Wondering why Sony TV Airplay not working? Don’t worry, we know what’s going on!
Sony TV’s Airplay feature allows users to cast their smart screens onto their TV. So far so good but many users repeatedly reported issues with the Airplay on Sony TV.
If you are experiencing any sort of inconvenience, bug or any sort of issue continue reading this guide.
Sony TV Airplay won’t work due to different factors such as Airplay compatibility issues, incorrect Airplay code, poor network connection, or outdated Sony TV.
The solution is simple and involved an individual addressing all aforementioned possibilities!
Let’s continue to unwrap more detail about Airplay on Sony TV!
How to Set Up Airplay on Sony TV – Correctly?
- Press the Source button on the Sony TV remote.
- Then select “Edit” and go left to select “Airpaly”.
- Press the “Back” button and enter into Airplay.
- Then select “AirPlay and HomeKit Settings”.
- Ensure that “AirPlay” is set to the “ON” state.
Next Steps: The next step is to go into the Control Center of your Apple device and select “Screen Mirroring” to discover, connect and cast to the Sony TV.
Sony TV Airplay Not Working? – Easy Solutions!
If Airplay is not working on your Sony TV, try the following troubleshooting method to fix it!
1. Check for TV Compatibility
It’s important to know whether your Sony TV supports Airplay since only some recent as well as specific models have support for this feature.
Therefore, your Sony TV must be must compatible with Airplay, and only then proceed with more complex troubleshooting.
The following Sony TV models are compatible with Airplay:
- XBR 800H Series
- XBR 900H Series
- XBR 950H Series
- XBR A8H Series
- XBR A9S Series
- XBR Z8H Series
Info: If your device model is not one of the Sony TV models mentioned above, proceed with updating the software on your Sony TV.
Sony has stated that many other models can use Airplay if their software is updated to the most recent version.
2. Power Cycle your Setup!
The next best step, having in mind how software bugs impact functionality, is to power cycle your Sony TV as well as the mirroring device.
This is a simple operation, does not delete files, and only discharges your device allowing all services to restart freshly!
Power Cycle – Sony TV – Streaming Device:
- Turn off both your Sony TV and streaming device.
- Tip: Use the Power button to shut down phones!
- Disconnect the Sony TV from the power outlet.
- Keep both devices off/unplugged for 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the Sony TV directly to a wall outlet.
- Turn on your Airplay device and test mirroring!
When your both devices restart, then check for the Airplay feature on your device!
3. Use a Consistent Network (WiFi)
You can only use Airplay if your Sony TV and streaming device are both connected to the same and stable WiFi network.
It’s likely that one of your devices is experiencing network outages or connectivity issues, which is why Airplay isn’t working.
- For WiFi, we recommend using the 2.4 GHz WiFi thread of your network router!
Follow the steps below to optimize your internet, if anything is unclear:
- Unplug the network router from the power outlet.
- Wired: disconnect the Ethernet cable on both sides.
- Wait for 60 seconds for the router to power cycle.
- Reconnect the cable back to the TV and router.
- Alternatively, reconnect the Sony TV to the WiFi.
Then, don’t forget to double-check whether your smartphone or other Airplay device you have, is connected to the same WiFi as the SonyTV. This is essential for the AIrplay feature to work!
Tip: You can test your internet speed for outages, delay or lag with a free speed test online!
4. Reset the Airplay HomeKit
Sometimes the HomeKit feature on your Sony TV is experiencing bugs, which ultimately leads to many features, including AirPlay, not working.
It’s unclear where the issue comes from but we know that restarting the HomeKit manually, typically solves Airplay functionality problems!
Here is how to reset the Airplay Homekit on Sony TV:
- Connect the Sony TV to the WiFi or Ethernet.
- Then Navigate to your TV Settings page.
- Locate and tap on the Device Preferences.
- Then choose the AirPlay & Homekit settings.
- Tap on AirPlay to disable the feature.
- Restart your Sony TV using the remote.
- Then come back and enable the Airplay.
If you see the Setup Homekit option while resetting Airplay, then you have to set up your TV by scanning the QR code from the Home mobile app.
When you have finished configuring all of the Airplay settings, check to see if the Airplay is operational.
If Airplay is still not working, continue reading to try other methods!
5. Update Sony TV Firmware!
If the Airplay not working on Sony TV, then updating the firmware version should no longer be delayed, so it’s time to carry out any pending versions.
Simply check for the most recent updates available to carry out on your Sony TV to get Airplay working again.
Note: Updating the Sony TV software requires a fast and stable network connection!
Here is how to check for the Sony TV software update:
- Locate and press the Home button from the TV remote.
- Navigate to the Sony TV Settings by clicking on the gear.
- Find and tap on the Device Preferences option.
- Choose the About option from the preferences menu.
- Tap on the Update button and check for the latest update.
- If a new update is available, then it will install automatically.
How To Update Airplay Device Software?
- To Update iOS Device:
- Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install.
- To Update Mac Device:
- Apple Menu > System Preferences > Software Update > Update.
Reminder: Don’t forget to test whether Airplay will now work on your Sony TV when up to date!
6. Factory Reset the Sony TV
If you’ve tried everything in this guide and your Sony TV Airplay is still not working, the factory reset is the final and ultimate solution.
Although this method is “last-resort” since permanently deletes all of your TV’s saved data, settings, and preferences, it’s the best-working solution!
Here is how to factory reset the Sony TV in easy steps:
- Navigate to your Sony TV Settings.
- Tap on the Device Preferences.
- Choose the “Reset” option.
- Tap on the Factory Reset.
- Choose to Erase Everything.
- Tap on Yes for confirmation.
The factory reset process shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes and when the operation is over the Sony TV will automatically restart.
In the meantime, be patient and don’t interact with the TV, until the reset is over, after which you would need to carry out the initial setup.
Why Sony TV Airplay Code Not Working?
One of the fundamental rules is that you need to enter the Airplay Code from your TV to use the Airplay feature on your Sony TV.
However, if the Airplay code is not working, there may be a problem with your device or you may be giving the incorrect code to the mirroring device.
There are two methods that you should attempt straight away!
Method #1 Restart & Retry the Airplay Code:
- Restart your Sony TV by turning it OFF for about 60 seconds.
- Restart your phone by using the power button for a shutdown.
- Head over to your TV Settings and turn ON the Airplay feature.
- From your smartphone, enable the Screen Mirroring option.
- Choose your Sony TV from the available devices pop-up.
- Enter the correct Airplay Code displays on your Sony TV.
Method #2 Accept The Airplay Privacy Settings:
- Locate and press the Help button from the TV remote.
- Choose the Status & Diagnostics option from the menu.
- Tap on the Privacy Settings and then accept the prompt.
- Locate and press the Input button from the TV remote control.
- Choose and tap on the AirPlay option when you’re prompted.
- Your Sony TV is ready to use Airplay, without entering a code.
Sony TV Airplay Still Not Working?
In case you’ve tried all of the solutions to no avail, the best course of action would be to contact Sony TV Support for more help and additional troubleshooting.
Whenever your Sony TV Airplay not working, ensure that your devices are compatible with Airplay and then perform a power circulation. In case that doesn’t help, verify that you’re using the same WiFi for both devices, and in case nothing helps – factory reset!
Check out our blog to find out more guides on Sony TV!
- Hisense TV Screen Mirroring Without WiFi – Fool Proof Guide - September 30, 2023
- How To Make TCL Roku TV Go Straight To Cable? - September 30, 2023
- Can I View My Wyze Camera On My PC? – Fool Proof Guide - September 30, 2023