If I buy a new Firestick will I lose my apps? It’s a common question.
The Amazon Firestick is one of the most popular streaming devices that allows you to watch thousands of movies and shows.
However, changing your hardware will have some complications.
You won’t lose your apps if you get a new Firestick, as they’re linked to your account. However, you will need to take some steps to move them from your old device to your new one.
It’s time to clear things up!
If I Buy a New Firestick Will I Lose My Apps – All the Info
Before diving into getting a new Firestick, let’s first understand how the device works and connects with the Amazon servers.
This knowledge will help when you buy a new one and be confident that your data and apps won’t get lost.
Understanding the Firestick App Ecosystem
It’s understandable to think your apps and data are tied to your device.
You must remember that your Firestick runs on a modified version of Android and should be able to run most apps.
The apps on your Firestick will come from the official Amazon App Store.
To access it, you will need to log in using your Amazon account, where all your data will be saved.
Here’s what it all means when it comes to your Firestick, downloaded apps, preferences, and Amazon account:
- Your Amazon account will have all the information from your Firestick.
- Your settings and preferences are saved to your Amazon account, not your device.
- A record of your app downloads is kept on your Amazon account.
- Information on your Firestick is also synced to your Amazon account.
App Ownership and Your Devices
When you download an app from the Amazon Appstore to your Firestick, you’re not actually buying the app. You’re getting a license to use it on your device.
You can install apps to your devices as long as they’re registered to your Amazon account.
This also goes with your subscriptions, as they’re all recorded and synced to your account rather than any individual device.
It’s also the same for app data, as it’s all stored on your device and backed up to your account.
- When you purchase the app, you’re licensing it with your Amazon account.
- You’ll be able to download and install apps on all your Amazon devices.
- It’s not possible to transfer app ownership to a different Amazon account.
- Apps from your old Firestick can be used on other devices on the same account.
Note: There will be apps with restrictions on the number of devices they are installed simultaneously.
What Happens When You Buy a New Firestick
If you upgrade your Firestick and get a new device, you must first register it with your Amazon account.
Doing this will allow you to access your Amazon content from Prime Video and Music.
It will also allow you to download any app purchased or downloaded from the Amazon Appstore.
However, this doesn’t mean you will automatically get your apps and data on your new Firestick when you sign in with your Amazon account.
After getting your new Firestick, here are the first steps you need to take:
- Turn on your TV and plug your new Firestick into a free HDMI port on your TV.
- Switch to the HDMI input of your TV to your new Firestick.
- Use the remote to select your language.
- Choose your WiFi network.
- Enter your WiFi password and connect to your network.
- You will be prompted to Sign In to your existing Amazon account.
- Select your Privacy Settings.
Tip: Once you’re on the Firestick home screen, the setup process is done, and you can access your apps and data.
Backup Your Data Before Getting Rid of Your Old Firestick
Since you’re getting a new Firestick, it’s common to ask, what do I need to do with my old device?
One particular question we get asked is, If I deregister my Firestick, will I lose my apps?
The answer is no, you don’t have to worry about it, as deregistering your Firestick uncouples it from the account.
However, you’ll still need to back up your data from your old device to prevent any loss if something goes wrong during the sync and transfer process.
Here are the steps to properly backup your data from your old Firestick:
- On your old Firestick, open Settings.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Choose the Backup and Restore option.
- Select Enable Backup.
- Choose the data you want to back up.
- Select App Data, Preferences, and Saved Games.
- Select Backup Now.
Note: The backup process takes a few minutes to complete, and you’ll know it’s done when you get the message that says Backup Complete.
Transferring Apps to Your New Firestick
Can you transfer apps from one Firestick to another? After backing up your data on your old Firestick, one of the ways to move them to your new one is to restore the backup you just made.
Doing this is easy as you won’t have to worry about your apps, as it will all be done automatically.
Here’s how to transfer apps to your new Firestick by restoring your backup:
- Connect your new Firestick to your new TV and turn it on.
- Go to your Firestick’s settings.
- Select the My Fire TV menu.
- Choose Backup and Restore.
- Select the Restore option.
- Your Firestick will start restoring your backup.
Tip: Similar to the backup process, it will take a few minutes, and you’ll know it's done since you’ll see a message saying Backup Complete.
How to Sync Your Apps and Settings via the Amazon Appstore
An alternative to backing up and restoring your data from your old Firestick to the new one is to sync it.
Doing this allows you to sync content from your account to your device.
It includes content data from apps, watch history from Prime Video, and purchase history from the Appstore.
To sync your apps and settings to your new Firestick, follow these steps:
- On your Firestick’s home screen, go to Settings.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Go to the Account option.
- Choose Sync Amazon Content.
- Wait for your Firestick to finish the syncing process.
Note: For the sync to succeed, ensure your Firestick is connected to a stable and reliable internet connection.
Sideloading Apps on Your New Firestick
Since your Firestick runs on a version of Android, there are other ways to install apps, especially if you can’t find them on the app store.
One of the ways to do this is to sideload apps from other sources.
These apps are not linked to your Amazon account, so any of the methods above won’t help you move them.
In this case, you will lose these apps unless you sideload them again.
Here are the steps to sideload your apps:
- Go to your Firestick’s Settings.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Choose Developer Options.
- Go to Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Select Enable.
- Go to the Amazon Appstore and download the Downloader app.
- Once installed, open the Downloader app.
- Paste the URL of the APK file you want to sideload.
- Select Go, then Install.
Note: You only want to sideload apps from trusted sources as it opens up your device to security vulnerabilities.
Considerations With Your Apps and New Firestick
After getting all your apps sorted on your new Firestick, you need to take a few more steps to ensure everything runs smoothly.
You might encounter issues since you’re transferring your old data to a new device.
Here are some of the things to watch out for:
Not all apps will be compatible with your Firestick model. However, since you’re getting a new one, most apps should work well after transferring.
If you’re experiencing issues with the app, follow these steps to read the app description on the App Store.
- Open the Amazon App Store on your Firestick.
- Look for the app you’re having issues with.
- Select the app from the search results.
- Scroll down to read the description.
- Under System Requirements, look for Device Compatibility.
Note: You want to ensure your Firestick model is listed in the compatibility information.
Check for Updates
After setting up your apps on your new Firestick, it’s important that you take a second to check for any updates.
These should help fix bugs, improve performance, and enhance security, especially if you’ve moved them to a different Firestick model.
To check for app updates, follow these steps:
- On your Firestick’s home screen, go to the Amazon Appstore.
- Select the Updates tab.
- Choose Update for all apps that need an update.
Note: Don’t forget to update your new Firestick by going to Settings, My Fire TV, and choose the Software Update option.
If I buy a new Firestick will I lose my apps? We’ve answered all the questions here, and you now have a better understanding of how to move your apps and data among your Amazon devices.
Following these steps, you can upgrade your Firestick quickly and get your apps synced up.
To know more about your Firestick, read our blog for troubleshooting steps and guides!
- SimpliSafe Says Entry Sensor Open? (Here’s Your Fix) - February 25, 2024
- SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor Offline? (Fix It Fast!) - February 25, 2024
- Sensi Thermostat No C Wire? (Fix & Install Now!) - February 25, 2024