Wondering why the Onn Roku TV black screen with sound? No worries!
Sound means good. The Onn Roku TV is functional and what we need to identify is why the video is interrupted.
In most cases, the problem is related to a console, computer, or host device’s HDMI connection, but we made sure to include other possibilities as well.
When the Onn Roku TV screen is black but the sound is there, users should disconnect ALL third-party devices and test for the problem on local channels. In case that doesn’t help, the Onn Roku TV can be reset by the in-built RESET button.
What Does Onn TV Black Screen With Sound Mean?
If your Onn Roku TV is on a black screen, but the sound of the broadcast/media could still be heard, it means that the video signal has been lost.
This issue most often occurs with third-party devices that connect to your TV via cable connection.
Here’s what a black screen with sound on Onn Roku TV could mean:
- There has been a problem with the video signal of the device
- The broadcast/media delivers a black screen
- A power issue with your Onn Roku TV
The sound is a prime indication that your TV is not dead so there is nothing to worry about or draw conclusions for.
Next, we’re about to address each and every possibility to understand what’s wrong and how to solve the problem in a matter of minutes!
Let’s now learn how to fix your Onn Roku TV black screen problem in simple steps:
How to Fix When Onn Roku TV Screen Black With Sound?
The solution includes a step against any sort of issues with the video input with your Onn Roku TV.
This is why it’s important not to skip any of the solutions! Let’s jump right in.
Solution #1 Soft Reset TV
If your TV still outputs sound, it means that it is still working and it could respond to the remote.
If you haven’t tried that yet, you could soft reset the device, using your Onn Roku TV hardware remote to reboot ALL services, and hopefully, the video will come back.
Here’s how to soft reset your Onn Roku TV using the remote in easy steps:
- Grab your Onn Roku TV remote and point it towards the TV.
- Press the power button on your remote.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the TV is OFF.
- Turn the TV back on using the power button on the remote
- Check if the issue is still there.
If your TV screen flickers, this is a good sign. It means that it is receiving and losing signal and most often indicates a problem with a cable.
In case you’ve got a console or a DVR connected to the TV, you would know that is the culprit.
Tip: Keep the TV turned OFF for at least 60 seconds for the power cycle to be effective!
Solution #2 Change the TV Source
Users believe that this problem could be caused by inappropriate video signals sent from another device.
The next method that you should attempt is to change the Source of the video input which happens by using the remote.
Here’s how to change the TV source:
- Check if your TV still outputs audio and whether it is turned on.
- Get your Roku remote and press the “Source” button.
- When the Source Menu appears on the screen, choose “TV” as the default source.
- Check if the black screen problem on your Onn Roku TV still persists.
There’s a high chance that this problem has something to do with a plugged-in device to your TV and problems with the source.
Selecting your TV’s default source (Watch TV) should get the problem resolved and localize the cause of the issue.
Solution #3 Power Cycle the TV
The next step is to shift our attention towards the Onn Roku TV and power cycle the television to discharge the device and restart ALL services.
This will cause the software of the TV to refresh, hopefully fixing the black screen problem!
Here’s how to perform the power cycle process on your Onn Roku TV:
- With your Onn Roku TV remote, turn the TV OFF.
- Unplug the power adapter of your Onn Roku TV.
- Wait for 5 minutes while the power adapter is disconnected.
- Reconnect the power supply of your Onn Roku TV back to the source.
- Turn on the TV and verify that the correct source is selected.
Once the power cycle is over, test for the problem on local TV channels!
Solution #4 Disconnect Third-Party Devices
The black screen with the sound issue is mainly caused by third-party devices connected to your TVs, such as consoles, computers, and sound systems (subwoofers and soundbars).
- Your TV is OFF, but the soundbar is playing a song!
- Your TV is OFF, but the PlayStation is in a game.
- The TV is ON, in the menu, but the sound comes from the computer
Here are what devices you should disconnect from your TV along with their cables:
- Consoles and Desktop computers!
- Audio devices (home theaters, soundbars, subwoofers, headphones, etc.)
- Streaming sticks (Firestick, Roku, etc.)
- Bluetooth drives and other wireless receivers
Once you’ve made sure that none of these devices are connected to your TV, double-check the selected source and check if the issue is resolved.
Again, use Watch TV (local channels) to test whether the video on your screen will appear.
Note: Keep ALL third-party devices disconnected for the rest of the guide!
Solution #5 Resolve Power Fluctuations
The power fluctuations are what cause your Onn Roku TV to emit only a fracture of a sound, while the screen always remains black.
This happens when the TV turns ON and OFF due to a power malfunction related to the wiring or source.
Here’s how to fix your TV’s power problems easily:
- Plug the TV into another power outlet
- Re-connect the power adapter!
- Replace the power adapter of your Onn Roku TV
Tip: Avoid using power strips to connect the Onn Roku TV and use a standalone wall outlet.
Solution #6 Factory Reset the TV
There is one last thing that you should attempt before searching for help regarding the black screen problem.
In the final step, you will learn how to perform a factory reset on your TV.
The reset can be done by either using the remote to navigate through the software options, which we understand is impossible without a video or using the reset button.
If you’re certain that you want to reset your TV, here’s how to do it:
- Make sure your TV is working (you can hear the audio).
- Go to the back of the TV.
- Search for the Reset button near the HDMI and audio jacks.
- Once you’ve found the button, press it and hold it.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Release the Reset button and wait for your Onn Roku TV to reset.
Once the reset is over your video could be back but your TV will be restored to factory settings.
That means ALL settings such as WiFi, Video Picture, and configurations will be brought back to their default values.
Note: Feel free to reconnect the third-party devices when the video picture is back!
Onn TV Black Screen With Sound Problem Is Still There…
If you’re still experiencing the black screen problem with your Onn Roku TV after attempting all of our solutions, the problem is most likely to be hardware related.
There isn’t much left for you to do, except contact your manufacturer for a repair if your warranty is still active.
You could also advise a TV technician and book a scheduled session for inspecting the TV backlight. Maybe that’s the reason why the TV only shows a black screen!
Good luck and don’t forget to share what you’ve already tried in this guide!
Hence, the Onn Roku TV screen is black but the sound is there when a connected device video transfer is disconnected or when the broadcast media simply has no video. The solution includes addressing each possibility and identifying the cause!
The Onn Roku TV black screen with sound problem directly suggests that your TV is working but something is preventing the video.
In most cases this video issue is related to a third-party device so by disconnecting all of them and going to local channels, you’ll be able to understand what’s wrong.
We hope that you’ve learned something new and for more relevant guides, check our blog!
- Vicks Humidifier Not Steaming? – (Here’s How to Fix!) - October 20, 2023
- Kindle Paperwhite Not Waking Up? – (Try These Solutions) - October 20, 2023
- Why Is My Hisense TV Blinking Red Light? – (Instant Fix) - October 20, 2023