Wondering why your TCL TV glows when off? Well, let’s find out everything in this guide!
If your TCL TV glows when turned off then it is completely normal, especially with the lower-end TCL TV models.
The illumination while off, typically happens when residual light leaks through the backlight circuit and causes the TV screen to be dimly lit for a short period after power off.
The TCL TV might glow when off due to external bright light exposure, backlight issues, or being stuck in standby or energy-saving mode.
The fix, however, might require some extra steps and guided troubleshooting!
Continue reading to discuss the easy steps to troubleshoot your TCL TV!
How to Fix When TCL TV Glows When Off?
Tip: Attempt all of the steps below, in the order that they are listed!
1. Power Cycle Your TCL TV
One of the simplest, yet effective solutions would be to power cycle your TCL TV and quickly resolve any minor glitches and temporary issues.
This method is the ideal solution against any power-related issues, which sometimes result in screen illumination, even when the TV is off.
Here is how to power cycle your TCL TV in easy steps:
- First, turn off your TV using the remote control.
- Then, unplug the TV from the electrical outlet.
- Wait for about 5 minutes for the unit to discharge.
- Plug your TCL TV back directly into the wall outlet.
- Turn on and off your TV using the remote control.
When your TV powers on completely, then turn the unit off and darken your room by switching off all lights. Then you’ll be able to tell whether there is any screen glowing when the TV is off.
If your TV is glowing, then keep reading!
2. Check Ambient Light Conditions!
Another factor for the TCL TV screen illumination while off, could be the external light sources in the room that might be reflecting on the TV screen.
This phenomenon is not common and very rarely, light sources might actually deceive you into thinking that the TCL TV screen glows!
Check the following factors for glow on TV:
- Check the screen of your TCL TV at different times of the day/night.
- Stop all light sources, such as lamps, windows, or bright displays.
- Close your room curtains or blinds to avoid sunlight interference.
If you are sure that there is no chance of direct light exposure on TV but still your TV display screen then this may be due to another type of issue.
So, keep reading and try the other steps!
3. Adjust the TV Picture Settings
An incorrect TV picture setting can sometimes cause the backlighting issue and the light ghosting effect, which makes the TCL TV screen illuminate when off.
To overcome such hurdles, simply adjust your TV picture settings, such as brightness and contrast, to reduce the glow.
How to adjust the TCL TV Picture Settings?
- First, navigate to your TCL TV home screen.
- Go to Settings and then to “Picture Settings”.
- Go down and enter Advanced Picture Settings.
- Adjust the TV Brightness and contrast settings.
- Alternatively, simply reset the picture settings.
Note: Resettings your TCL TV picture settings will revert all settings to the default value!
4. Deactivate TCL TV *Standby Mode*
When the TV is on Standby Mode then the unit will consume a small amount of power even when it’s turned off and makes a little lightning or glowing effect on the display screen.
Simply disabling the standby mode on your TCL TV will come in handy and prevent illumination.
Info: Disabling the standby mode will turn off all status LED lights on your TCL TV!
How to Deactivate the Standby Mode on TCL TV?
- Press the “Home” button on the TV remote control.
- Then, scroll down and move to the “Settings” tab.
- Select the “OK” button on the TV remote control.
- Then choose, “Power” > “Standby LED” > “Off”.
- Finally, exit from the power menu of your TCL TV.
Tip: We recommend rebooting your TCL TV after you’re ready with the steps above!
5. Check for the *Quick Start Mode*
The “Quick Start” mode allows the TV to power on faster by putting it into a low-power standby mode instead of fully turning the TV off.
In that set of thoughts, even when the TCL TV is turned off, the screen might appear brother and fully disabled, which creates the glowing effect.
Here is how to check for the quick start mode on TCL TV:
- First, go back to your TCL TV home screen.
- Press the Settings button on the TV remote.
- Scroll down and choose the System option.
- Next, locate and enter the Power & Energy.
- Then, scroll down and press Quick Start.
- Finally, tap on the toggle button to turn it off.
Reminder: After disabling the quick start mode then turn off your TV and observe if the glowing issue persists when the TV is in its regular off state.
6. Disable the *Power Saving Mode*
The power-saving mode on your TCL TV is a great option to reduce power consumption.
However, sometimes this mode can cause the TV to make a glowing effect on the screen even when the unit is turned off so it’s crucial to disable the option and test the raw TV performance.
Here’s how to disable the power-saving mode on TCL TV:
- First, open the home screen of your TCL TV.
- Navigate and access the TV Settings menu.
- Then, go down in the menu and enter System.
- Next, locate and press Power & Energy.
- Then, scroll down and tap on the Energy Saver.
- Push the toggle button to disable the mode.
Info: Without the power-saving mode enabled, the TCL TV will withdraw substantially more power from the source.
7. Update Your TCL TV Software
Outdated firmware can sometimes cause unusual behavior in TCL TVs.
Therefore when other steps are not working then updating your TCL TV firmware could be the ideal fix whenever the TCL TV glows when off.
Here’s how to update the TCL TV software in easy steps:
- Press the Home button on the TV remote.
- Move the cursor toward the Settings icon.
- Choose the OK button to access the menu.
- Go to More Settings > Device Preferences.
- Enter the About tab, and go to System Update.
- Choose the Network Update from the pop-up.
- When Update prompts, then click OK to confirm.
This process will take a few minutes to completely install the latest updates on your TCL TV software.
Once the process ends, then restart your TV and turn it off to check for the glowing.
8. Use a Power Strip with Switch
If your TCL TV still glows when off then consider using a power strip with a physical on/off switch to power your unit.
Using the strip is a great approach because turning off the TV completely cuts off the residual power from reaching the backlight when you are not using it.
- When the TV is plugged directly into the wall, you cannot stop the current!
In contrast, with a power divider or a strip with an ON/OFF switch, you can easily switch between the power states and stop the power to your TCL TV.
This will guarantee no glowing or any sort of illumination because, without any power to your TCL TV, that would be impossible.
Power Strip with a Switch?
You can simply purchase a new power strip with a switch and plug your TCL TV’s power cord into it.
So feel free to explore power strips with switches, online for a cheap price anytime!
TCL TV Backlight Issue?
If you’re suspecting that your TCL TV is facing a backlight problem and that’s why the screen glows, even when the TV is off, it’s time to seek help.
We recommend simply contacting TCL Support for professional help in terms of repair, replacement, or troubleshooting. Best of luck!
Reminder: Don’t forget to check whether the TCL TV warranty is intact for a full replacement.
When your TCL TV glows when off then power cycle your TV, check for ambient light in the TV surroundings, adjust the picture settings, and disable all TCL TV modes.
In case the issue continues, update your TCL TV firmware or use a power strip with a switch! For more TCL TV easy fix guides, don’t forget to check our blog!
Read Next: How to Fix TCL TV Sound Distortion?
- SimpliSafe Says Entry Sensor Open? (Here’s Your Fix) - February 25, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Offline? (Fix It Fast!) - February 25, 2024
- Sensi Thermostat No C Wire? (Fix & Install Now!) - February 25, 2024