivate dark mode on an art mode Samsung TV:
- First, navigate to the Art Mode Home screen.
- Select “Art Mode Options” using the remote.
- Choose the “Night Mode” tab and press “Enter”.
- Set the “Sleep After Time” feature with the remote.
- The “Night/Dark” mode can be adjusted for 5 minutes up to 4 hours.
How to Deactivate Samsung Energy-Efficient Features?
Active energy-saving features could also dim the display of your Samsung TV. In order to fix the problem, you must make sure that the Samsung TV is not running on a reduced power mode.
On your Samsung TV, enter the Settings > Display > “Power Saver” or “Eco-Mode”.
Once in the eco-mode section, press the “activation” slider to turn off the feature.
Note: Energy-saving features could also be configured to last for up to 4 hours!
5. Remove & Reinstall the Apple TV App
To fix any underlying issues with the Apple TV application, you must uninstall the app from your Samsung TV and then download it again.
The reduced brightness problem could be caused by corrupted/glitched data with the Apple TV app or firmware-related issues.
Here’s how to reinstall the Apple TV app on your Samsung TV:
- Hold the colored button on your Samsung remote control.
- Select “Featured” next and navigate to the “Apps” section.
- Go to “Options” and choose “Delete My Apps” in the corner.
- Scroll downwards and locate the Apple TV app from the list.
- Select the Apple TV app and choose “Delete” in the corner.
- Go back to the home page and then open the content store.
- Download the Apple TV app again and sign into your profile.
Tip: If prompted, activate “Automatic Updates” for Apple TV, make sure to do so!
6. Restore the Initial Samsung Settings!
If none of the solutions so far fixed the dimmed screen within Apple TV, perhaps a factory reset on the Samsung TV is going to resolve the problem.
Keep in mind that this type of reset, unlike the power cycle, will erase all content and data on the Samsung TV, including the Apple TV.
Here’s how to initialize your Samsung TV in easy steps:
- Open the Settings of the Samsung TV device.
- Go to “General” and choose the “Reset” option.
- Next, enter the default “0000” Samsung TV PIN.
- Then, to start the reset, press the “OK” button.
Alternative Steps to Factory Reset Samsung TV!
Since many newer Samsung TV models have modified software, the steps above may not apply to you.
In that case, it’s good to attempt the following, alternative steps to factory reset the TV:
- On your Samsung TV, enter Settings > Support > “Self Diagnosis” > “Reset”.
Note: If the TV PIN doesn’t work, review the parental control settings to check the value.
7. Inspect the Samsung TV for Backlight Issues!
Another important thing to inspect before wrapping things up is whether the Samsung TV has developed backlight issues.
Any TV’s backlight consists of installed LED units inside the display and if one or more of those LEDs go bad, your TV will start experiencing picture issues.
Common Signs for a Backlight Malfunction?
- The TV turns on without a picture or black display.
- The defective LEDs on the screen appear dimmed.
- There are plenty of light spot sections on the TV.
- The defective LED bulbs have caused dark sections.
- The screen of your Samsung TV is blinking or flickering.
Note: If your Samsung TV has more than 2 or 3 of these symptoms, seek professional help!
Now we know why is Apple TV so dark on my Samsung TV, which is due to an incorrect “Appearance” setting within the Apple TV app or the Samsung TV options. The solution revolves around the inspection of all TV picture settings and factors that are involved.
Follow our blog for more!
Read Next: What Do You Get with Apple TV Subscription?
- Hisense TV Screen Mirroring Without WiFi – Fool Proof Guide - September 30, 2023
- How To Make TCL Roku TV Go Straight To Cable? - September 30, 2023
- Can I View My Wyze Camera On My PC? – Fool Proof Guide - September 30, 2023