In view of the “PS4 power button not working”, we’ve been able to come up with multiple clever ways to address the problem. Stay with us, to learn all of the best workarounds!
When the power button of your PS4 doesn’t seem to be working, check if the console is receiving power and that the DualShock 4 controller is programmed.
Then attempt all of the possible ways to turn on your PS4 and if nothing works, replace the power adapter!
Let’s dig deeper!
Ways to Turn On a PlayStation 4 Console?
There are three different ways to turn on a PlayStation 4. You could either do it by pressing the button on the console itself or pressing another button on the DualShock controller of your PS4.
Option 1: DualShock “PS” Button
- Find the button with the PS logo on your controller and press it to turn on the console. It’s also important to make sure the controller is in range.
Option 2: PlayStation4 Power Button
- Find the small power button above the disc compartment on your PS4 console device. Press the button and the console should beep before starting up.
Option 3: “HDMI Link”
- Activating “HDMI Link” in the software settings of the PS4 will allow the console to start up with the connected TV, when the TV remote’s power button is pressed.
Tip: Try all possible methods to turn on your PlayStation!
6 Clever Ways to Fix Power Button On PS4 Not Working?
Tip: In case you’re unable to turn on the PS4, follow the steps in consecutive order!
1. Secure the Power Cord
Perhaps, the PlayStation’s power equipment is loose and the console isn’t receiving any power from the electrical outlet.
Reinstall the power adapter into the wall outlet by plugging it securely and making sure that the electrical poles of the cable are going all the way in.
- Disconnect the power cable of your PS4 and plug it back in, securely!
Alert: Applying too much pressure might impact the cable’s connector!
2. Power Cycle the PS4
The next step is to power cycle the PlayStation console. It’s an easy and effective solution to address any power issues with the console, only possible by completely stopping the power!
Here’s how to power cycle your PS4 easily:
- Unplug the power cable of the PlayStation from the outlet.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes, while the console is unplugged.
- Reconnect the power cable of the DualShock back into power!
Additional Tip: Long-Press the Power Button!
While your PS4 is unplugged, press and hold the power button on the PS4 console for about 30 seconds.
It’s a good way to discharge the console even better and guarantee that all mechanical components will be refreshed upon starting the PlayStation.
3. Try a Different Outlet
It’s likely that the wall outlet of your PlayStation no longer functions or cannot supply enough electricity for your console.
To resolve this problem, you should plug the console into an alternative power source and then check if you could turn on the device with any method.
Here’s how to plug your PlayStation 4 into a different outlet:
- Disconnect the console’s power cable.
- Unplug the HDMI cable from the TV.
- Place the console near another outlet.
- Connect the power adapter (only).
- Press the power button on the console.
Note: You don’t have to plug in the PS4’s HDMI cable while testing the power since you would know if the console is working when it “beeps”.
4. Rebuild the System Database
Whenever the PS4 power button not working, rebuilding the system database may help with software issues with the controller’s power button and the PlayStation as well.
The tool will allow you to format the system settings of your PlayStation, without erasing any information.
- To rebuild the database of the PS4 system, you must turn on the console first!
Here’s how to rebuild the system database on PS4:
- Press “PS” on your PS4 controller.
- Scroll down and choose “Rebuild Database”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
How to Turn On PS4 Without Controller?
- Solution: “HDMI Link”
To enable the HDMI Link go to Settings > System > “Enabled HDMI Device Link” which will allow your PlayStation to start up corresponding to your TV.
This means that when you turn on the associated (via HDMI) TV, your PlayStation will also start up!
5. Initialize the PS4
The “Initialize PS4” option will erase the system of your console and then prompt you to set up the device from scratch.
There’s no software-related problem where the factory reset cannot be fixed as it will remove any bugs with the functionality of your PlayStation!
- In order to factory reset your PS4, the device must be turned on!
Follow these instructions to initialize the system of your PS4:
- From the homepage of your PS4, head into the Settings menu.
- Navigate to the “System” tab by scrolling down a little in the settings.
- Go to the bottom of the “System” tab and choose “Initialize PS4”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish factory resetting your PS4.
Alert: Pressing buttons on the controller or unplugging the console from the power will interrupt the initialization of the PS4 system!
6. Replace the Power Adapter!
Chances are that the equipment of your PS4 is starting to malfunction.
If your console is having power fluctuations due to the power cable, you may notice that in some cases the PlayStation will refuse to start up, and won’t “beep”.
This makes users things that the power button is faulty.
- Simply purchase a replacement 3 Pin C13 plug power adapter for your PS4
Info: PlayStations do not use a complicated or expensive power adapter, but mostly universal, that can be bought online or from any local tech store.
How to Fix When PS4 Controller Power Button Not Working?
Alert: Dropping your controller on a hard surface or spilling water over it could damage the hardware.
If your PS4 controller has undergone serious damage and no longer looks in proper condition, this might have been lethal.
1. Turn the Controller ON/OFF
To quickly resolve any issues with your PS4 controller you must reboot the device!
How to Shut Down a DualShock Controller?
Hold the “PS” button for 10-15 seconds. This is the universal way to cause a DualShock controller to shut down until further notice.
How to Turn On a DualShock Controller?
Press the “PS” button once and wait for the DualShock to blink. Your PS4 controller’s front LED should blink once when the device has been turned on!
2. Charge the Controller
If your DualShock is running low on battery, some of the buttons may stop working.
Recharge the controller by connecting it to a microUSB charger and wait for at least 20-25 minutes until the device has enough power to work with.
- DualShock controllers use universal microUSB charges from mobile devices!
DualShock Not Charging?
It’s important to make sure that the charging port on your DualShock is not obstructed by any debris.
As controllers are used in the long-term or kept in dusty spots, dust, and debris could accumulate in the charging port and prevent the charging.
3. Reset the Dualshock Controller
The PS4 DualShock controller can be reset by holding a button on the panel of the device.
This will erase the existing pairing configuration of the controller, allowing the device to establish a new connection with the console.
- Hold the reset button on the back of the DualShock for 3-5 seconds!
How to Pair a DualShock 4 Controller?
Since the factory reset is going to unpair the controller from your console, you must connect the DualShock to your PS4 and press the “PS” button.
This will reconnect the controller to your console and create a new wireless pairing profile!
Info: To turn on your PS4 using the controller, press the “PS” button when the PlayStation is not running!
PS4 Power Button Still Not Working?
In case you’ve attempted everything in this guide but the power button is still not working, it’s best to contact PlayStation Support.
Share the issue you’ve been facing or contact your PS4 supplier in an attempt to put the device’s warranty in use!
Hence, to fix when the PS4 power button not working, secure the power equipment and outlet first and then power cycle the console.
If the problem persists, refresh the system of the PlayStation, unplug the HDMI cable, and reset the DualShock 4 controller! Follow us for more PS4 content!
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023
- How to Connect Vizio TV to WiFi Without Menu Button Easily? - September 10, 2023