A Maytag washer not starting is an annoying problem that will prevent you from doing your laundry as intended.
There could be different reasons behind it, but some are easy to fix without technical assistance.
Fixing a Maytag washer not starting can involve deactivating its control lock or resetting it. Alternatively, replacing parts such as the lid switch, power cord, or control panel might be necessary.
Doing all of the above will only require you to follow detailed instructions.
However, replacing parts means you must buy new parts, which needs you to carefully check your washer model and acquire the correct components.
Maytag Washer Not Starting – Reasons
When your Maytag washer can turn on but not start, you must investigate carefully and determine what is going wrong.
Fortunately, a lot of knowledge is available on the matter, and we will help you find the best solution.
Maytag washer troubleshooting will not start can include a lot of different reasons, mechanical or electrical.
However, here are the most common causes behind the problem:
✅ Faulty Control Panel
If there is power and no mechanical parts seem to be blocking the machine, there may be an electrical failure in the panel.
✅ Lid Switch Failure
Washers nowadays will only start after internally checking a few safety measures. If the lid switch fails to engage, the washer will understand it is unsafe to start a cycle.
✅ Control Lock
Maytag washers have a control lock feature. When active, it prevents anyone from starting the machine.
✅ Defective Power Cord
Perhaps the power cord can turn the machine on but does not supply enough power to start a cycle.
How To Fix The Maytag Washer Not Starting
As you’ve seen, the causes behind a Maytag Washer not starting are multiple.
Thus, we can begin by trying straightforward solutions and advancing to solutions that require more hard work.
However, at the end of this article, your Maytag washer must be working correctly again.
Solution #1: Deactivate The Control Lock
The Maytag’s Control Lock is a feature that will lock every other control panel’s function once it is active.
Typically, you would lock it and remember that you’ve done so.
However, if you have a child at home or bought the machine secondhand, the control lock may be active without your awareness.
Here is how you can check and deactivate the control lock:
- Check the washer’s control panel;
- The control lock button is illuminated;
- Hold the button for three seconds;
- Now all functions are re-established;
Note: Not all Maytag washers have a control lock, as some functions vary with models.
Solution #2: Reset The Washer
If the washer does not have a control lock, or if it does but dealing with it didn’t solve the issue, you might want to try resetting it.
Unlike smart devices, resetting a Maytag washer is not a drastic move. It is simple and quick but varies depending on the model.
If your washer has a digital display, do the following:
- Check the panel control;
- Hold the “Cancel” button for 5 seconds;
- Attempt starting a new washing cycle.
Alternative Reset Method
The machine can also be reset by doing something even more straightforward:
- Turn off the power;
- Unplug the appliance from the power outlet;
- Wait 3 minutes;
- Plug it back on;
- Select a new cycle and start it.
Solution #3: Check The Lid Switch
A Maytag washer might fail to start a cycle when it detects the lid switch has some sort of issue.
For example, it could be that the lid switch can’t properly close, meaning it would be unsafe for the machine to wash your clothes.
Test The Switch’s Continuity
Testing for continuity is the first step to determine whether the issue lies in the lid switch.
Then, of course, you must use a few tools to disassemble parts and get to the switch’s wires.
- Unscrew the switch’s screws.
- Remove the wires
- Set the meter’s continuity mode
- Put one probe on each of the two terminals of the switch.
- Shut the washer’s door or cover.
If a continuity reading shows up, the lid switch is OK, and you must move to the next solution.
Remove The Old Switch
However, if there is no continuity, let’s remove and replace the old switch.
Here is how to remove the damaged switch:
- Unscrew the screws on the console.
- Detach the control panel
- Uncouple the wire connection.
- Detach the spring clips
- Tilt the cabinet toward you, move it forward, and take it out
- Remove the ground screw and mounting screws
- Disengage the wire strap from the metal clamps
- Remove the old switch from the lid.
Install The New Switch
It is finally time to install the replacement switch:
- Reattach the wire connection for the new lid switch assembly;
- Use both metal clips to secure the wire strap;
- Align the primary switch with the screw holes near the lid’s opening;
- Screw it into place;
- Attach the grounding connection to reassemble the cabinet;
- Adjust the cabinet’s position until the rear panel fits.
- Reinstall the spring clips and reattach the wire connection.
- Put the control console back in place.
After installing a new switch, it is safe to say your Maytag washer will return to work properly.
Solution #4: Replace The Power Cord
The power cord could be the definitive reason for making your washer incapable of starting.
As already mentioned, it can be unable to deliver enough power. Therefore, if the machine doesn’t turn on, you must check the power cord.
Test For Resistance
If the machine turns on but doesn’t start, do the following:
- Grab a multimeter
- Set it to resistance times one;
- Touch the probes to the cord’s prongs;
If numbers fluctuate, it means the power cord is defective.
Test For Continuity
If the machine doesn’t even turn on, you must test for continuity:
- Grab a multimeter;
- Set it to continuity;
- Touch the probes to the cord’s prongs;
- If it doesn’t beep, the cord is unable to deliver power
How To Replace The Power Cord
When replacing the power cord for your washer, you must buy a replacement cord with the exact power specifications of your washer.
Once you have it, do the following:
- Inspect where the power cord is located in the washer;
- Use tools to open the washer and get to the connection;
- Disconnect the damaged power cord;
- Install the new power cord (take care with wires location);
- Place all parts removed back;
Note: After installing the new power cord, you must test it. Suppose the machine turns on, then great. However, you must also check if you can start a washing cycle.
Solution #5: Check The Control Panel
The last thing you could check is the control panel when you find the Maytag washer start button not working.
Since the start button is there, it could be an electrical malfunction that does not allow the button to communicate correctly.
Remove The Damaged Control Panel
You must note whether other buttons seem to work or not. If other buttons are also not responding, the answer here is clear.
- Unplug the washer from the electrical outlet;
- Remove the screws that secure the top panel of the washer to the cabinet;
- Slide the top panel toward the back of the washer;
- Lift the board to remove it;
- Remove the screws that secure the control panel to the top of the washer;
- Carefully disconnect the wiring harness from the back of the control panel (use pliers).
Install The Replacement
Once the damaged control panel has been removed, it is time to install the new one.
You must research and buy the correct model so no compatibility issues happen.
- Connect the wiring harness to the back of the new control panel;
- Secure it in place with the screws;
- Put everything else that you removed back in place;
- Plug the washer back into the electrical outlet.
The last step is crucial. You must check if the washer can turn on. If it does, it is time to test if it can start a washing cycle.
Note: It is not always necessary to buy the control panel's outer part. Sometimes it is possible just to replace the electrical components inside.
What We Learned
The Maytag washer not starting might be caused by a simple power issue or some other major problem.
The guide above covers both types of situations, guiding you closely so you can get your washer back to work.
- Why Does Pluto TV Play The Same Episodes? – Quick Fix Guide - September 19, 2023
- Sceptre TV HDMI Not Working? – Here’s How to Fix - September 16, 2023
- Sensi Thermostat Provisioning Error?- (Here’s How to Fix) - September 14, 2023