Are you worried about the steps to transfer Ecobee to a new owner? We’ve got you covered!
The Ecobee is an incredible device, and changing owners is very easy if you are entering a house where the device is already set.
You might also be the one that needs to reset it for another person.
To transfer an Ecobee to a new owner, perform a reset and unlink it from your Ecobee account. The new owner can then set it up from scratch by generating a 4-digit code and linking it to their account.
Let’s see in detail all that you need to do!
Transfer Ecobee To New Owner – All Methods And Steps
Transferring your Ecobee to a new owner entails unregistering your account from it.
That way, the new owner won’t have access to your personal details, and they will be able to set their preferences from scratch.
1. Unlink Your Account From The Device
Managing the configurations and account details of your Ecobee thermostat can be done in multiple ways.
If you have the app, you already know about that. However, you can also unlink your account through the Ecobee site.
Method #1: Use The Ecobee’s Screen
How to reset the Ecobee password for a new homeowner? The easiest method to unlink from the Ecobee device is by doing the following:
- Find the Main Menu
- Choose Settings
- Tap Reset
- Choose Reset Schedule and Preferences
- Head back to Settings
- Choose Reset
- Click on Reset Registration
Note: Depending on your device model, tapping Reset will also show an option “Reset All.” That way, you can erase the personal settings and the account details all at once.
Method #2: Unregister Through The App
Using the app to manage your Ecobee is probably the most popular method.
It is also convenient if you have uninstalled the device but forgot to erase your account details.
Do the following:
- Open the app
- Tap the thermostat you will reset
- Click the three-bar icon
- Choose Device Settings
- Click to Remove the Device
- Confirm by clicking on the button “Remove Device.”
Tip: You can also use this method if you have already transferred the Ecobee to a new owner, but the account details are unchanged.
Method #3: Use The Ecobee Website
How to reset the Ecobee for a new owner? Suppose that you think it is more convenient going to the Ecobee website.
Or, for some reason, you can’t use the screen or the app. Fortunately, Ecobee allows you to unregister devices by accessing your account on the website.
- Head to ecobee.com
- Click on Settings
- Choose Reset Schedule and Preferences
- Select a new button saying Reset Schedule and Preference.
- Tap the account icon
- Click on My Account
- Find Unregister Thermostat.
- Select the unit you need to reset
- Choose Unregister
Note: This method is a fantastic additional way of unregistering remotely!
Method #4: Send A Request To Ecobee
Suppose you have lost access to your account details and need to transfer your Ecobee to a new owner. In that situation, you will need to contact the Ecobee support staff.
The process is this:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Explain the situation;
- Remember that you need to prove you are the Ecobee owner somehow.
The method is also available if you have just bought a used Ecobee and the details have not been wiped clean. Sending a picture of the Ecobee to prove you own it might be enough.
Note: Sending an email to Ecobee is also necessary when the thermostat fails to download a firmware update. It is impossible to check for updates using the app or the device.
Method #5: Use The Reset Button
It is also possible that your Ecobee model has a button that serves the purpose of resetting the device to its factory defaults. That is simply perfect when transferring to a new owner.
Here are the steps (if the button is available):
- Locate the button on top of the device;
- Hold it for 5 seconds;
- Release and wait for the device to restart.
2. Register A New Account
If you are the new owner of the Ecobee thermostat and the device has been successfully reset to factory default, it is time to register your account.
Perhaps you do not yet have an Ecobee account, so let’s get into it.
Method #1: Use The Device’s Screen
One of the ways you can register your Ecobee is through the device’s screen. The process takes only a few minutes.
You will receive a code to help you set up the app.
- Wake up your thermostat;
- Tap on the hamburger menu (bottom left);
- Choose “Registration”;
- Connect to your Wi-Fi (remember to connect to a 2.4GHz network);
- A 4-digit code should show up if the registration process is complete.
Right now, your Ecobee is already ready for use. It is not connected to the app, but you can change its configurations to make your house cozy.
Method #2: Use The App
If you don’t want to rely solely on the device, you will want to connect the Ecobee to your phone. To do that, you will have to first download the Ecobee app.
After downloading the app, do the following:
- Launch the Ecobee app;
- Tap on “Create an account”;
- Provide all details necessary (name and emails);
- Tap again on “Create account”;
- You need to choose a name for your home;
- Provide your home address
Note that if you provide your home address, the app may also require access to location data. That might be tricky if your phone has safety restrictions. However, you must allow it.
Add The Ecobee
Do you remember the 4-digit code generated on Method #1? Now we are going to use it.
Do the following:
- Tap “Add a device” on the app;
- Proceed to “Register a device”;
- The app should recognize your Ecobee on the network;
- Then enter the 4-digit code;
The app will ask for details about your house, such as size, number of bedrooms, type of floor, etc. Those details help optimize heating/cooling control.
Method #3: Use The Website
If you don’t have access to the app, you can also use the website to finish the setup. The process on the site is very similar to that of the app.
Here is how it goes:
- Go to the Ecobee website;
- Locate the “Register thermostat” page;
- Choose the thermostat model you are registering;
- Enter the 4-digit code generated on the device’s screen;
- Choose “Next”;
- Enter your info as required;
- Go back to the thermostat and click on “OK.”
The website has some functions very similar to the app. Also, through the app and website, you can register and unregister the device from your account.
3. Configure Additional Features
The Ecobee account provides some additional features that you might find useful when you first register. We will help you set them up too.
Option #1: Add More Thermostats To Your Account
If you have added the first thermostat and are wondering how to add additional devices to the account, here you go:
- Log into the Ecobee site;
- Select the Profile icon (it has the outline of a person);
- Tap on “Add thermostat”;
- Enter the registration code generated by the new thermostat;
- Click “Next”;
- Enter the necessary info;
- Tap “OK” on the thermostat.
Option #2: Add Other Members
Suppose that you live in a house with other adults that also should be able to control the thermostat remotely.
In that case, you would probably like to add them as app members.
You can do that by following these steps:
- Open the Ecobee app or site;
- Tap on “Account”;
- Click on “Manage homes”;
- Select the current home of your thermostat(s);
- Tap on “home members”;
- Select “Invite new member”;
- Click on “Send invite.”
How to transfer Ecobee to a new owner? The process is simpler than you might think since you simply need to reset the device and erase all your data.
After that, the new owner can start adding their accounts and preferences. We also have other articles covering curiosities about the Ecobee!
Read Next: Ecobee Says Equipment Running But It’s Not?
- Kidde Smoke Detector Blinking Red? (Don’t Panic, Fix Now!) - February 9, 2024
- SimpliSafe Doorbell Yellow Light? (Surefire Fixes!) - February 9, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Not Responding? (Fix Now!) - February 9, 2024