Wondering why Kwikset smart lock deadbolt sticking? It’s simple and here we’ll help!
The Kwikset smart lock is the best choice for homeowners but sometimes the deadbolt is sticking which causes trouble using the lock.
So, if your Kwikset smart lock deadbolt is also stuck, follow this guide by reading until the end to learn the best working solution.
When the Kwikset smart lock deadbolt is stuck, perform the door-handing process on the lock by pressing the lock button and removing the batteries.
If you continue to get the sticking lock issue, you need to inspect all involved factors as well as troubleshoot!
Let’s continue to unwrap!
Why Is Kwikset Smart Lock Getting Stuck?
There could be several factors that cause the Kwikset smart lock deadbolt to stick, including dryness, misalignment, a loose connection, and much more.
However, once you identify the potential root causes of the deadbolt sticking issue in your smart lock, you can easily resolve it.
Here are the possible factors that cause the smart lock to get stuck:
- Low or dead smart lock batteries
- Rusted or corroded lock pieces
- Lack of lubrication in the lock
- Misaligned lock door frame
- Loose hinges connection
- Incorrect installation of the lock
- Worn or corroded lock key
- Damaged smart lock system
Now that we have identified the causes, the next step is to troubleshoot your smart lock!
How To Fix When Kwikset Smart Lock Deadbolt Sticking?
Note: It is important to apply every method from this guide to get the best outcome!
1. Enter the Correct User Code!
If you have a Kwikset lock that requires a user code to open it, make sure you enter the correct user code.
However, if you enter the incorrect user code multiple times, your lock will enter lockout mode, and prevent your smart lock from functioning normally.
Simply entering the correct user code after some time will resolve the lockout issue from your lock.
If you are sure that you are using the correct code, then the issue is with your smart lock system components that need to be inspected.
Don’t stop. Continue reading and try the other methods…
2. Perform a Door Handing Process!
Maybe you have performed the door-handing process in the wrong way, which is causing the lock to be stuck because it can’t decide which side to move to.
You simply need to repeat the door-handing process on your lock to properly unstick it.
Here is how to perform a door-handing process on Kwikset smart lock:
- Take out the smart lock battery cover.
- Remove the battery pack from the lock.
- Press and then hold the Lock button.
- Tip: It’s located on the smart lock keypad.
- While holding, reinsert the battery pack.
- Then release the Lock button.
- Reinstall the battery cover back.
- Again, press the Lock button once more.
- The lock will go through the door-handling.
Info: Once the lock goes through the handling process, it’ll automatically unstick the deadbolt, and your problem should be resolved.
3. Apply a Dry Lubricant
If your Kwikset smart lock is still sticking after performing the door handing process, it is likely that your lock is dry and causing it to stick.
All you have to do is spray the dry lubricant to help your lock work more smoothly and without sticking.
Note: Be sure to only use dry lubricant on your Kwikset smart lock!
Here is how to use a dry lubricant on Kwikset smart lock:
- Take out the battery pack from the Kwikset smart lock.
- Clean the lock using a soft and dry cloth – remove dust.
- Shake the can of dry lubricant to mix the lubricant properly!
- Hold the can upright and spray a small amount into the lock.
- (Alert) Be careful to not spray too much!
- Reinsert the battery pack into the lock and check the deadbolt.
Reminder: Lastly, don’t forget to wipe away any excess lubricant from the smart lock!
4. Install & Test with Fresh Batteries!
Another possibility is that a low battery in your Kwikset smart lock is causing your lock to malfunction.
Don’t worry, simply inserting a new set of batteries into your lock and then performing a door-handing process will get you out of this mess.
Here is how to install a fresh battery in Kwikset smart lock:
- Take out the battery cover from the lock.
- Remove the battery from the compartment.
- Note: The lock uses a CR2025 battery pack.
- While installing the battery, hold the Lock button.
- Release the Lock button when the bolt moves.
Note: Make sure to apply the door-handing process after installing new batteries!
Latch Bolt Doesn’t Extend/Retract?
- Take out the battery pack.
- Wait for about 20 seconds.
- Reinsert the battery pack.
- Reconnect the battery cover back.
Perform A Beep Test!
Check to see if the lock keypad buttons beep when you press them. If not, then the issue is with your lock keypad and needs professional assistance.
If the buttons are beeping on clicking but the deadbolt is still sticking, continue reading this guide.
5. Inspect the Door Alignment!
If your Kwikset smart lock deadbolt door is not aligned properly, it can cause the deadbolt to stick.
So, without any hassle, you need to check if the door is leveled, the hinges, and the strike plate to do adjustments where necessary. Don’t worry, it can be done very easily.
Here is how to inspect the door alignment for the Kwikset deadbolt sticking:
- Close the door and try to lock using the key or keypad.
- Check the bolt to see if it is aligned with the strike plate.
- Inspect the strike plate on the frame for any damage.
- Make sure that the strike plate screws are tightened.
- Check if the door aligns properly with the door frame.
- Also, check for the gaps between the door and the frame.
- Next, test the door latch by opening and closing the door.
- Test the hinges on the door and make sure that they are tight.
If you find any issues with the door alignment, hinges, or strike plate, make sure to adjust or replace them and then check for the deadbolt sticking!
6. Inspect the DeadBolt Size!
It is crucial that the bolt hole on your smart lock door is at least 1 inch deep to allow the bolt to fully extend.
Maybe your door bolt isn’t deep enough and that’s why it causing the deadbolt to stuck, which is causing all this fuss…
- Simply check the hole to see if there is anything stuck that restricts the bolt.
Here is how to inspect the Kwikset deadbolt hole size:
- Remove the lock from the door by unscrewing it.
- Next, measure the size of the deadbolt hole.
- Make sure that the deadbolt hole is 1 inch deep.
- Check the alignment of the deadbolt hole with the latch.
- Proceed accordingly:
✅ If the deadbolt hole is too small or too shallow, make some adjustments!
✅ If the deadbolt hole is misaligned, adjust the strike plate or door frame.
How To Reset Premis Touchscreen Smart Lock?
If you’re using a Kwikset Premis smart lock, there is an easy way to perform a factory reset, which often helps with a sticking deadbolt issue.
You can reset the lock by pressing the button “A”, located on the back panel for 20 seconds!
Alert: Keep in mind that the factory reset process removes all in-app settings so everything in regard to the setup must be re-done from scratch!
This will bring the lock back to factory settings but will not trigger and handling process.
This way use the instructions described previously in the guide to also include the handing process to the factory reset, which should resolve the bolt sticking issue.
Tip: If your Kwikset smart lock doesn’t have an “A” button consult with the user manual for a specific instructions for performing a reset.
Need More Help?
If you’ve tried every troubleshooting step in this guide and your lock is still stuck, you may have a serious problem.
Contact Kwikset Support for further assistance and hopefully, they will help and share the best next steps. Good luck!
Note: Make sure to let them know everything you have experienced and tried!
If your Kwikset smart lock deadbolt sticking, perform a door-handing process on the lock, use the correct user code, and spray the dry lubricant on the lock.
In case that doesn’t help test with a fresh battery set and measure the deadbolt size! If you have found this post helpful, keep visiting our blog for more such guides!
Read Next: Kwikset Halo Sync Failed? – Easy Fix Guide
- Vicks Humidifier Not Steaming? – (Here’s How to Fix!) - October 20, 2023
- Kindle Paperwhite Not Waking Up? – (Try These Solutions) - October 20, 2023
- Why Is My Hisense TV Blinking Red Light? – (Instant Fix) - October 20, 2023