A Maytag Bravos washer stuck on sensing won’t allow you to wash your clothes because some electrical or mechanical issue is in place.
You will have to invest some time in investigating the issue.
The first thing you must do to get rid of the Maytag Bravos stuck on sensing is reset it and check if it is overloaded or not level on the floor.
Further, it might be necessary to disassemble the machine and replace some faulty components, such as the lid lock, shift actuator, or inlet valve.
Have you ever disassembled one of your appliances to replace parts? The guide below will help you with precise instructions so you do it safely.
Maytag Bravos Washer Stuck On Sensing – Reasons
Is your Bravos Maytag washer stuck on sensing? You might be wondering whether there are issues with the electronic or mechanical components.
It could be either, and most likely, there is a part that needs fixing or replacement.
Learn more about the common causes of the issue:
✅ Overloaded Machine
If you are lucky, the issue on your machine is just that you have overloaded it beyond the number of clothes it can handle.
✅ Bad Shift Actuator
The shift actuator is responsible for putting the machine into the correct washing mode. When it fails, the machine can’t respond to the programmed cycle.
✅ Damaged Clutch and Motor
The clutch and rotor in a washing machine work together to control the spinning and agitation of the drum. When damaged, that is not possible.
✅ Water Inlet Valve
It is possible that the valve is malfunctioning or is beyond repair. If that happens, the machine is stuck on sensing because it can’t fill with water.
How To Fix The Maytag Bravos Stuck On Sensing
Most of the issues we’ve listed above will require you to disassemble the washer and probably replace parts.
However, we will first help you with solutions that don’t require that, just in case.
Then, if those don’t work, we will show you how to replace parts with all safety needed.
1. Perform Initial Checks
Whenever your Maytag Bravos is stuck on some function, such as sensing, you first must reset it.
Resetting it is very simple:
- Unplug it from power;
- Let it rest for at least 5 minutes;
- Plug it again.
Resetting will work when the issue is simply a quick electrical malfunction between the control board and the mechanical parts.
Check The Clothes Level And Floor Level
While you unplug the machine, it is a good idea to check if you haven’t put too many clothes on it.
Some machines will wash clothes beyond the recommended, but Maytag Bravos won’t.
Further, the Maytag Bravos also gets stuck in the sensing phase when the washer is not leveled on the floor.
Therefore, you must check its “legs” and adjust it to ensure that.
2. Check The Lid Lock
One potential reason why the Maytag Bravos is stuck on sensing is that the lid lock is malfunctioning.
When that happens, you will notice that the door doesn’t close all the way through. The appliance will sense it and won’t start a cycle because it would be unsafe.
First, it is necessary to remove the control panel so you can access the lid lock:
- Remove the three screws in the back of the washer’s control panel;
- Rotate the panel forward;
- Detach board’s connector;
- Release the panel and put it aside;
Remove The Damaged Lid Lock
With the panel put aside, do the following:
- Shut the lid with the help of tape;
- Use a pencil to mark the washer’s top (6 and a half inches from the sides);
- Stick a putty knife into the top parallel joint under the marks to disengage the tension clips;
- Unscrew the lid lock and release wires;
- Pull plastic retainer to release lid lock wires;
- Trace wires to the control board and remove the connector;
Install The New Lid Lock
Next, it is time to install the new lid lock:
- Position and secure the replacement part with screws;
- Snap wires beneath retaining clips;
- Push the retainer inside the hole;
- Plug the board’s connector;
- Depress the washer’s top so it clicks over retaining clips;
- Attach the board’s touch connector;
- Put the control panel back in place.
3. Inspect The Shift Actuator
If the lid is fine, the shift actuator might be the next culprit. That is because the shift actuator can lock all of the washer’s functions when it is defective.
You will have to find it and inspect its appearance. Does it look damaged? Then replace it.
This part is very easy to replace:
- Place the washer in a way you can access its bottom;
- Locate the shift actuator;
- Remove its cover;
- Detach the modular power connector;
- Remove all the screws holding it in place;
- Remove the damaged part.
Install The Replacement
Next, all you have to do is this:
- Put the replacement shift actuator in place;
- Screw it in;
- Connect the wires to it;
- Assemble the cover.
4. Assess The Inlet Valve
The inlet valve is another potential cause behind the Maytag Bravos being stuck on sensing. Since the washer can’t pull water, it won’t start the cycle.
You will have to find the valve, test it and determine if replacement is necessary.
Here is how:
- Turn off the power to the washing machine;
- Turn off the water supply to the washing machine;
- Unscrew the top panel and control panel of the washing machine;
- Disconnect the hoses from the inlet valve;
- Remove the screws that secure the inlet valve;
- Disconnect the wire harness from the inlet valve.
Test The Valve
Now you must test it:
- Grab a multimeter;
- Connect it to the inlet valve;
- Test for continuity.
If continuity on it is fine, the inlet valve is not the issue. Otherwise, replace it.
How To Install The Replacement
You can easily get a replacement inlet valve at any online retailer or specialized shop.
Once you have it:
- Place the new inlet valve;
- Reconnect the wire harness;
- Secure the new inlet valve with screws;
- Reconnect the hoses to the inlet valve;
- Reassemble the other components;
- Turn on the water supply and check for leaks;
Now it is time to check if the washer will start a cycle.
5. Replace The Clutch And Rotor
Replacing the clutch and rotor on a Maytag Bravos washing machine is a fairly involved process.
You will need to follow the steps closely to remove and replace the parts without compromising other parts of the washer.
Here is how you must proceed:
- Unplug the washing machine and turn off the water supply;
- Unscrew the top panel of the washing machine;
- Disconnect the wire harnesses that are connected to the control panel;
- Lift the control panel and remove it;
Remove And Check The Parts
Now you can locate the rotor and clutch assembly. They are located at the bottom of the washing machine drum.
- Use a socket wrench to remove the bolt that holds the rotor in place;
- Pull the rotor off the shaft and set it aside;
- Use pliers to remove the snap ring that holds the clutch in place;
- Remove the clutch from the shaft;
Replace The Components
Before replacing the parts, you must inspect them. A good sign that they need replacement is if they are too worn out or chipped away.
- Place the new clutch onto the shaft;
- Secure it with a new snap ring;
- Place the new rotor onto the shaft;
- Secure it with the bolt;
- Reattach the control panel.
What We Learned
Now you know that a Maytag Bravos washer stuck on sensing might indicate some serious problem in a vital component.
Fortunately, replacing broken parts at home is not a difficult task. Also, remember that you can call Maytag support if the washer is still under warranty.
Read Next: Maytag Washer Not Starting?
- Vicks Humidifier Not Steaming? – (Here’s How to Fix!) - October 20, 2023
- Kindle Paperwhite Not Waking Up? – (Try These Solutions) - October 20, 2023
- Why Is My Hisense TV Blinking Red Light? – (Instant Fix) - October 20, 2023